DoD incredibly slow?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Enragedalbinoyak

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
I just got DoD working, and it takes about twice as long to download a show than it takes to watch it. Also, I'm having to babysit it to make sure it downloads all the stuff in the queue. Would either of these things be fixed by downloading the latest CE tomorrow, or getting a faster connection to the web (I have 1.5mb DSL, and I've been considering cable, but ...)?

Or is this just a beta issue?

It's not DOD that is slow but your internet speed. I have 5Mb connection and I can start watching SD programs immediately after download starts without any interruption. If I'm not mistake, Directv SD picture is transmitted at 1-3 Mbps so your internet speed is not enough to keep up.

Last edited:
The real problem I'm having is that the thing downloads to 100% and never fully completes. I have to watch the thing and then delete it before the next thing on the queue starts to download. It's really pissing me off.

I just got DoD working, and it takes about twice as long to download a show than it takes to watch it. Also, I'm having to babysit it to make sure it downloads all the stuff in the queue. Would either of these things be fixed by downloading the latest CE tomorrow, or getting a faster connection to the web (I have 1.5mb DSL, and I've been considering cable, but ...)?

Or is this just a beta issue?

I have a 12mbps connection and have none of the problems you are referring to. Are you aware that you can watch the problem as it downloads? Also be aware that if you are on a network that 1.5mbps is shared by everyone. So lets say you are downloading some VOD and someone else uses the internet, it will affect your download. Having more than 1.5 always helps. If FIOS is available in your area give that a try, if not cable is a good choice though I would look into it since a lot of companies do "traffic Shaping" which can affect your speeds as well. As for your other problem, have you attempted to reset your unit? This usually fixes most problems. To this date I have had no issue with VOD. It downloads fine and I can watch as it downloads. I have yet to try HD on since the HD is pay stuff.

You will not get a very good download with DSL. Your DSL is 1.5mg MAX, you will be lucky to get 1mg for an extended peroid. You need broadband with at least 3mg or better to get a reasonable download speed.

You will not get a very good download with DSL. Your DSL is 1.5mg MAX, you will be lucky to get 1mg for an extended peroid. You need broadband with at least 3mg or better to get a reasonable download speed.

I have 5mbps dsl and it performs exceptionally well, often very near the 5mbps rating for sustained periods. Your post could be seen as criticizing dsl as opposed to criticizing 1.5mbps dsl specifically for this purpose.

On a cable connection that gets 6Mbps down I can select a SD DoD program and within 30 seconds select it to watch and never hit the end of the buffer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)