Do all new "D" customers go through this?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

waltinvt

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2004
Vermont
This all started back when I posted this thread: http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/313139-Yeah-I-know-it-s-been-a-while , so I won't re-hash all that.

In a nutshell, I called DirectV in early June and signed on for whole house DVR with 6 TV locations. They charged me $234 and shipped equipment (1@H44, 3@C31 minis & 2@H25s + all hardware including the dish showed up in a couple days). They said installer would call me within a couple days. One week, no word, so I called. Things got kind of weird then as they were surprised stuff was sent direct to me but they said they'd get an installer to call. Couple more days finally got install scheduled.

Guy showed up and first thing he wanted to know was why didn't I buy the equipment from him and then said something about additional charges for wiring, etc. I said I had know idea - this is how "D" set it up. He installed the Dish and an 8 port switch on the side of the house where my old "E" dish was and in fact, used the 3 lines of Dish network coax that was still there (10-12 years old). Bottom line was he only actually hooked up the H44 and one mini before he had to leave. He said it might be a week or two before he could get back and I agreed to try to install the rest myself and he'd check back to see how I was doing. He never did.

I was pulling my hair out trying to finish the rest when I got a follow-up "welcome" call from DirectV. She asked how I like my service so far and I'm sure was not expecting what I proceeded to tell her. Bottom line was she would give me a free swap of one of my H25s for an HD-DVR, send a tech out to install it, plus he would inspect / finish everything else.

That installer showed up July 10. Took one look and said EVERYTHING had to be re-done, including relocating the dish. He mad a few calls and eventually had me talk with a lady who said she was part of "D"s dish-mover program. She said they'd have to re-schedule for what she called a full "re-install" for July 22nd and that although she'd temporarily post an additional charge of $232.09 to my account, it would be credited back and this would not cost me anything.

I signed up June 13 and as of today (July 17) I still don't have everything installed, I paid $244 up front, plus my first month's bill has been auto-deducted and I have an additional charge of $232 posted on my account. I'm really trying to remain calm here and wait and see how the "re-install" goes next Monday but figured I'd run this all by you guys. Does this seem right to you and if not, is there some kind of special "D" phone number I can call?

Thanks for listening guys,
WaltinVt

That's ridiculous! Send an email here: ellen.filipiak@directv.com That's the office of the president. Tell them what happened. They are good at fixing issues like this. Let us know how it goes.

+1

You are getting jerked around, there is no excuse for the shoddy install and nothing you've said should have initiated any additional costs.

Thanks Guys. I just emailed Ellen and will let you know what happens.

you got a bad tech, it happens with either service
ellen should fix you up

you got a bad tech, it happens with either service
ellen should fix you up

Oh, I know. After 10+ years with Dish, followed by 5 with Charter Cable, I think I've seen it all. I won't judge DTV so much by what's happened so far but I do expect them to straighten this mess out. I tend to be loyal to a company as long as they treat me fairly but once they go too far over my "ouch line", that's it. In my five years with Charter, "E" has sent me all kinds of enticing "deals" to come back but I went to "D" instead.

That's ridiculous! Send an email here: ellen.filipiak@directv.com That's the office of the president. Tell them what happened. They are good at fixing issues like this. Let us know how it goes.

I emailed as you suggested and soon received a call from Lisa at the office of the president (of "D") ;-) Very nice lady and she apologized and assured me this will all be straightened out and she'll stay on top of it so it does. Guess I'll find out soon enough. She sounded very sincere, so I'm optimistic. ThanKS Raoul - I owe ya one. ;-)

I haven't heard of a new customer being shipped the equipment ahead of time. When we had ours installed the tech brought the equipment out to us.

I do need to call and see if a tech will come back out and move our dish though. When we had it installed it was in January. Now the trees are in full bloom and a windy day causes signal issues.

I emailed as you suggested and soon received a call from Lisa at the office of the president (of "D") ;-) Very nice lady and she apologized and assured me this will all be straightened out and she'll stay on top of it so it does. Guess I'll find out soon enough. She sounded very sincere, so I'm optimistic. ThanKS Raoul - I owe ya one. ;-)

That's what we are here for! BTW, check my tag line. ;)

LoL I havnt seen you called chip in a few years... that brings back some memories of the early days when I was a young tech. Anyhow, my personal opinion on topic is you happened to end up getting transfered to a reseller and did not sign up through directv at all. THis is rare but does happen. Whatever csr took your origional call possibly was taking kickbacks to send your new activation to a reseller. I have never seen D* ship a dish itself, Ive seen them dropship receivers and LNBs and power inserters (that kinda suprised me, but I have seen it) but realistically speaking, what customer (aside maybe 1/100) are capable of selfinstalling a satellite now. I also think you got an independant contractor as an installer or maybe a crappy retail guy. And by saying that, that gives a bad name to all contractors and retail guys i know, so i say that uneasily. But I dont think any legit tech could get away with only installing two out of six boxes and just leaving. I mean there would be no way to close the work order... Something just doesnt make sense there.

Make sure to keep us posted on the story.

I'm still scratching my head over you being shipped all that equipment directly. It sounds like that first installer really got screwed over somehow and was in no mood to do the job, certainly by nothing you did. If this post was by a new poster my first thought would have been they are leaving something important out of the story, but obviously that's not the case here.

LoL I havnt seen you called chip in a few years... that brings back some memories of the early days when I was a young tech. Anyhow, my personal opinion on topic is you happened to end up getting transfered to a reseller and did not sign up through directv at all. THis is rare but does happen. Whatever csr took your origional call possibly was taking kickbacks to send your new activation to a reseller. I have never seen D* ship a dish itself, Ive seen them dropship receivers and LNBs and power inserters (that kinda suprised me, but I have seen it) but realistically speaking, what customer (aside maybe 1/100) are capable of selfinstalling a satellite now. I also think you got an independant contractor as an installer or maybe a crappy retail guy. And by saying that, that gives a bad name to all contractors and retail guys i know, so i say that uneasily. But I dont think any legit tech could get away with only installing two out of six boxes and just leaving. I mean there would be no way to close the work order... Something just doesnt make sense there.

This is also what I was thionking, he didn't get set up thru D*, maybe a Costco/Best Buy sign up ... thats the only time I have ever seen them send equipment directly to the sub on an Install.

This is also what I was thionking, he didn't get set up thru D*, maybe a Costco/Best Buy sign up ... thats the only time I have ever seen them send equipment directly to the sub on an Install.
There was a time when equipment was shipped directly and techs would be dispatched. But that was years ago. My understanding was that DirecTv was doing all the installations in-house and the tech arrived with the equipment. Rare situations & remote locations might still be covered by an HSP (Home Service Provider). So the answer to the original question here is: NO, most new customers get connected promptly.

Joe

I know that MasTec did my installation for DIRECTV back in 2009. They did a very good job & I've had no problems with DTV. To hear about stuff like this makes me feel bad because I like my DTV service & I'd recommend DTV to anybody,even IF they don't pay me for recommending a friend.

I know that MasTec did my installation for DIRECTV back in 2009. They did a very good job & I've had no problems with DTV. To hear about stuff like this makes me feel bad because I like my DTV service & I'd recommend DTV to anybody,even IF they don't pay me for recommending a friend.
There ya go,
MasTec is one of the largest HSPs. They may well have been thrown under the bus on the in-house situation.

Joe

<snip......>...... my personal opinion on topic is you happened to end up getting transfered to a reseller and did not sign up through directv at all. THis is rare but does happen. Whatever csr took your origional call possibly was taking kickbacks to send your new activation to a reseller. I have never seen D* ship a dish itself, Ive seen them dropship receivers and LNBs and power inserters (that kinda suprised me, but I have seen it) but realistically speaking, what customer (aside maybe 1/100) are capable of selfinstalling a satellite now. I also think you got an independant contractor as an installer or maybe a crappy retail guy. And by saying that, that gives a bad name to all contractors and retail guys i know, so i say that uneasily. But I dont think any legit tech could get away with only installing two out of six boxes and just leaving. I mean there would be no way to close the work order... Something just doesnt make sense there.

I know. Everyone I've talked to says the same - it doesn't make sense that they sent all the equipment to me. I really thought it was DirectV I called and the work order they emailed said "directv@directv.com" but somehow a company called "DirectSat" got in the mix. I honestly can't remember all the verbals at this point.

Also, the original installer (who left without finishing), never had me sign anything. After he left I noticed tucked inside the back cover of the brochure that was in the box, was a customer agreement form. The second installer (who's coming back Monday to do the re-install) took it with him.

Another question. This guy that's coming back said he has to move the dish, which I don't understand. The first installer put it right where the old "E" dish was and the reception seems fine. The second guy says it can no longer go there because of new rules. It's not on the roof but rather on the corner of a shed dormer, just below the side of the roof. Never had any weather problems (other that occasional rain fade) there. He said its because you have to stand on the breeze-way roof to get to it and they're no longer allowed to stand on roofs. The breese-way roof is only about 7 feet off the ground at that end, so very easy to access and has a very slight pitch. It's a piece of cake standing on it and the dish is an easy reach from there. Any other place he moves it to will require working off an extension ladder.

I know. Everyone I've talked to says the same - it doesn't make sense that they sent all the equipment to me. I really thought it was DirectV I called and the work order they emailed said "directv@directv.com" but somehow a company called "DirectSat" got in the mix. I honestly can't remember all the verbals at this point.

Also, the original installer (who left without finishing), never had me sign anything. After he left I noticed tucked inside the back cover of the brochure that was in the box, was a customer agreement form. The second installer (who's coming back Monday to do the re-install) took it with him.

Another question. This guy that's coming back said he has to move the dish, which I don't understand. The first installer put it right where the old "E" dish was and the reception seems fine. The second guy says it can no longer go there because of new rules. It's not on the roof but rather on the corner of a shed dormer, just below the side of the roof. Never had any weather problems (other that occasional rain fade) there. He said its because you have to stand on the breeze-way roof to get to it and they're no longer allowed to stand on roofs. The breese-way roof is only about 7 feet off the ground at that end, so very easy to access and has a very slight pitch. It's a piece of cake standing on it and the dish is an easy reach from there. Any other place he moves it to will require working off an extension ladder.

More clues,
DirectSatUSA is yet another HSP (Home Service Provider). They too may well be dismissed as DirecTv moves into installations. This ladder rule will be fun to watch. It seems DirecTv is giving away their main market advantage......a dish that can go almost anywhere.
Report how it goes.

Joe

Sounds like some Bullsh!t retailer using fulfillment through a distributor has the equipment shipped to you, and then they sent you a contract installer to go out and do the install.

The way your susposed to do this is go through Directv fulfillment and have Directv send the equipment out with the installed.

The reason why I say Bullsh!t, is because thats not the most efficient way of doing things. Shipping equipment to the customer always is an issue.

HSPs are considered inhouse just fyi. Contractors are the 1099 guys. Direcsat is normally reputable, and I highly doubt one of their employees could pull this off. Its just bizaar. HSPs are not the enemy. Ive enjoyed working for HSPs in different areas. Mastec and DirecSat both.

Sounds like some Bullsh!t retailer using fulfillment through a distributor has the equipment shipped to you, and then they sent you a contract installer to go out and do the install.

The way your susposed to do this is go through Directv fulfillment and have Directv send the equipment out with the installed.

The reason why I say Bullsh!t, is because thats not the most efficient way of doing things. Shipping equipment to the customer always is an issue.

Hell, if they would send me equipment, I'd have it installed before they could get someone scheduled to come out !

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts