Do I eally need a new 2 year agreement for the hopper

bha19

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
usa
I am a loyal long standing customer. When I called Dish to find out how to upgrade to the Hopper they told me I needed $100 and a 2 year agreement or $500 and no agreement. Is this correct? If so it is not worth it to me to upgrade since I don't want another 2 year agreement.

2 year agreement is standard for leased systems. If you buy your equipment, you can pretty much do whatever you want though.

you can doublecheck via DIRT:

On the bottom of the main forum page in the section marked "Online Support Staff," you'll see the DIRT (Dish Internet Response Team) usernames in red with @DISH Network at the end. Those are official reps from Dish that are active on the forum right now. Just send them a private message with your account or phone number.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/forum.php (scroll down to the bottom)

Last edited:
Only you can determine if having a two year commitment is worth it, you can cancel while under the commitment by paying the ETF or you can stay for 2 more years. If you buy, you are free to cancel but your upfront costs are certainly higher.

Go to dish depot and buy your receiver the hopper sling starts at 199 .I have been with dish over 13 years and have only owned all my receivers .

Ditto here. I buy all my receivers from Mark at DISH DEPOT and he allows trade ins for credit towards a new receiver, if you bought your old one from him. And while it last legally , NO TAX if you are living in any state except Florida.

Go to dish depot and buy your receiver the hopper sling starts at 199 .I have been with dish over 13 years and have only owned all my receivers .
1) Are there any problems with activation if I buy my receivers?
2) Do I still need the Dish Network protection plan at $7.00 a month if I own my equipment?

Not trying to be a smart#@s, but what is the benefit of buying the equipment and going without a contract if you are going to stay with Dish anyway?

2) Do I still need the Dish Network protection plan at $7.00 a month if I own my equipment?

1. Shouldn't be.
2. You never "need" the protection plan. It will work for you with owned equipment, if that's what you mean. I have the plan.

Ditto here. I buy all my receivers from Mark at DISH DEPOT and he allows trade ins for credit towards a new receiver, if you bought your old one from him. And while it last legally , NO TAX if you are living in any state except Florida.

Yep, I think Mark has a nice business. He allowed me to trade in two 722s that I didn't buy from him for two new Hoppers with Sling.

Not trying to be a smart#@s, but what is the benefit of buying the equipment and going without a contract if you are going to stay with Dish anyway?

I just like to own all my equipment I have had so many different receivers over the years I think they were like 2800 5800 301 dish player 508 510 522 625 622 hopper with sling and so many switches 34 44 64 and so on . Some of the numbers might be wrong I had so many but I don't have a contract with dish and I can do what ever I want with them if a new receiver comes out tomorrow I can get it I . I am glad I did not get the 721 or 922 . I enjoy what I do it's more of a hobby that started 13 years ago . When I first signed up with dish you bought your receivers and I just kept it that way .

No the activation went smooth the csr rep was very nice and the hopper has a 1 year warranty I also called in a week later and had my old 622 turned back on . My hopper was at my house in 3 days and up and running the only thing I forget was a single node so I only had two tuners for a week till I bought one at amazon for 25 dollars . Good luck the hopper is a very nice receiver

I enjoy what I do it's more of a hobby that started 13 years ago . When I first signed up with dish you bought your receivers and I just kept it that way .

That is what I tell my wife that it is a hobby. Keeps her off my A--. LOL. It has been a very expensive hobby that I enjoy too. It would have been a lot less expensive for the equipment if we were with Direct TV, but I think Dish equipment is much better and has more features since I started comparing the two in 2007. I could care less on which company has the best program prices and also don't care who has the most HD channels. They seem to be kinda close to each other anyway.

I've owned all my equipment back to the old Dishplayer. I don't like contracts, whether I think I will be with a company 6 months or 6 years. I prefer not to be encumbered by a contract. In case something unforeseen occurs and I need to drop down a few programming packages or stop service, I like to have that option without being penalized by ETF's. I've always been able to sell my equipment for a fair price when I want something new.

I also don't like paying an upgrade fee for something I don't own and then being responsible for the full price on a piece of used equipment should one of those unforeseen things happen. I'm just one of those cup half empty people.

Is that price for owned or leased hopper? I ask because that's Dish price to lease HWS. And if it is, is that new or used?

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

200.00 isn't bad considering dish told me its gonna cost me 200.00 to upgrade to sling. I'm out on contract in another year and my new customer credits are gone. I'd rather just buy it if I want the sling vs being locked in another 2 year deal and not being able to negotiate the price. Least if I buy it then I have wiggle room when my 2 years is up.

Is that price for owned or leased hopper? I ask because that's Dish price to lease HWS. And if it is, is that new or used?

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

The price is for a brand new it the box that you own .I think it is a great deal when I read some people are paying 100 to 200 to lease .

If I wouldn't have been able to get my HWS for free, I would have bought my own equipment for the same price. The way I see it, since it was free for the hardware and a 2 year contract I can live with that. Now, if I would have had to pay $200, plus 2 year contract, Plus at the end of 2 years I don't own the equipment!!! No brainer for me. I do still wish that if you bought your own equipment you didn't have to pay $7 for each TV. I would definitely buy my own equipment to save that money.

That $7 is not about the equipment. That is the programming fee for an additional room, always has been. That's why no difference if leased or owned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)