Do you remember when Directv first came out?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
I remember when Directv first came out. I debated on buying it, bought it in the fall about 95 or so. Spent a little over $500 with tax on a basic 1 room receiver and dish. I did the install myself. Boy that was cool! Not being able to install the system yourself takes all the fun out of it :)

I still install my own systems.

When the installer comes by, they love it, check it is working, and I slip them $10-$20

If I have a problem, I bounce it off of them

:) i still have the very first dish and receiver! only 10 years ago but seems like a lifetime. boy time flys as you get older. now i know what it means to take the time to smell the roses. take the time to experience and enjoy life!!!

It would be neat to see what their literature...brochures and stuff looked like when they first started.

I remember the first time I hooked everything up with my buddy drinking some brew's! We had so much fun lining up the dish and getting the signal meter. Then the picture at that time was so superior to cable it just blew my wife and me away. What's funny I got D* because my buddy had Dish at the time and loved his picture and all the channels so I went to BB buy the system. At the time I thought what I was buying was Dish not D*. I didn't even know there were two Sat companies! The neighbors were just blown away. That was in 99 and we were living in an apartment at the time.

I had Primestar first. It was awesome. No hardware to buy (cant remember the initial install price). The installer gave me the national networks no questions asked. The quality was Earth shattering. I switched a few years later to D* when I had to have Sunday Ticket. Ahhhhh. The good ole days. Boy I thought satellite TV was just the best. Memories.

That's the other thing. It was cheaper with better PQ and more channels. Also I got the NFL package free that year just for becoming a D* owner. Those were the days!

I remember you got USSB (the movie channels) free for like 6 months, and Directv programming free for several months too. You had 2 companies to buy your programming from :)

I first had the UK part of Directv (sky) back in 1988 put my own dish on the wall. It was absolutely fabulous to go from 4 channels to many dozens. Everything was free then with nothing to pay.

I first saw it in 93 ant the Indianapolis home show down the street from the RCA HQ the engenieers ( yes two were on sceen) tring to keep the sat pointed to keep the picture on. This had to be a beta or maybe an alpha test system.

got mine early on...not sure exactly when (early 90's) but I called all over Atlanta until I found one only cost me $1199.00, I did install it myself because I did not want to pay the $200.00 to have it installed. It was far superior to cable...I think I got D* in the beginning because the cable company was making me pay $2.00 a month for the scifi channel (they still ran Dr Who withTom Baker back then).

I remember thinking those things won't be around long. Why get one of those small ones that don't get any free channels. Boy was I wrong.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)