Does Dish Anywhere ever work properly?

chikagobnd

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
lynchburg, va
I have such a love/hate relationship with the Sling Adapter on the Hopper...unfortunately, mostly hate. I had a Slingbox Solo for years before coming over to Dish and getting the Sling Adapter with the Hopper. I figured the slim design and HD capability of the Sling Adapter would be worth replacing my standard Slingbox. Boy was I wrong. In the years that I owned the Slingbox, it was the most flawless piece of video streaming equipment I have ever used, both through the PC and the iPhone. It always worked, unless I had a network problem at home. It could not be more different with the Sling Adapter with Dish. How could they take a great piece of equipment and screw it up so bad? When I first joined, dishonline.com was pretty reliable for streaming while the mobile app NEVER worked. Then, after months and months, they fixed the mobile app and got it working well. Now, they switch to dishanywhere.com and all I get are connection errors, blank screens, and plug-in crashes. It literally never works for me. And now, the mobile app is all jacked up too! I can actually connect to my Hopper and stream for 2-5 minutes before being booted out and disconnected. I know I am not the only one having these problems, but I am curious as to how widespread these problems are. Surely, Dish wouldn't roll out a service that is this bad for everyone, would they? So, is this just an issue for those with the Sling Adapter? Is it seen by those with HWS? Is it just an overall fail by Dish/Sling? I'm not trying to bash on Dish as I love my service overall, but I seriously can't understand how this product can be so bad...or at least, how it can go from bad, to good, to bad so often. FWIW, I have a 1H/1J system with a Sling Adapter, Comcast internet service, and a D-link DIR-615 router. Hopper is connected directly to router via ethernet cable.

It's working better than when I had my VIP922. I had problems with that, but my current Hopper with Sling is working great.

I installed my old Slingbox Pro HD back on. Now I can access OTA channels, the EHD, got the virtual remote control, and can access the Adult channels. Can't do any of that with built in sling. Really sad.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it has more to do with the software behind dishanywhere.com, NOT the Hopper. I believe this because the "old" website, https://dish.sling.com/, often works when dishanywhere.com is down. This leads me to believe it's less of a hardware issue and more of a software/programming issue.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it has more to do with the software behind dishanywhere.com, NOT the Hopper. I believe this because the "old" website, https://dish.sling.com/, often works when dishanywhere.com is down. This leads me to believe it's less of a hardware issue and more of a software/programming issue.

Yeah, that seems possible as I had little problem with dishonline.com. But I wonder if that would be causing the new mobile issues too?

I have the original Hopper with the Sling adapter, and it works great for me for online viewing through the Dishonline website as well as on my cell phone (Droid Bionic). I also had a 922 that gave me fits, but since upgrading to the Hopper it's been fantastic.

I have such a love/hate relationship with the Sling Adapter on the Hopper...unfortunately, mostly hate. I had a Slingbox Solo for years before coming over to Dish and getting the Sling Adapter with the Hopper. I figured the slim design and HD capability of the Sling Adapter would be worth replacing my standard Slingbox. Boy was I wrong. In the years that I owned the Slingbox, it was the most flawless piece of video streaming equipment I have ever used, both through the PC and the iPhone. It always worked, unless I had a network problem at home. It could not be more different with the Sling Adapter with Dish. How could they take a great piece of equipment and screw it up so bad? When I first joined, dishonline.com was pretty reliable for streaming while the mobile app NEVER worked. Then, after months and months, they fixed the mobile app and got it working well. Now, they switch to dishanywhere.com and all I get are connection errors, blank screens, and plug-in crashes. It literally never works for me. And now, the mobile app is all jacked up too! I can actually connect to my Hopper and stream for 2-5 minutes before being booted out and disconnected. I know I am not the only one having these problems, but I am curious as to how widespread these problems are. Surely, Dish wouldn't roll out a service that is this bad for everyone, would they? So, is this just an issue for those with the Sling Adapter? Is it seen by those with HWS? Is it just an overall fail by Dish/Sling? I'm not trying to bash on Dish as I love my service overall, but I seriously can't understand how this product can be so bad...or at least, how it can go from bad, to good, to bad so often. FWIW, I have a 1H/1J system with a Sling Adapter, Comcast internet service, and a D-link DIR-615 router. Hopper is connected directly to router via ethernet cable.

I would like to look into this for you. Can you please send me a PM with your account information? Can you please include your Hopper's software version, any error messages, browser you are using and what mobile devices you are using.

When the Hopper first came out, I had Sprint/HTC phone. At times, the dishanywhere - or what ever it was called back then - was very sparodic and more often than not, wouldn't connect reliably. Now, I have T-Mobile, a Samsung Galaxy Note 2, the sling adapter and it just works. I watch some kind of video/TV almost every day, when working out or waiting at the Doc's office or traveling with the wife, (she drives!!) There are a lot oif things involved to cause problems, But I don't have any.

I'm pretty much surprised with the latest update they made to the mobile app. It works great on my android phone. It used to take a long time to load anything. Now I am watching content within ~ 15s of launching the app

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)