DLP Televisions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpickell

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 16, 2005
I have a question reguarding upkeep on these televisions. I am scared to death to purchase one because I don't want to be replacing a $600 lightbulb every year.

To anyone out there that has one, how is the upkeep on these things? Am I right to be afraid of these televisions?

The lamp is the only User maintained part on the unit. My Sammy DLP is 25 months old and has about 7,800 hours on the lamp (wife used to run the TV to keep her company when she wasn't working) and the lamp still provides adequate output for viewing. I bought a replacement this month and will keep it in the box until the current lamp fails or the light output drops to an annoying level. Replacement lamp was $199 plus shipping.

For other maintenance concerns, I purchased a good 5-year warranty from my dealer, Ultimate Electronics. I did the same thing when I purchased one of the new technology, front-loading Kenmore washing machines (used that warranty 3 times already). Anything other than a basic CRT TV is really only a couple of generations out of prototype, which means it may have problems that won't be revealed until the units are in the field for awhile. I sleep better knowing that if something does arise, it will be covered until the time that cost of repair will be greater than the cost of a new unit.

I love my Sammy DLP and unless the plasmas drop to an equal price, I'll buy another one in a few years.

I bought a Samsung DLP about two and a half years ago. I leave it on all the time and the bulb is still going strong. I did, however, purchase an extended warranty that covers bulb replacement, and I can guarantee you that right before my warranty is up my bulb will go out! :D

hey Carl...where did ya buy the lamp? For that price, I may buy one just to keep around.

Which type of tv's require a bulb replacement and which ones do not? What is the life expectancy of them? The expensive bulb replacement often is why I have not gotten an HD projector yet.

Thanks guys, I can sleep easy now... I have been wondering about this for quite some time. Every time I find a tv I like it turns out to be a DLP and I just keep hearing all these horror stories about expensive bulb replacement, especially if you use it as a television and not just for movies.

Stargazer said:
Which type of tv's require a bulb replacement and which ones do not? What is the life expectancy of them? The expensive bulb replacement often is why I have not gotten an HD projector yet.

DLPs and LCD/rear projection TVs have an arc lamp for their light source. I don't know about the new JVC technology, but it probably does also. Plasma and LCD flat panels don't use an arc lamp, but then there isn't anything you can do for them over time as their PQ deteriorates (pixels die or whatever the technical jargon is for what happens that causes small spots on the screen to go black).

Carl B said:
DLPs and LCD/rear projection TVs have an arc lamp for their light source. I don't know about the new JVC technology, but it probably does also. Plasma and LCD flat panels don't use an arc lamp, but then there isn't anything you can do for them over time as their PQ deteriorates (pixels die or whatever the technical jargon is for what happens that causes small spots on the screen to go black).
Before buying a LCD screen - set the background to black - or very dark at least and you can see, if there are any "pinholes" - little white dots. Depending on where you buy it, they might exchange it or not. We had the problem with a laptop, but Circuit City exchanged it without a problem.
We have the Sony DLP 55 " and are very satisfied with it.

Carl B said:
I didn't know Sony made DLPs?
Sorry about that Karl - you are correct, we have the KDF 55 - WF 655 LCD Projection - TV - thanks for pointing my nose in the right direction :)

LCD, DLP, and LCOS rear projection make up the microdisplay industry. DLP is the most talked about. Sony's current offering is LCD and is about 40% of the market. JVC is, currently, the only successful LCOS. Sony will be coming out with their version this fall (they currently build one for the upper end market.) Canon makes a front projection LCOS and was going to make a microdisplay, this year, but have decided not too. The hang on the wall TVs are, currently, LCD and Plasma. Their main draw back is price, but that is coming down, like a rock.

Anyone seen/used the newer Samsung hlr5678w (56" DLT) or any of the new 78 series Samsungs? When did/do these come out? I'm in the market for a big TV and DLP sounds like what I want (although I'm a bit gun shy about the viewing angles (i.e. lose quality if you are not directly in the sweet spot right in front)).

j0nnyhb said:
DLP sounds like what I want (although I'm a bit gun shy about the viewing angles (i.e. lose quality if you are not directly in the sweet spot right in front)).

Don't worry about viewing angles w/ a DLP. They are second to only CRT direct view for wide viewing angles w/o color washout.

View a DLP unit for an extended period before purchasing to see if you are susceptible to the rainbow effect. Scan your eyes quickly back and forth during a high contrast scene to see if you can see them. I get headaches from DLP, you may not, that's why I purchase an LCD PJ.

Carl B said:
Don't worry about viewing angles w/ a DLP. They are second to only CRT direct view for wide viewing angles w/o color washout.

Both Plasma and the current generation of LCDs have wider viewing angles than conventional DLPs. In rear projection real world, both Sony LCD and JVC HDILAs have wider vieing angles than conventional DLPs. Having said that, TV viewing is a static event. I have CRT rear projection HD ready set at home. After years of watching folks concern over viewing angle, I found out it is not a very important measure of a TVs use in the real world.

toto said:
Both Plasma and the current generation of LCDs have wider viewing angles than conventional DLPs. In rear projection real world, both Sony LCD and JVC HDILAs have wider vieing angles than conventional DLPs. Having said that, TV viewing is a static event. I have CRT rear projection HD ready set at home. After years of watching folks concern over viewing angle, I found out it is not a very important measure of a TVs use in the real world.

To thread originator bpickell:

Go to your local big-screen TV stores and view the products yourself. Walk sideways from the center of each screen and see where the PQ degrades (i.e., look for color loss first, not image contrast). I think you will find the above information to not be accurate. My prior statement about DLP viewing angles was confirmed only a month ago by an Ultimate Electronics field service technician. I noted the incredibly wide angle from which I could view a DLP screen w/o loss of color depth. He replied that the DLPs were still the only fixed pixel displays that could do that and he works on them all (maybe not the brand new JVCs).

In a home theatre setting, viewing angle is usually not a factor as the room is designed for optimum viewing. In the typical family room or living room TV setting, viewing angle can be a critical factor in family viewing enjoyment.

Local store microdisplays:
RCA Scenium Mustang 3 44"& 50" 135 degree viewing angle (DLP)
Sony Grand Wegas 42" & 50" 150 degree viewing angle (LCD)
JVC DILA 2-52" 160 degree viewing angle (LCOS)
LCD direct view
JVC32" 170 degree viewing angle
Sony V40XBR1 179 degree viewing angle
(All measurements were taken at eye level at distances of 5 to 10 feet under same lighting condition 180 degree viewing angle not paossible as one would be looking at the side of the cabinet All measurements are approximate and conservitive on the high side with microdisplays in favor of the TV and are about right on and more critical on the new generation LCDs. It is probable that the 6 to 8" DLPs have better viewing angles than the traditional 15" to 16" displays. I have measured CRTs in the past at 179 degrees flat screen, 130 degrees curved screen and a current generation plasme, earlier this year at a little less than 170 degrees.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)