Do I own it or does D* own it?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

agouram5

Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Having paid for a Choice package at D* since 1996, and have had an RCA DVR-40 since 2003 which hasn't worked since Monday... all I get is the logo and the message Just a Few Minutes More... across the bottom of the screen. The phone guy tries his troubleshoot which is basically unplug and reset (which I had already done twice) and now says it needs a service call. AND since he says I OWN THE UNIT NOW, I have to pay for the service call?

After some discussion, he tells me that they will swap out the DVR if the tech can't get it working but that I will not be billed or have a new contract date??

So, if the unit were all on lease when did I start owning it and therefore get to pay $79 for the service call, and why do I get a free replacement if it can't be fixed?

Any thoughts from the experts? Love the level of expertise from all the Sat guys out there...fun to read until you have nothing on the screen and they can't schedule an LA based tech for 5 days??!!

Having paid for a Choice package at D* since 1996, and have had an RCA DVR-40 since 2003 which hasn't worked since Monday... all I get is the logo and the message Just a Few Minutes More... across the bottom of the screen. The phone guy tries his troubleshoot which is basically unplug and reset (which I had already done twice) and now says it needs a service call. AND since he says I OWN THE UNIT NOW, I have to pay for the service call?

After some discussion, he tells me that they will swap out the DVR if the tech can't get it working but that I will not be billed or have a new contract date??

So, if the unit were all on lease when did I start owning it and therefore get to pay $79 for the service call, and why do I get a free replacement if it can't be fixed?

Any thoughts from the experts? Love the level of expertise from all the Sat guys out there...fun to read until you have nothing on the screen and they can't schedule an LA based tech for 5 days??!!

IF you bought it in 2003 , they did not do any LEASING till '06 I think it was, so if you bought it back then, it's yours.
If you have the Protection plan, then there is no service call fee.
Maybe they will wave the SC when you upgrade ? Could this be why he said that ?

Jimbo

Thanks for the feedback...and I guess that makes more sense! Is it worth upgrading? I was told I have to special order an HD DVR, so if he can't fix the current RCA box, do we know how many HD channels D* will have by year end?

Other than sports, I don't think paying up a lot for HD makes sense since most movies come from Blockbuster and am I right that I won't see HD in movies unless I am renting Bluray discs? Thanks in advance ... a nontech noobie

Blu Ray sales are not flagging b/c there is no difference between even the best broadcast material and blu ray movies. Blu ray is superior in both audio and video. The real dealbreakers are cost of the hardware (cheapest players are $400) and the software that is priced way too high, even for catalog titles.

Blu Ray sales are not flagging b/c there is no difference between even the best broadcast material and blu ray movies. Blu ray is superior in both audio and video. The real dealbreakers are cost of the hardware (cheapest players are $400) and the software that is priced way too high, even for catalog titles.

No, Blu-Ray sales are behind because there isn't ENOUGH difference between in picture quality to justify the high cost. The difference in picture quality has almost nothing to do with the difference between 1080p and 1080i and everything to do with the amount of compression used. 1080i60 actually delivers more pixels than 1080p24.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts