DLP and DVD/BlueRay

kennya

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
McAlester, OK
Question for you all. I have the Toshiba 57HM167 DLP and am experiencing audio issues. I have had three separate DVD players hooked up to this tv, regular DVD, up-converting DVD and now a PS3. Here is the deal, while watching tv through Dish Network, my volume is usually set anywhere from 25 to 35, and EVERYTHING sounds perfect. When I watch a DVD or BlueRay, I have to put it anywhere from 45 to 50, or higher. The background noise (explosions, music, gun shots) of the movies are extremely loud and the dialogue during the movie is still very low. I can't for the life of me figure out what is wrong. I am not using a home theatre system, this is just the tv speakers. Anyone have an idea why this is happening.

Question for you all. I have the Toshiba 57HM167 DLP and am experiencing audio issues. I have had three separate DVD players hooked up to this tv, regular DVD, up-converting DVD and now a PS3. Here is the deal, while watching tv through Dish Network, my volume is usually set anywhere from 25 to 35, and EVERYTHING sounds perfect. When I watch a DVD or BlueRay, I have to put it anywhere from 45 to 50, or higher. The background noise (explosions, music, gun shots) of the movies are extremely loud and the dialogue during the movie is still very low. I can't for the life of me figure out what is wrong. I am not using a home theatre system, this is just the tv speakers. Anyone have an idea why this is happening.

Possibly. It sounds to me like you are getting the left and right channels of a 5.1 setup. Most of the dialog is carried in the center channel, and if it isn't being mixed into the left and right, you will see this.

The DISH receiver is mostly putting out mono signals that are equally mixed through all three front channels.

I have a 56HM66, and I seem to recall that there were controls for this in the advanced audio section. I'm not at home right now, so I can't check. I think there was a mode where you could feed the TV L+R and have center handled by an amplified speaker.

Next question is how are you connecting these? If HDMI, look at the HDMI menus on the DVD and make sure they are set for 2 channel.

One more test. Do the audio select menu on a disc and select the 2 channel soundtrack and see if this improves the situation. If so, you need to force 2 channel as the default.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)