Do not power off your machine.....

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Since I want to move the CPU from the P6T over and they are changing pinouts so frequently, there is limited choice. I went with an ASUS Sabertooth X58. Need to get it home and switched over.

Well, it's up and running. And all 18GB are visible. Both Office 2007 and Windows 7U had me reregister. CPU temps seem to go to 180 every now and then, but then drop back to 105 or so. I have the CPU and MB fans set to turbo (max cooling). Everything seems to be running well. Of course, I really should cut down the number of FF tabs I have open to way under a hundred. :eek:

Only quirk is, I had to log in again to SatGuys and AVS. But since SatGuys has had me do it twice, I assume it's nothing to do with my mobo change.

Only quirk is, I had to log in again to SatGuys and AVS. But since SatGuys has had me do it twice, I assume it's nothing to do with my mobo change.
That's the way the cookie(s) crumble...

sorry.

Glad to see you're back in business!! :up

Best thing is, I now have USB 3 and SATA 3.0. I guess I'll be replacing some HDDs - internal and external.

Best thing is, I now have USB 3 and SATA 3.0. I guess I'll be replacing some HDDs - internal and external.

There's no need to replace your internal drives unless you are wanting more capacity on a traditional drive. They can't max out the SATA2 / 3gbps interface.

The USB drives are potentially worth replacing.

Swyped on my Nook color using Tapatalk Pro

The mobo can't run data at SATA3 speeds? Why would they put those connectors in? Or you mean the SATA3 drives aren't up to speed?

navychop said:
The mobo can't run data at SATA3 speeds? Why would they put those connectors in? Or you mean the SATA3 drives aren't up to speed?

It can run data at SATA3 speeds and SATA3 drives deliver SATA3 speeds. Don't know what he is talking about.

Sent from my iPad 2 using the SatelliteGuys App

It can run data at SATA3 speeds and SATA3 drives deliver SATA3 speeds. Don't know what he is talking about.

Show me a drive that can deliver 600 mb/second bursts. Nothing can. And if it can't burst at that speed, it can't sustain it either.

The fastest15k drives on the market peak at barely past the sata interface limits for the channel (1.5 gbits / second). The fastest SSDs peak out just above sata2 speeds (3 gbits/second).

Having a sata3 interface on the drive doesn't magically increase the throughput of the drive until you've reached the limits of the previous interface speed.

Does this clear it up for you?

I have one of those guys in my new rig. Love it!

That drive will peak in the 135 mb range which isn't close to sata1 / 1.5 gbps, let alone sata3 @ 4x that value.

Added on edit:
Specs say internal data rate = 126 mb/second which is a hair over 1 gbits/sec or about 2/3 of the original sata1 interface limits.

Last edited:
By the way for performance hdds you need to be looking at 2.5" drives. You'll sacrifice ultimate capacity but gain in throughout due to lower access times and latency plus higher areal density.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts