DLP TV's price going down big time!

In 7 years I will change a light bulb on my 57" DLP you however will lose 1/2 of the brightness of your Plasma and will be considering its retirement. BTW some TV calibrationists will tell you that there really is no more accurate picture than a properly calibrated RPTV CRT with bug guns in it. You have a strange complaint about blacks. Usually good dark blacks cost more money in TV sets. Sounds like you prefer Plasma or LCD in Torch mode which is extremely inaccurate. IF I put my DLP in dynamic bright mode it will burn my eyes out. Frankly I find the picture on Plasma amost cartoonish at times.

I agree with you 100%!

Don't go by what you see in a showroom! Of course they never have the less expensive sets at anything near ideal settings....... and, the showroom is in no way how it will look at home.

I have two older RPTVs that would blind me if I didn't turn down the settings. My son's tv is a Samsung DLP that has a beautiful picture. I'm just waiting for an excuse to get one.

From what I hear DLP tv's PQ is good, but no where near the new LCD tv's. I may be wrong here.
And people are losing interest in buying fat* TV's, they are interesting in the slim stuff, that weights less too.
I heard bad things about them too, rainbow effect, noise, overheating and if you move your DLP TV around too much it may even screw it up..

You are wrong--just like you think Blu-Ray is a superior technology. :p

Seriously, for image quality it goes like this...

CRT>Plasma (although the Pioneer Kuro evens things up)>DLP>LCD

Unfortunately, the inferior technology is winning just like Blu-Ray, VHS, etc.

I am a big fan of the RPTV...Mits Diamind CRT RPTV, Sony LCos RPTV, Mits Diamond DLP; great bang for the buck! To be honest, I just don't understand the appeal of the flat screen TV...you still have to find a place for the HD receiver, A/V receiver, etc. My parents recently purchased a flat screen just so they could place it on a fairly large HT stand (looks like a credenza), in a 16x14 room no less.:confused: Plus, I have never been a fan of the plasma or LCD - I agree that it looks cartoonish.

Anyway, I really like our Mits 57' Diamond DLP...but after 11 months I have already replaced the lamp (free replacement under warranty) and we have now been waiting 2+ weeks for a parts since the light engine fan died. We're leaving our 5-year old Mits Diamond CRT RPTV with the house when we move in a couple months. I would love to keep it (still looks outstanding), but the extended warranty expires next month and I doubt it will survive a 1200 mile move. I was hoping to replace with a new SEC or Mits Laser DLP, but the SEC is vaporware and the Mits Laser DLP will probably be north of 5K for the 65" set.

I was going to replace our old CRT with a 65" Mits Diamond DLP, but not after our experiences with our 57" model. Instead, I am seriously considering a close-out 70 XBR2 w/5 years warrantly. We've had a 50" Sony 3LCD for the past 3 1/2 years and have nothing but good things to say about the set. On the positive side, prices on all RPTVs make them even more attractive.:)

You are wrong--just like you think Blu-Ray is a superior technology. :p

Seriously, for image quality it goes like this...

CRT>Plasma (although the Pioneer Kuro evens things up)>DLP>LCD

Unfortunately, the inferior technology is winning just like Blu-Ray, VHS, etc.

Inferior? 50 GB > 25 GB storage.
If we all put it in a piece of paper, BR is superior piece of equipment.
The disks are more scratch resistant.

Edit: the system is not perfected yet :p

Why we bringing in the BR discussion in this thread? This is no warzone!

Projectors unfortunately (essentially) require a darkened room. I would hate to have to block out all the arched windows, etc. in my great room. However, I do love their PQ.

I only have one bathroom in my house with no windows. I can't see putting a projector in there.

Offtopic:
IW, I was just having fun with you on the optical disc stuff. Hopefully, I didn't offend you.

You can get a 73" Mits DLP from Amazon or Fry's. I bet they will be even cheaper a week or two after the SuperBowl. Even if I won the lottery I'd buy another DLP (plus a couple of plasmas, some small (<42") LCD's for the bathrooms, and a projector for the main theater room).

From what I hear DLP tv's PQ is good, but no where near the new LCD tv's. I may be wrong here.
And people are losing interest in buying fat* TV's, they are interesting in the slim stuff, that weights less too.
I heard bad things about them too, rainbow effect, noise, overheating and if you move your DLP TV around too much it may even screw it up..

Man is a rationalizing animal...

I own both a 56" Toshiba DLP projector and a 32" LCD (bedroom). The LCD weighs about 1/2 of the Toshiba, but has 1/3 the viewing area, so the Toshiba actually weighs less, inch per inch. The Toshiba is 22" deep, which is deeper than a plasma of the same size, but nowhere near as deep as my last generation CRT projector. If you have a system with DVD players, receivers and other equipment, you will find that the DLP does not add any depth to the cabinetry.

As for the rest, this is just rumor to you and you are willing to accept it untested because it validates a decision you already made.

I moved the Toshiba 1000 miles thuis fall without mishap and moved it several times while deciding how it best fit in the new room. In addition, I shift it often in order to get to cables behind the set, often with the set turned on. I will grant you there is fan noise, but it is less than the cable box's noise. Overheating? I've never seen a report on that for a DLP. Now XBOX, 622 and Motorola DVR, yes, but that doesn't seem to concern you. Rainbow effect is real, but it only bothers a small percentage. I have never seen it on my set, nor has my family. I think it was a bigger deal on earlier generations.

allargon said:
Projectors unfortunately (essentially) require a darkened room. I would hate to have to block out all the arched windows, etc. in my great room. However, I do love their PQ.
Yes, direct sunlight will wash out the picture, but normal daylight is OK, especially if you have blinds or reasonable drapes. I have found no problems using the Toshiba as a normal family TV.

Yes, direct sunlight will wash out the picture, but normal daylight is OK, especially if you have blinds or reasonable drapes. I have found no problems using the Toshiba as a normal family TV.

Dude, I was talking about a front projector like the type you use with a pulldown screen.

I only have one bathroom in my house with no windows. I can't see putting a projector in there.

Offtopic:
IW, I was just having fun with you on the optical disc stuff. Hopefully, I didn't offend you.

You can get a 73" Mits DLP from Amazon or Fry's. I bet they will be even cheaper a week or two after the SuperBowl. Even if I won the lottery I'd buy another DLP (plus a couple of plasmas, some small (<42") LCD's for the bathrooms, and a projector for the main theater room).

This TV just makes me dream, too bad can't see myself spending 6k for a TV yet..
Slideshows: Super TVs for Super Bowl Sunday, Pioneer Elite KURO PRO 110FD 50-inch Plasma 1080p - Electronic House Info and Answers

Elite-KURO-PRO-110FD-50-inch-1080p.jpg

The Kuro elites are NICE, but out of my range. I like the 5080, but its only 720p.

The Mitsu laser tv's dont really have a price yet so itll be interesting to see. The new series 7 Sammy DLP's coming in April look pretty good(61 and 67";67" is rumored around $3000)

I notice some stores will mess with the settings to push the TV the make the most money on. I always check the setting just for grins. The DLP I have is only 11 depth. When I purchased mine a checked the settings on a LCD and DLP, I found they had they DLP set to less than the LCD on all accounts. I changed and BAM! the PQ was the same if not better. I paid less for my DLP and got the same picture quality. PQ IMO is a matter of taste to some extent, so take it with a grain of salt. I picked a Samsung DLP over a Sony LCD. Taking in account how an old analog pic looked on both vs the HD pq and the Digtial PQ. I was hell bent on a Sony until I saw the pictues. 3 years later I do not regret the choice. I am filling the itch for A new about now (after I saw a 1080p at Sams Club,playing a blu-ray DVD)

I notice some stores will mess with the settings to push the TV the make the most money on. I always check the setting just for grins. The DLP I have is only 11 depth. When I purchased mine a checked the settings on a LCD and DLP, I found they had they DLP set to less than the LCD on all accounts. I changed and BAM! the PQ was the same if not better. I paid less for my DLP and got the same picture quality. PQ IMO is a matter of taste to some extent, so take it with a grain of salt. I picked a Samsung DLP over a Sony LCD. Taking in account how an old analog pic looked on both vs the HD pq and the Digtial PQ. I was hell bent on a Sony until I saw the pictues. 3 years later I do not regret the choice. I am filling the itch for A new about now (after I saw a 1080p at Sams Club,playing a blu-ray DVD)

I think a lot of the problem is stores are pushing LCD's. Other than a very expnsive Bravia XBR, most dont really impress me. I prefer the Plasma more. DLP interests me for the price I can get a 61" at. Also, the Mitsu laser and Samsumg LED DLP are supposed to have awesome colors.

One of the things AVS is great for, is reading the owner threads for tv models.

DLP interests me for the price I can get a 61" at. Also, the Mitsu laser and Samsumg LED DLP are supposed to have awesome colors.

One of the things AVS is great for, is reading the owner threads for tv models.
Very true the best thing about avs!:up

I am thinking i want a Samsumg LED DLP! Picture quality is just awesome! I have a Samsung DLP now but that one can go into my bedroom!

Very true the best thing about avs!:up

I am thinking i want a Samsumg LED DLP! Picture quality is just awesome! I have a Samsung DLP now but that one can go into my bedroom!

If I read correctly, the Series 7 LED 61" is coming in April, the 67" LED in June. 67" is said to be $3k, so the 61" should be in my range.

If I were going for a dlp it would be one with led. Do not have to worry about changing a bulb.:)

Inferior? 50 GB > 25 GB storage.
If we all put it in a piece of paper, BR is superior piece of equipment.
The disks are more scratch resistant.

Edit: the system is not perfected yet :p

Why we bringing in the BR discussion in this thread? This is no warzone!

Please stop saying that HD-DVD is 25 gigs for dual layer its 30 :D
Comparison of high definition optical disc formats - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As peter Griffin said "Come On...."

BTW from that article
The first 50 GB dual-layer Blu-ray Disc release was the movie Click, which was released on October 10, 2006. As of January 2008, 50% of Blu-ray movies are published on 50 GB dual layer discs with the remainder on 25 GB discs

Just throwing that out there :p he he.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)