Do you use the 30 second skip?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kbohip

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
Colorado Springs
When I first got my Directivo a couple of months ago I was adamant about getting the hidden 30 second skip feature to work. I was used to this on my old Dish Dvr and really liked it. Now I find myself using the FF key more and more. I almost never use the 30 sec. skip anymore. Maybe I just like to see those commercials whizzing by :p. I think it has more to do with the fact though that when I use the 30 sec. skip I always go farther than I want to and the 8 sec. back key takes to long to get back. Anyway, what do you guys use?

Well I don't use the TiVo brand DVR, but the ReplayTV DVR has auto commercial skip (electronically time coded) and it hits the start/end point perfectly and I use it 100% of the time.

What?!? Y'all don't use the skip feature?

I use the 30-second skip ALL THE TIME! Combining the 30-forward and 8-back gets me through commercial breaks so easily that I probably watch only 5% or fewer commercials than I used to watch.

Using the fast-forward just isn't as convenient or efficient.

In fact, I've gotten so addicted to it that it annoys me not to have the feature for DVD watching (although actually I miss the 8-second rewind more than the 30-second skip for that).

--Dino

Don't use the 30 second skip. I hate it. I hit less buttons using fast foward with the autocorrect then with 30 second skip.

charper1 said:
Well I don't use the TiVo brand DVR, but the ReplayTV DVR has auto commercial skip (electronically time coded) and it hits the start/end point perfectly and I use it 100% of the time.

does replayTv record HD?

asousa said:
does replayTv record HD?

Who cares, you cant burn your saved HD shows to an HD-DVD burner that doesn't exist. I have just as much, if not more overall functionality and I can off load all my programs direct to my PC for editing & DVD burning in the same exact RAW MPEG format as the DVR itself. All from DVRs that cost me $49 each. I can wait to see a REAL full function DVR maybe in the new DirecTV HMC; maybe it will have full ethernet functionality and maybe we will be able to burn HD-DVD programs by then; and ultimately I didn't get burnt with a "must have" $700 - $1100 HD-DVR that doesn't do anything but record and eat up hard drive space. I can catch all the HD programming I want when its actually on.

My wife and I just love being able to hit FF 2 or 3 times when commercials come on, then hitting play to automatically jump back to the end of commercials. I think that's better than hitting 30 second skip over and over for each commercial, but since I've never used it, I can't say for sure. I sure hope the new Directv DVR has a similar feature. It's probably the single best feature of Tivo, in my opinion.

^^^Select-Play-Select-3-0-Select while watching a pre-recorded program for anyone else who is wondering. You have to do this everytime you reboot as well.

30-second skip works extremely well with football. If you live on the east coast and can't stay up to watch the end of Monday Night Football, I've found this feature invaluable. The time between plays is roughly 30 seconds. So, for the most part, you can watch a play, push 30-second skip, and then see the next play. This works really well when you are short on time and want to speed things up to the 4th quarter. :)

30-second skip also works with college football. But, given the 25 second clock between downs, you have to be quick on the draw to make it work.

Also, I like the skip button because, when you are fast forwarding, you can use it to skip ahead to the next 15 minute tick mark (as opposed to going directly to the end of the program).

I use the FF to skip over commercials. I am almost to the point where I can't watch live tv anymore because I can;t skip the commercials! Watched 2 episodes of Rescue Me yesterday in less than an hour and a half!!!!! love tivo and love skipping commercials.

Tried the 30 second skip for awhile,,didn't like it.Never seemed to get it right. Turned it off,now back on FF. Also with 30 second skip on,you give up the skip to end( or is it skip back to beginning??I forget) which I though more usefull than the 30 second skip.

asousa said:
how do i use the 30 second skip on my HR10-250?

forget it, I went over to tivocommunity.com to get the answer....man i was reading some posts over there and they are freakin brutal to people who ask questions....

asousa said:
forget it, I went over to tivocommunity.com to get the answer....man i was reading some posts over there and they are freakin brutal to people who ask questions....

dude how do you like the 10-250? I love mine, but can't seem to get the 30 sec skip to work. Care to share? Thx in advance

Check the How-To over at the Yahoo group. However, it is the same as for "normal" D* Tivos: Select->Play->Select->3->0->Select

There is a way to permanently enable it, but you have to go elsewhere to find out how.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts