Do you own or Rent a DirecTV Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tghusky

Original poster
Jan 27, 2010
New York, NY
Hi,

I have just moved to the US from the UK and I was wondering if you own the satellite receiver from DirecTV or rent it. In the UK I had Sky in which I owned the box.

Thanks,

Toby

Most people LEASE the receiver but you can buy one if you want to pay the much higher price for ownership. Forget everything you know about SKY Directv is a completely different company.

Except in rare cases all the new receivers are leased and after the 1st receiver you pay $5/month lease charge. You can get the basic SD receiver for free but if you want advanced receivers you need to pay a one time charge for the more advanced box. A SD DVR or HD receiver usually are $99 and a HD DVR is $199, that's not a purchase price, it's an upgrade charge for a leased receiver.

i own a HR20 and lease a HR21. not worth owning it. lease and forget about it :D

How long do you have to lease it before you can get it upgraded? I've had my HR20 since April 2007 :eek:

Upgrade to what? The current 'newer' DVR's usually are slower then the HR20's, don't have ATSC tuners in them but do have 500GB harddrives vs. the 300GB or 320GB drives in the HR20 and HR21's.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)