Do I eally need a new 2 year agreement for the hopper

That $7 is not about the equipment. That is the programming fee for an additional room, always has been. That's why no difference if leased or owned.
I know what it's for, my thing is that I don't see where it costs Dish more to provide the programming in 1 room vs 6 rooms. On a hardware side the infrastructure is already in place to provide the bandwidth necessary to get the video stream to your dish, and having 1 tv doesn't cost Dish anymore in bandwidth than 5 tv's. Now, it could be on the licensing end, but I still don't see how. With cable you don't pay any extra to have the content on 1 tv vs 10 tv's unless you get one of their STB's. The digital converters that Comcast provides don't cost anything extra per month. It might be that Dish is able to keep the prices lower per month by licensing out the number of TV's? That still feels like a little bit of a rip off. If you have an extra bedroom that doesn't get used very often you are paying a licensing fee for a TV that doesn't get used much. If i'm missing what the programming fee is covering that costs Dish more to have more TV's in one house, I would like to know.

I do wish it was more like how cable providers do their cable modems. If you rent the modem from the provider, you pay $$ per month. If you buy your own modem, then you save the $$ per month.

I do wish it was more like how cable providers do their cable modems. If you rent the modem from the provider, you pay $$ per month. If you buy your own modem, then you save the $$ per month.
That's comparing broadband internet (apples) to TV transmission (oranges). Do you know of any cable providers that allow you to buy a TV set top box outright to save the monthly fee for that outlet? Many have locked out all clear QAM signals and require you to rent their cable box, which doesn't even have trick play capabilities and cost more than what Dish is charging for a Hopper/Joey outlet.

I think that's why some people see 34.99 for TV with dish or direct and go wow and sign up only to get their first bill of 50.00+ and are angry but don't understand that price doesn't include the dvr or box fees. I agree though if you buy they should waive the box fee. How many people are buying their box vs leasing them? If dish would just say ok sign up with us and get a price break for 2 years. First year you get a good one and second you get a decent enough one to stay. I think more would stick around.

I know what it's for, my thing is that I don't see where it costs Dish more to provide the programming in 1 room vs 6 rooms. On a hardware side the infrastructure is already in place to provide the bandwidth necessary to get the video stream to your dish, and having 1 tv doesn't cost Dish anymore in bandwidth than 5 tv's. Now, it could be on the licensing end, but I still don't see how. With cable you don't pay any extra to have the content on 1 tv vs 10 tv's unless you get one of their STB's. The digital converters that Comcast provides don't cost anything extra per month. It might be that Dish is able to keep the prices lower per month by licensing out the number of TV's? That still feels like a little bit of a rip off. If you have an extra bedroom that doesn't get used very often you are paying a licensing fee for a TV that doesn't get used much. If i'm missing what the programming fee is covering that costs Dish more to have more TV's in one house, I would like to know.

And Cable charges (at least in most/many cases) for the first box. Dish does not. And still with all your concern on this, Dish is generally cheaper. If you don't think Cable charges you, think again, they just do it in a different way.

Considering the hws is $149 for retailers. It is beyond my comprehension how dishdepot can sell them at $199 with free shipping & come out ahead.

With cable though you do not have to get one of their STB, you only have to have a digital converter box. Now it's been a while, but I know for my parents they have 10 tv's in the house with a digital converter on each and didn't pay for any of them directly.

And yes Dish does charge for the first box, they charge $10 for the DVR fee.

Granted you can't buy a cable box and use on the provider, but dish gives us that option to buy them and use them on their service.

With cable though you do not have to get one of their STB, you only have to have a digital converter box. Now it's been a while, but I know for my parents they have 10 tv's in the house with a digital converter on each and didn't pay for any of them directly.
More and more cable companies are taking away the digital converted box option (hence my clear QAM comment earlier), encrypting everything except locals and PI/shopping channels, and requiring a $et top box on every TV. In my area, Comcrap charges $17 for the DVR (even on the 1st TV), and $10 for the cheapest set top box (which doesn't even access the main DVR), which is way more expensive than either sat company's fees.

So on my bill there is a $7.00 protection plan. You are saying I don't need that?

If you need a service call, you can always start the Protection plan right then. Keep it for 6 months and then cancel it.

I am trying to figure this thread out.

I like the fact that buying the units means that you do not have a 2 year contract with Dish and if I don't like the Hopper/Joey system I can cancel my Dish account at any time.

Are you saying that if one buys a Hopper and a Joey, and then the Protection Plan for $7.00 a month, Dish will replace your defective unit with one of theirs if you have to make a service call?

If so, then does this apply only for 1 year since that is the warranty on a new purchased unit?
or
Does it apply for as long as you keep paying for the Protection Plan?

Why did you say to only keep the Protection Plan for 6 months?

Does owning a Hopper/Joey system mean that you still pay for the Dish programing but you are not paying the $17.00 a month fee for the two units.

If I own the units, Will I have to install it myself or can I pay Dish $100.00 or what ever their going rate is to install it for me?

Does owning a Hopper/Joey system mean that you still pay for the Dish programing but you are not paying the $17.00 a month fee for the two units.
There is zero financial benefit to owning your own equipment. If anything it actually costs more to own since you have to buy the equipment. All the monthly fees stay the same as they are all outlet fees whether leased or owned.

The average customer should just be leasing and signing the 2 year agreement. There are a small group of people that buy equipment to avoid contracts, want to self-install equipment, or exceed lease limits.

Last edited:
I am trying to figure this thread out.

I like the fact that buying the units means that you do not have a 2 year contract with Dish and if I don't like the Hopper/Joey system I can cancel my Dish account at any time.

Are you saying that if one buys a Hopper and a Joey, and then the Protection Plan for $7.00 a month, Dish will replace your defective unit with one of theirs if you have to make a service call?

If so, then does this apply only for 1 year since that is the warranty on a new purchased unit?
or
Does it apply for as long as you keep paying for the Protection Plan?

Why did you say to only keep the Protection Plan for 6 months?

If I own the units, Will I have to install it myself or can I pay Dish $100.00 or what ever their going rate is to install it for me?

1st point. Look at the difference between the cancellation fee vs the cost of buying the equipment. It may be cheaper to pay the fee. But I doubt you'll want to cancel. The system is that good.

Dish will always replace equipment, owned or leased. If it's failed receiver, they will send you a replacement and all you pay is $17 to ship trhe old one back. If you require an on site tech visit the cost is $95. So instead you start the protection plan for $7/month. Maintain it for 6 months then cancel it.. If Dish initiates the visit due to info obtained when the unit phones home there is no charge. This applies even after your 2 year commitment. I replaed my old 722 numerous times even though I was out of contract. All I paid was the shipping.
I have been with Dish for 15 years. I used the protection plan once.

You pay the same fees for programing/equipment each month, owned or leased.

How about if my contract is up but i chose to put my account on pause instead of canceling it, weather i bought the receivers outright or lease and i have the protection plan from the beginning til the day i put the account on pause, are they gonna charge for installation if i choose to upgrade from 722k to Hopper? thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)