Do you need an expensive meter to complete a FTA install?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Alan123

Original poster
Jul 11, 2005
I'm a Michigan satellite installer and have been given my first FTA job. I'm under the impression that I should run out and fork out the $400-$500 for the Birdog meter. Do I have to buy an expensive meter to do a FTA install? I have to properly tune it to the AMC 4 satellite. I'd rather not have to buy an expensive meter but I want the job to go thru so I'll do whatever it takes.
Please e-mail me some advice!

Hello and WELCOME to the SatelliteGuys.US FTA forum :wave

A small TV and a LONG run of RG6 coax will get you started thats the way I did it for a few years!

Depending on the receiver it works just as good as a positive ID satellite meter like the Birdog or SatHawk.

Stand by for a review of the Birdog by CASCADE coming soon!

A meter? I've never used a meter. Ever. The fanciest thing I've ever used is a compass to tell me what direction I'm pointed.

There is a meter that has two meters in it, for Dish network, and I think it under $200. Or you can start of with the SF-95 for like under $20 on E-bay.

There is a learning curve so mess around with your dishs first.

Alan123 said:
I'm a Michigan satellite installer and have been given my first FTA job. I'm under the impression that I should run out and fork out the $400-$500 for the Birdog meter. Do I have to buy an expensive meter to do a FTA install? I have to properly tune it to the AMC 4 satellite. I'd rather not have to buy an expensive meter but I want the job to go thru so I'll do whatever it takes.
Please e-mail me some advice!

Alan123 said:
I'm a Michigan satellite installer and have been given my first FTA job. I'm under the impression that I should run out and fork out the $400-$500 for the Birdog meter. Do I have to buy an expensive meter to do a FTA install?

Unless you're offering me an insane price for my Birdog the answer is no.
If you're willing to pay me in cash then by all means, go for a Birdog meter, you won't regret it and all the hot chicks will love you.

The truth is, I have no need for this meter.
Until a few weeks ago I got by with an el-cheapo SF95 and while it's not the most sensitive of meters it gets the job done for next to nothing.
Most of us (Excluding pro installers) use the cheaper meters and the amount of times we've gone out to the dish to make adjustments to squeeze that extra 1% of signal out of the dish makes it worth its weight in gold.
On the up-side I no longer have to run into the house to see if my static dish is hitting G10R or Echostar121, the meter tells me what sat I'm on.

It all depends on how many installs you're planning to do, judging by the worm grass on my back lawn I've done 90+ installs on my dishes this year alone.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)