Do I need DVR service to pause/rewind live tv?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

WakeBdr

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 27, 2004
Cumming, GA
Do I need the DVR service that is $10 a month in order to pause/rewind live tv? I don't ever use the DVR to record anything on a schedule. I only use the DVR functionality to pause/rewind live tv when I'm watching sports. So, do I need the $10 month DVR service in order to do that?

Let me reword that a little bit. I already have the DVR service now, but I'm wondering if I can cancel it to save $10 a month and still retain the ability to pause/rewind live tv.

I don't think Directv would even allow you to drop the DVR service from a DVR. They would force you to get a receiver instead (instead of a DVR)

I don't think Directv would even allow you to drop the DVR service from a DVR. They would force you to get a receiver instead (instead of a DVR)

Now that you mentioned it, i recall them saying if you had a DVR, you were required to have the DVR funtions.
That said, I think its dumb rule.

Let me reword that a little bit. I already have the DVR service now, but I'm wondering if I can cancel it to save $10 a month and still retain the ability to pause/rewind live tv.

I don't believe DTV will allow this. Dish will by using a 211 receiver with a customer purchased external hard drive and a 1 time $40 fee to activate it but to my knowledge that's the only way.

Now that you mentioned it, i recall them saying if you had a DVR, you were required to have the DVR funtions.
That said, I think its dumb rule.

I think it is dumb that the basic functions of a DVR are called a "service." If anything, it should be in the box lease fee instead of a separate charge. But then you get into price gouging on more than one DVR like the cable companies do. So, in that case, I prefer they way DirecTV does it. But they should at least allow you to exchange the DVR for a standard HD receiver if you don't want DVR service any more.

But they should at least allow you to exchange the DVR for a standard HD receiver if you don't want DVR service any more.

agreed.

But yeah cable is crazy. Here Comcast charges you 17.95 per HD DVR...and the 1st one is included but only in specific packages and usually for 6 months

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)