DLP TV's price going down big time!

Its a good reason for sure. If the Mitsu laser performs, itll be nice too. As with cars, Im just hesitant about 1st gen anything.

Check out the AVS forums about the Sammy LED if you haven't already. They usually keep you updated on any problems with a certain display.

Check out the AVS forums about the Sammy LED if you haven't already. They usually keep you updated on any problems with a certain display.

I have. Hoping they improve the new Series 7 in all areas. Still think for the price, the current LED DLP is a good tv. Just seen where a few guys have had to return them for a new one because of issue. I usually get a 3yr warranty with tv's anyways.

The Mitsu laser tv's dont really have a price yet so itll be interesting to see. The new series 7 Sammy DLP's coming in April look pretty good(61 and 67";67" is rumored around $3000)
After reading their press release and talking to a local retailer, we're thinking the 65" Mits laser DLP will be in the 4-5k range when they hit the streets this fall. Personally, I am hesitant to buy anything 1st generation and price is 1-2k more than I am willing to pay. Hopefully the Sammy will set the market price by releasing a quality 60+ set in the 3k range. We shall see.

After reading their press release and talking to a local retailer, we're thinking the 65" Mits laser DLP will be in the 4-5k range when they hit the streets this fall. Personally, I am hesitant to buy anything 1st generation and price is 1-2k more than I am willing to pay. Hopefully the Sammy will set the market price by releasing a quality 60+ set in the 3k range. We shall see.

I agree, thats too much for me. All I saw is the price would be "comparable" ;)

Im pretty excited about the Series 7 Samsung LED. I feel pretty good that the 61" will be in the $2500 range

I have. Hoping they improve the new Series 7 in all areas. Still think for the price, the current LED DLP is a good tv. Just seen where a few guys have had to return them for a new one because of issue. I usually get a 3yr warranty with tv's anyways.

Don't let that forum drive you crazy either. It can give you a idea on what can be fixed (with firmware update) or if it is a manufacturing issue. If you look for everything that could go wrong with that certain tv, you will never buy it. Very very good chance you will be ok with any tv you choose. especially with a three year warranty.

Don't let that forum drive you crazy either. It can give you a idea on what can be fixed (with firmware update) or if it is a manufacturing issue. If you look for everything that could go wrong with that certain tv, you will never buy it. Very very good chance you will be ok with any tv you choose. especially with a three year warranty.

Agreed.

Forums are mainly for problems anyways. I more read the owners thread for PQ comments and comparisons others have to the subject tv and another they own.

If I were going for a dlp it would be one with led. Do not have to worry about changing a bulb.:)
Not sure how the LED's last(brightness) but when a DLP bulb is changed you basicly get a brand new TV all over again. That was my main reason for getting a DLP(very bright by the way) the ability to get a new TV every 3 or so years for the price of a bulb. Although I do have concerns about have a TV with internal moving parts(color wheel, light engine).

Not sure how the LED's last(brightness) but when a DLP bulb is changed you basicly get a brand new TV all over again. That was my main reason for getting a DLP(very bright by the way) the ability to get a new TV every 3 or so years for the price of a bulb. Although I do have concerns about have a TV with internal moving parts(color wheel, light engine).

That's what I think is the selling point for a DLP. All the internal moving parts are contained inside a shoebox size component that the technician removes from the TV. They don't have to come take the whole thing for repair - they just slide out the "box" and take it, or replace it with another "box" and it's done. Talk about ease of repair. Try that with a LCD or Plasma.

Well, good thing about the LED's is they remove the bulb replacement and moving part factors from the equation. Size vs cost is also much better than Plasma and LCD.

That's what I think is the selling point for a DLP. All the internal moving parts are contained inside a shoebox size component that the technician removes from the TV. They don't have to come take the whole thing for repair - they just slide out the "box" and take it, or replace it with another "box" and it's done. Talk about ease of repair. Try that with a LCD or Plasma.
If that shoebox was the cost of a bulb I wouldn't have a concern but to replace a light engine out of pocket can get close to $1000 with labor.

If you believe the ads, LEDs in DLP TVs last at least 20,000 hours and have no brightness degradation...
Samsung finally ships their HL-S5679W LED DLP - Engadget
NuVision's 52LEDLP 1080p LED based DLP priced and dated - Engadget HD

I don't think they are manufactured for that long to verify this claim...

Diogen.

The red and green LEDs last that long or longer, the blue ones are the problem. Blue is always the problem everywhere. That's what's holding up OLED. You should still get about 10K hours out a blue LED. LEDs and LED research have been around for over 40 years now.

Appears on AVS that the 61" LED DLP will have a MSRP of $2699. Not bad if you ask me. The bulb DLP's are pretty cheap. I cant wait to see these guys on the floor.

Appears on AVS that the 61" LED DLP will have a MSRP of $2699. Not bad if you ask me. The bulb DLP's are pretty cheap. I cant wait to see these guys on the floor.

Are you still looking?

What have you narrowed your choices to?

Are you still looking?

What have you narrowed your choices to?

Oh yeah, Im not buying until July regardless ;)

Im watching the 2008 Panny 1080p(30000:1 CR) Plasmas and the 61" LED DLP.

The 5080 Kuro 720p was on my list, but its been discontinued so Im not holding my breath.

Im also still interested in a Sharp or Panny PJ, but it all depends on what kind of house we move in to.

Honestly, the 61" LED has really got my eye at this point.

I subbed to the two big audio/video mags so I can hopefully see some good reviews over the next couple of mo's.

Oh yeah, Im not buying until July regardless ;)

Im watching the 2008 Panny 1080p(30000:1 CR) Plasmas and the 61" LED DLP.

The 5080 Kuro 720p was on my list, but its been discontinued so Im not holding my breath.

Im also still interested in a Sharp or Panny PJ, but it all depends on what kind of house we move in to.

Honestly, the 61" LED has really got my eye at this point.

I hear ya.

If I were to get a dlp it would be the led. If you are going to hang your tv, Sharp or the Panny are good sets. You might want to look at the Samsung 81 series. It got one of the best reviews by any tv from C-NET. By the time June gets here, you could really get a good deal on any of those. Remember Amazon is your friend when ordering.

Good luck!!

I hear ya.

If I were to get a dlp it would be the led. If you are going to hang your tv, Sharp or the Panny are good sets. You might want to look at the Samsung 81 series. It got one of the best reviews by any tv from C-NET. By the time June gets here, you could really get a good deal on any of those. Remember Amazon is your friend when ordering.

Good luck!!

Thanks. Im really not commiting to anything right now until the new models come out. Just laying back and see what happens. I have a $2500-$3000 range and I plan to use it :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)