Does extending a coaxial cable degrade signal?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Test12345

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 11, 2007
I'm going to replace my LNB and have an amount of coax that I think is enough, but if its not enough and the installer/me needs to add more onto it would that be very bad? It's rg6 shielded cable and I have 100' but i might need another 15-20' added onto it. Thanks for any advice!

Not if you use a good quality barrel connector.
Will the 100' make it to your house service entrance?
Why not put a qualtiy ground block at the point and then go the rest of the way to your equipment.
Would be better than just an F-81 hanging in mid air. :)

Reactions: fred555
I never heard this before..How I can assure the "quality" of the barrel connector..?? By brand?, price?, Origin of manufacture? or appearance?
Was referring to using a 3GHz F81. PPC is a good brand.
Always best to run a solid run of coax, but when those times arise, get a descent one and not a cheap one.
Having said that I have used cheaper ones with no noticeable loss of signal(even though it is there)...but it is just something else to corrode and go wrong with the system.

Reactions: Vallenato
If the splice happens to be outdoors, then I'd use one of these. You put it all together then heat it up and there's some wax like stuff inside that melts around the connection, sealing out moisture.

EDIT: Well, I tried to post a link to that kit on Amazon but this horking software won't let me??:mad:

So here's the name of that kit and you can search for it yourself.

Tyco #CPGI-569224-1K RG6 F Cable Splice Kit

Last edited:
Reactions: KE4EST and Titanium
I'm going to replace my LNB and have an amount of coax that I think is enough, but if its not enough and the installer/me needs to add more onto it would that be very bad? It's rg6 shielded cable and I have 100' but i might need another 15-20' added onto it. Thanks for any advice!
The Maximum cable Length between Receiver and LNB NOT more than 25 Meters ( 82 feet ) This is the maximum cable length you can get . More than that, week signals will be degraded .

Any length attenuates signal. Adding 25' to your existing run will be fine with the quality barrel connection and protection from moisture.

It comes down to the quality and type of cable and connectors. If your coax is a good quality RG6 or the better grade RG11, distances of several hundred feet are possible without noticeable loss. I have installed fixed dishes with 300' of quad shield RG6 with little loss. Some fixed dish installs have used 500' of RG11 coax with good results. On the other hand, 100' of cheap RG59 cable can wipe out all but the strongest satellite signals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any length attenuates signal. Adding 25' to your existing run will be fine with the quality barrel connection and protection from moisture.

It comes down to the quality and type of cable and connectors. If your coax is a good quality RG6 or the better grade RG11, distances of several hundred feet are possible without noticeable loss. I have installed fixed dishes with 300' of quad shield RG6 with little loss. Some fixed dish installs have used 500' of RG11 coax with good results. On the other hand, 100' of cheap RG59 cable can wipe out all but the strongest satellite signals.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To- Titanium what say it is correct But when comes to receiving very week signals you need to shorten the down lead cable as possible as you can because I tested with very good coaxial cable Belden type as far you are near the dish the signal level and signal quality 80% with Shor cable 2 meters and when you go down the building with a cable more than 25 meter ( 82 feet ) the signal drop to 55% .

Never have noted anything this dramatic when using quality coax cable and standard high gain output LNBFs. While I will agree that coax cables are best kept as short as possible, your reported losses seem extremely excessive.

Curious if the readings are being displayed with an uncalibrated STB or if it was measured with a calibrated meter. STBs have no calibrated reference and the actual loss may be significantly different than the 25% reduction in Signal Quality.

Typically, the Signal Quality is only a generalized expression of the Bit Error Rate after the FEC is applied. The method of determining the percentage is different for each developer, model and adjustable in the firmware.

I am sure that you would note that the loss is quite acceptable if measured as a signal to noise ratio with a calibrated meter.

Reactions: KE4EST
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)