Does anybody ever ask what your dish(s) are for?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Eastcoast said:
Ok just had a look at your site nice work, its good to see people support the efforts of the protection we all take for granted.
I'll keep a look out for any interesting pics from my neck of the woods.

Dave

Thanks, that would be great! I am not done with my site yet. Been busy. Actually the FTA bug interrupted the web site :) To keep on topic, I have been looking around to see who has dishes and what they are for. I think half the people buy the property with the dish in place and have no clue :)

Around here there doesn't seem to be any KU FTA dishes except fot the odd BUD mostly all BEV and Starchoice.Since I got the FTA bug i'm always looking too.
By the way Larry I have noticed most times you start a thread it ends up to be quite interesting with many posts. Good Thing!!

Dave

I have a habit of rambling :) I have only seen 1 or 2 FTA dishes in my area. TONS of Dish and Directv. I still see a few C-Band. I am still waiting for someone to ask what mine is for :) I feel for the poor soul, I will probably ramble on and give them more information than they care to handle :)

I have a habit of rambling......I am still waiting for someone to ask what mine is for :) I feel for the poor soul, I will probably ramble on and give them more information than they care to handle :)

Spoken like a true ham. Haven't met one yet (besides myself, of course) that can't chew your ear off for an hour about what my wife calls "geek stuff".

Hantu

When I first put up the dish, my neighbors were asking what it was for. My wife is on bad terms with them so I (jokingly) told them it was to pick up the Jihad Channel.

They left me alone.

When I got it up and running, I found that Al Manar is no longer FTA LOL :/

I had a Comcast installer stop by 3 weeks ago to fix something with my internet. He had to go in the back to look at the box. He saw my 1.2 dish with Fortec star writen on it. He asked me oooh I heared of that brand do you use it to get all the channels. I tell him NO, I pay Comcast $80/mo for Cable tv, why would I have to do that. He didn't really realize what I was saying and proceeds to tell me how he has a diferent brand, and uses it for you know what.

I felt so uncomfortable. It first time dawned on me that our cool and legit hobby is put to shame by the possiblity of the alternative use.

I pray for the day sat providers become unhackable and we can enjoy our hobby again.

vj9999 said:
I had a Comcast installer stop by 3 weeks ago to fix something with my internet. He had to go in the back to look at the box. He saw my 1.2 dish with Fortec star writen on it. He asked me oooh I heared of that brand do you use it to get all the channels. I tell him NO, I pay Comcast $80/mo for Cable tv, why would I have to do that. He didn't really realize what I was saying and proceeds to tell me how he has a diferent brand, and uses it for you know what.

I felt so uncomfortable. It first time dawned on me that our cool and legit hobby is put to shame by the possiblity of the alternative use.

I pray for the day sat providers become unhackable and we can enjoy our hobby again.

I got that from a guy who came out to service the AC a few weeks ago. When I pointed to the BUD and told him I pay $35 a month for 80 movie channels his tone changed real fast all of a sudden. Then I mentioned the wild feeds from ballgames and news reports that I get from my various dishes and his jaw just about hit the floor.

iafirebuff said:
Wow, lots of hams! Small world :)

We love our antennas, Doesn't matter if they are Satellite Dishes, or J-Poles.
N8XRV Here. Only a Tech for the last 13 years, but taking the General written test next month.

I always wanted to be a farmer. What is the biggest size c-band dish out there for the consumer? Not a big commercial one, but for the average joe?

10 to 12 feet is consumer type.

With C-Band the bigger the dish the fewer the "sparklies" (analog) and better signal (digital). The cool part with C-Band is signal loss is minimal. We've had torrential downpours and the nets on G4 drop from 90 to 75...lowest I've seen since peaking the dish is 65 :)

Diddo. Maybe in a few years we'll move and get a bigger piece of property somewhere... probably not for a Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time though. We just moved in to where we are in December.

rainmaker
if your location is true, you're right...you are out in the boonies according to a map I saw :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts