Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jvfan57

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 28, 2015
WA
Hello again,

Currently looking at getting a 65" or larger 4K RVU Ready TV. Don't have internet as I use my company mobile phone's data for that part.

Do I need to get internet for the 4K RVU TV to get networked with my HR54 Genie? If NO, can someone explain how the network connection is done.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello again,

Currently looking at getting a 65" or larger 4K RVU Ready TV. Don't have internet as I use my company mobile phone's data for that part.

Do I need to get internet for the 4K RVU TV to get networked with my HR54 Genie? If NO, can someone explain how the network connection is done.

Thank you.

How many tv's hooked up to directv do you currently have? If you have more than one, then chances are that you have a DECA set-up. You don't need the internet for an RVU set-up, you only need two coaxial cables running from, at least, a two-way splitter, connected to the single cable running from your satellite dish, one to your HR54 & the other running to your RVU tv. This is where I hate the fact that I'm posting this from a Kindle Fire, because it is next to impossible to give a link to what you'd actually need for connecting your RVU tv to your HR54..... http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=02&p=DECAUSBKIT&d=DIRECTV-Broadband-DECA-with-USB-Power-(DECAUSBKIT)&c=Satellite Components&sku= You need this to connect the cable to your RVU tv. I believe that only certain LG, Samsung, & Sony tv's are RVU capable, otherwise you'll need a C61k client for your 4k tv to watch 4k programming.

Not sure why you are paying extra to get very little in return?
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=02&p=WVB&d=DIRECTV-Wireless-Video-BridgeHR34HR44-Genie-DVR-Receiver(WVB)&c=Satellite Accessories&sku=
You need one of these above, but as on now all 4KUHD is via internet....
Direct will be slowly be rolling out a few 4K channels.....But expect it to take years before we get alot of 4K channels...
Yes, this, the last statement.

4K has not been solidified as a standard from both a physical topology nor logical protocol perspective yet (friends in the industry getting ready to move from HD to 4K tell me so :) ). This process is still a few years away.

Also remember that local affiliates (from a broadcast perspective) and any other production house do not simply "flip a switch" to go from 720p/1080i HD up to 4K. It takes the same amount of sunk cost to get to 4K as it did to upgrade to HD. It's typically measured in the millions of dollars.

This is why the Internet is predominantly used (ease of locomotion but still issues with data caps) and why the birds in the sky haven't had a whole lot of capacity made available just yet (it's much more bandwidth-intensive than HD). On the flip side, in cinematography, the opposite is definitely true -- pretty much everything is being filmed in 4K (in some cases, 8K), and is down-converted during post-production for today's layout of primarily HD-enabled devices.

So is there a separate COAX SAT INPUT on the 4K RVU TV other than the normal ANTENNA/CABLE INPUT that you normally have on any TV?

So is there a separate COAX SAT INPUT on the 4K RVU TV other than the normal ANTENNA/CABLE INPUT that you normally have on any TV?

No its wireless thats why you need Directs transmitter I listed above....
On a Sony you just select the Direct RVU input....

No its wireless thats why you need Directs transmitter I listed above....
On a Sony you just select the Direct RVU input....
Not for RVU, you only need the Wireless Video Bridge for a C41W wireless client. That's the only thing that the Wireless Video Bridge works for. You need the coaxial cable for your RVU TV. It'll be hooked up to something like this http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...ower-(DECAUSBKIT)&c=Satellite Components&sku= . The coaxial cable hooks up to the coaxial input end of it, & then you connect the ethernet end to the ethernet input on your RVU TV via ethernet cable(supplied), using the USB part of this device connected to the USB input of your TV to power it up so that it can work. If you are advising the OP to get a C41W wireless client, which is not 4k capable, then yes, he does need the Wireless video Bridge for that. To the OP, if you are confused by all of this, just get the Directv installer to set up your RVU TV for you after you get it. it'll still cost you the same ($7.00 per month?) as if you got a client anyway.

If they have RVU TV's that can connect wirelessly to a Genie(via Wireless Video Bridge of course, AND WITHOUT the C41W wireless client), then that is definitely news to me. Is it the 2016 models that would do that? Who makes it?

Thanks all for your suggestions so far. Me thinks it's better for me to just get a C61K client, hook it up to an 8-way splitter, then add to HR54's network. Seems a lot simpler! Then I can choose any 4K TV I want.

Not for RVU, you only need the Wireless Video Bridge for a C41W wireless client. That's the only thing that the Wireless Video Bridge works for. You need the coaxial cable for your RVU TV. It'll be hooked up to something like this http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...ower-(DECAUSBKIT)&c=Satellite Components&sku= . The coaxial cable hooks up to the coaxial input end of it, & then you connect the ethernet end to the ethernet input on your RVU TV via ethernet cable(supplied), using the USB part of this device connected to the USB input of your TV to power it up so that it can work. If you are advising the OP to get a C41W wireless client, which is not 4k capable, then yes, he does need the Wireless video Bridge for that. To the OP, if you are confused by all of this, just get the Directv installer to set up your RVU TV for you after you get it. it'll still cost you the same ($7.00 per month?) as if you got a client anyway.
This is the correct solution, and fyi all rvu DOES INDEED REQUIRE Internet to function.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This does not exist

I know, or at least I was very confident that they didn't exist. I was mainly being sarcastic. The bigger question then about RVU tv's requiring internet connection, would that include all tv's hooked up for 4k, whether by RVU or by C61k?

This is the correct solution, and fyi all rvu DOES INDEED REQUIRE Internet to function.

But it would be connected to the internet via either the Genie or a Cinema Connection Kit. It wouldn't directly be connected to the internet(you wouldn't run an Ethernet cable from it directly to a router or hub, or have it connected wirelessly directly to a router?). To the OP, just get an installer to set you up.

is internet required cuz it's needed for 4K VOD?

That's a really good question, especially if you live in a rural area where only heavily capped satellite internet, or AT&T's & Verizon Wireless' version of wireless home internet(also heavily capped) are your options for internet access(or those ridiculous fly by night companies who tether their services to Sprint Wireless, until Sprint catches them & cuts them off).

an internal deca or CCK-W will not work for RVU, its gotta be a broadband deca connected. if your internet is data capped your SOL until live 4k starts and you have a C61K.

4k vod comes off the satellite. The Internet is needed to make the rvu apps baked into samsung and lg tvs to function.

Looks like if you live in the country where the only internet options are slow dial-up, satellite internet, or the jokes that Verizon & AT&T call wireless internet, then it's either a C41W, C51, or C61k to hook up that tv(if it's 4k)/second tv to your Genie.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts