DMX741 or DMX741U for Six foot Satellite Special

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

avenger

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
Slidell, Louisiana
I just noticed the SALE price offered on Galaxy Marketing for a DMX741 or DMX741U LNBF with a DSF120+ Digital Signal Finder.

I am asking for some information and input on which one of the LNBF would be the best one to get to work with the WS International $69.99 six foot bargain dish.

As always Thanking You in advance.

avenger.

My understanding of Universal Ku-band LNBFs leads me to say that typically, I don't think there is a good reason to use the U model in North America, since our satellites don't use that portion of the freq spectrum. Maybe someone else will correct me if I am wrong.

other than a couple sats over the Atlantic a Universal is useless here in North America. Go with the standard. Much more flexibility

Thanks phlatwound. When I ask earlier for an input, I did not have the stats for either one. Now that I am looking at the stats for both units, I can see some differences and the diffences are that the Ku Band Lo Frequency for the DMX741 is 10750MHZ while for the DMX741U is 9750/10600MHZ. The other difference is on the C/KU switching, for the DMX741 is 22KHZ while for the DMX741U is DiSeqC. As you pointed out it looks like the DMX741 would be a beter choice for North America.
Thanks again.
avenger

KU sats that need the Universal
58W
53W

The universal is needed when the transponder frequency is below 11700. When Cubavision International was on 58W (they have since left) that was the main reason for a Universal. Now its pretty much a moot point

Universal LNB's cover 10700-12900 frequencies which are used mainly in Europe. Since 12200-12900 here in North America are reserved for DBS satellite there is no reason to put up a satellite to cover 10700-12900 when 1/3 of the sat can't be used. Also in Europe and other parts of the world the satellites there have such a huge channel load they need more transponders ;)

I don't have that dish, but from what I've seen, the Ku reception for the dual band LNBFs is ... modest... on a small BUD.
If you have a good Ku dish, maybe it'd be better to optimize 6'er for C-only.
And for that, the dual output DMX242 or GeoSat C2 are reported to be preferable (see comments in the review section).

And though I say this tongue in cheek...
... if you wanted even better performance, a C-only orthomode feed with two standard C-band LNBs would be best.
We have a thread discussing those, too. ;)

Thanks to all for the replies, right after I saw iceberg post reinforcing that an Universal LNBF was not much used for North America,.....I orderd one from our sponsor (Galaxy Marketing), the price was very light and easy on my wallet. I hope that it wont be too much of a problem setting it up. As soon as I receive it, and get a chance to install it, will give an update on the progress. Since all my pine trees were removed after "Katrina", right now my backyard is a mini swamp. I was told that pine trees suck alot of water from the ground.

Thanks again

avenger.

Just one persons opinion but I don't think you will be satisfied with the Ku performance of the DMX741 on the 6ft dish, which would be outperfomed with a dedicated 36in Ku dish. Its not that DMX741 is a bad product, its just a reality of whats possible on the 6ft dish. For best results, use a dedicated Ku or C lnb on the 6ft dish.

mr3p, I am already commited to the DMX741, I will play with it when it arrives and hopefully it works out right for me. Thanks for the heads up.

Well here I am back. Cannot get a good quality signal after removing my old C/KU CK1 LNBF and replacing it with the new DMX741 LNBF on my six foot satellite special. I know that there are some threads, but have not found them, I am looking for the ones explaining how to set and adjust for the focal point of the DMX741 LNBF to the six foot special satellite dish. Now that the weather is good, I am trying to set it up. So far I have been at it for over a hour with no good results, I don't know if the LNBF is clocked right, and how close or far is it suppose to be to the dish. Any information is greatly appreciated.
Thank You
avenger.

junk the thing and get you a dedicated c band lnb.I bought a 741u and played with the thing for 2 nights and still could not get a sniff of a signal and i know that i can aim a dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)