Do you know anyone who has voom?

voombot

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 24, 2004
A friend came over yesterday and noticed i had voom. He also was a subscriber. Here's what he said

HD picture is fantastic, but his mom wants it removed because they get poor reception on local channels and it doesnt have HGTV. The box locks up all the time and info doesnt show the correct channel he's on.

He said he called voom 10 times to get the locals fixed and finally got a new antenna almost 5 weeks later.

all i said was Ouch! and that he should email wilt if not getting through 4 or 5 times.

Do you think voom is purposely not getting the word out beacause they can't handle the volume? I read somewhere that they had order 40k or 50k STBs from motorolla? Maybe they are waiting for a massive advertising campain near the holidays.

VOOMBOT, I am told that was the reason they discontinued the $0 down promotion, they had more orders then they could handle.

Again I have said it before but part of the problem with VOOM is they are dependent on their vendors, if a vendor like Motorola can't get them enough hardware fast enough.

Of course we are just guessing that the problem is Motorola, the problem also may be the availability of qualified installers to do the installs.

Its like a big food chain. :D

IMO I think that many problems and churn problems could have been fixed with qualified approved installers that knew what they were doing. Installed OTA antennas appropriate for the areas etc, without having to go through song and dance it is now. Installs Inc seeming through a call at anyone with a screwdriver and really messed things up. Voom knows they need a few hundred thousand subs to break even, not 30k,

I don't know anybody with Voom. I only know 1 guy with a HDTV and he just watches SD content. My installer told me that there is another guy in my town with Voom, but he is pissed because he can't get his locals and might cancel service. There is only 4 digital locals to get right now, and I get them perfect-I can actually see the transmitters from my roof. I can't understand canceling because of 4 SD locals not coming in.

--Dan

its kinda disheartening to see that USDTV in las vegas area has 10k subscribers in 3 months and it only covers 3 areas and voom's #s are so low. Voom will make money on # of subscribers and not on hardware, so they should push motorolla or whomever to get more units available.

my experience with voom has been awesome and i love watching those old movies in HD. Any movie fan would agree, HD is the only way to watch movies on your TV.

Scott Greczkowski said:
VOOMBOT, I am told that was the reason they discontinued the $0 down promotion, they had more orders then they could handle.

Again I have said it before but part of the problem with VOOM is they are dependent on their vendors, if a vendor like Motorola can't get them enough hardware fast enough.

Of course we are just guessing that the problem is Motorola, the problem also may be the availability of qualified installers to do the installs.

Its like a big food chain. :D
I think it's just part of their business plan. They didn't expect or even want more than 25 - 30,000 subs at this stage. We are, in fact, beta testers. With the major hardware changes on the horizon (new bird with elliptical dish, DVR, whole house solution, WM9/MPEG-4), they are going to have to replace nearly all the hardware out there. It will be cheaper to do that for 30,000 subs than for 100,000. Also, they are just beginning to figure out how to run one of these DBS operations and keep their customers satisfied. In a few more months they may be ready with all new hardware and a trained staff for a major advertising campaign.

I know 2 people in Lubbock with Voom, and those 2 are ones that I was able to convince to get it. The major selling factor for me has been mentioning that they have the playboy channel. The age group is 20-23, maybe theres something they work with that angle.

One and I met him here at the forum. I tell everyone about it, but I hardly know anyone with HD and of those who do have it, the little they get from Dish or D* is ok with them.

ArnieMc said:
I think it's just part of their business plan. They didn't expect or even want more than 25 - 30,000 subs at this stage. .

Incorrect. According to Voom's offering memorandum, they expected to have 200,000 subscribers by Dec 31, 2004.

Sorry but if Voom were expecting only 30k subs, they're even bigger morons than I fear A large venture like voom cannot expect to stay afloat with 30k subs paying, what, $80/month on avg?

Yes it's very disheartening that USDTV, which is only in a couple of test markets, have 10k subs even though they've been around 6 months or so. They have only a handful of cable channels, plus local OTA if you can get it. At this rate, they'll surpass voom's number soon enough. Yeah their subs only pay like $20/month, but they don't have anywhere near voom's cost structure.

I know of 3 people in Wichita, Ks. Me, my neighbor and a friend on the other side of city. I have had great luck with voom in spite of the growing pains!

I know of none in Alabama.
Why can't they use the STB they picked up from us that cancelled.......they should be stockpiled. Therefore, no shortage

rkr0923 said:
I know of none in Alabama.
You forgot to complete that sentence. You should have correctly stated, "I know of no one in Alabama who can read." Having spent a fair amount of time at Auburn University and in LA (Lower Alabama), I can assure you this is directly related to the company you are keeping.

Since you are such an unhappy [former] VOOM customer, why is it that you continue to return to this Forum when you have nothing of any substance to contribute? (P.S. Don't answer that...it was a rhetorical question!).

Is it possible to excommunicate rkr from the VOOM Forum?

Yikes!!!

lol, I see plenty of you guys over in the Direct forum
besides, all I done was answer the man's question and then ask one.
I know of no "smart" ones......just a few "smart asses"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)