Does EHD attached to a Wally require its own power?

BarnRat

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 30, 2021
SW USA
Does an external hard drive that is attached to a Wally require its own power? I found this blurb out on the net:

Requirements:
For an External Hard Drive to be compatible with a DISH HD receiver, it must meet the following requirements:

• Have its own power supply
  • Be between 50GB and 2TB in size
  • Have a single disk drive (flash memory is not compatible)
Your DISH receiver must be one of the receiver models listed below. If you are not sure what receiver model you have, check the name on the front of your receiver or go to mydish.com/myequipment.

• Hopper 3
  • Hopper w/ Sling
  • Hopper
  • Wally
  • 211z

But I can't find this stated on the Dish website ???? Every EHD I've owned over the past 10+ years gets its power thru the USB connection.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221212_141829_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221212_141829_Chrome.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 75
Does an external hard drive that is attached to a Wally require its own power? I found this blurb out on the net:

But I can't find this stated on the Dish website ???? Every EHD I've owned over the past 10+ years gets its power thru the USB connection.
I have been using the WD My Book External Powered Hard Drive for my Wally and it has worked well for me for the past few years. It also works for my 211K but I lost all the recordings when it re formatted. I didn't have anything too important so I didn't mind.

Reactions: BarnRat