• Heat (85F and above)

Votes: 27 67.5%
  • Cold (20F and below)

Votes: 13 32.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I picked HOT weather is my preferred choice , then I started reading all the posts and saw Mosquitoes come up a few times , gotta say that mosquitoes kept me away from doing FTA adjustments in late summer.

Though it wasn't a choice .... Spring and Fall are best , but I'll take Heat over Cold any day.

This is a difficult one for me... I HATE heat, and being from New Orleans it can get quite hot... and HUMID. However, we rarely get down to 20F (at least not in the last few years or so...) I generally prefer cooler weather to work in, since you don't become drenched in sweat, heatstroke is not a possibility, and you're not a target for disease-carrying mosquitoes. As Iceberg said, you can always bundle up for cold.

If we get down below freezing soon, I'll give it a try and make a decision on the poll :)

COLD. It's nice to get a signal, then run inside where it is warm and enjoy a hot chocolate drink.

When we first put up our big C-Band dish back in 1987, it was in the winter. It took a couple of days for the pole to set, but I very clearly remember being out in the front yard, under a tarp in the cold winter getting the signals to come in on that little 13" black and white tv.

Here's another possible poll question. "Do you prefer to tweak dishs during the daylight or when it is dark?" I always find it to be neat tweaking the dishes in the dark, because it is so easy to see the tv screen when there is no sun to cause glare.

I answered cold..........mostly 'cause I live in Canada and starting in late Oct. it's all we got 'till March/April. I don't like it but I do find it preferrable to sweat dripping off my forehead and getting scorched if I touch the wrong thing.
Like it's already been said, you can always put more clothes on, you can only take so many off before the neighbors are showing way too much interest in what you're doing!

All that aside, if I have the time and "the bug" to find another satellite or do some tweaking, run some wire etc. I'll pretty much do that in any weather...........although the colder it is, the harder it is to put an end on RG-6..........although many moons ago when I was an installer for Star Choice and ExpressVu I came up with some interesting solutions to stiff cable. Seems that the colder it gets, the more people want a dish installed.......bastards!

Here's another possible poll question. "Do you prefer to tweak dishs during the daylight or when it is dark?" I always find it to be neat tweaking the dishes in the dark, because it is so easy to see the tv screen when there is no sun to cause glare.

dark...that one is easy...easier to see the TV on the deck if you are on the roof :)

I like the heat better. When its cold skin tends to stick to the cable ends and tools. then when it gets too cold the fog of my breath wont let me see anything. Then if ur dish is on the roof (mine ain't thank god) you have a chance of sliiping on ice and landing on ur big fat a**

Shouldn't you be in school?

I like the heat better. When its cold skin tends to stick to the cable ends and tools. then when it gets too cold the fog of my breath wont let me see anything. Then if ur dish is on the roof (mine ain't thank god) you have a chance of sliiping on ice and landing on ur big fat a**

most of us don't work on the dish if there is ice on the roof (and the dish is there). Thats just common sense.....of course when I had a LNB go out I took a bucket of hot water and melted the ice, then climbed up :)

then when it gets too cold the fog of my breath wont let me see anything.
quit breathing so hard then ;)

I have worked in all temps (below 0 up to 100). I do like the it when it is cool or cold, as I like to build a fire in my fire pit while I am out messing around :)

I prefer the heat, even though I grew up in the the north but live in the south now. I'd rather wipe away the sweat over frozen hands trying to put nuts on bolts, etc...

I prefer heat. I can wipe the sweat off my head and keep on working, but I cannot hold onto small parts (bolts, nuts, etc) with frozen fingers or thick gloves. Maybe my answer would be different if it wasn't so doggone cold and windy this week ;)

Edit: oops, I didn't look above me - looks like concord and I are in the same boat

I prefer the heat, if it gets any colder than 60 for a few days I am moving everything further south.

Last edited:
I will vote for warm
Dropping anything in the snow sucks :)
Ladder is very slick with my winter boots on I try to put everything on the ground now.
The cable that is messed up is always the only one that is frozen to something.
The wind is always blowing when something is needs adjusted and 10 degrees and 20 MPH wind starts to cutting into you like a knife.
The problem with warm is tools can get very hot and the bugs can drive you crazy.
OK I feel better now.

I prefered warm weather, and I don't like cold weather because I am a tropical person!!!:D

Here in New Mexico, it's not bad at it all despite some nasty cold weathers in it's can get down to low 20's to low as 0*F on the other hand sometime it can go up high as 60's in december here in Albuquerque. "Mile high just like Denver"

I rather hire a satellite guy, to fix my dish since I am disabled with a CP so it's pretty much a moot point anyways.

I prefer....

I prefer the Springtime....is that permissible?

I live in the So Cal high desert and it gets 'HOT' here, sometimes to 120* and like others have said, it's easier to hold small nuts/hardware with sweaty fingers than frozen. My roof must get up to 200*+ and I have to lay down a blanket or cardboard for insulation and lay all of my tools in a shady spot, have you ever picked up a wrench that was in the sun? OUCH!!!

I have to place a cardboard visor over the monitor so I can see the screen in the sun, it gets pretty bright up there in the daytime summer so I try to get the job done ASAP

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts