Does Joey 2.0 HDMI Support Dolby Digital?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

EAGLES

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Seems as though the HDMI on Joey 2.0 does not support Dolby Digital.
When I run it through my Yamaha AV Receiver, all channles are decoded and output as PCM.
Numerous calls to Dish CS people all said DD is supported via HDMI.
I know it is not supported on my Joeys.
Can someone please give me difinitive answer on this?
I do know that the optical output does support DD, but for me to use that and continue to view HD would require a work around which I really don't feel like dealing with at this point.
If HDMI on Joey 2.0 does not support DD, how about the Hopper 3 HDMI?
Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Seems as though the HDMI on Joey 2.0 does not support Dolby Digital.
When I run it through my Yamaha AV Receiver, all channles are decoded and output as PCM.
Numerous calls to Dish CS people all said DD is supported via HDMI.
I know it is not supported on my Joeys.
Can someone please give me difinitive answer on this?
I do know that the optical output does support DD, but for me to use that and continue to view HD would require a work around which I really don't feel like dealing with at this point.
If HDMI on Joey 2.0 does not support DD, how about the Hopper 3 HDMI?
Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Hello, EAGLES. The Joey receivers do support Dolby Digital and should be able to provide it through an HDMI connection. Is the "Dolby Digital Pass-through" setting turned on through the Joey's menu?

Hello, EAGLES. The Joey receivers do support Dolby Digital and should be able to provide it through an HDMI connection. Is the "Dolby Digital Pass-through" setting turned on through the Joey's menu?
Dish Support,
Thanks for the feedback.

Dish Support,
Thanks for the feedback.
If the HDMI Pass through setting you are referring to is the setting in the attached photo, then yes.
I tried swapping out HDMI Cables, swapping inputs on my AV Receiver, rebooting hopper and Joey. Swapping this Joey for another. Checking all settings on my AV Receiver. It is set to “Auto- Decode”.
Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Attachments

• 9C173178-C0A4-406D-A872-E82E6AA13C18.jpeg
    9C173178-C0A4-406D-A872-E82E6AA13C18.jpeg
    168.6 KB · Views: 180
Dish Support,
Thanks for the feedback.
If the HDMI Pass through setting you are referring to is the setting in the attached photo, then yes.
I tried swapping out HDMI Cables, swapping inputs on my AV Receiver, rebooting hopper and Joey. Swapping this Joey for another. Checking all settings on my AV Receiver. It is set to “Auto- Decode”.
Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
That is the setting, yes. We do want to keep that "on". Thank you for taking a look into that. Have you tried to change the Volume Leveling to "off"?

That is the setting, yes. We do want to keep that "on". Thank you for taking a look into that. Have you tried to change the Volume Leveling to "off"?
Yes, tried that before and received no joy. I just went in again and switched it to off and then rebooted Joey. Magically, I have joy. Hopefully I’m good now.
seems as though the VL off + reboot did the trick. Go figure. Thanks.

Reactions: TheKrell
Yes, tried that before and received no joy. I just went in again and switched it to off and then rebooted Joey. Magically, I have joy. Hopefully I’m good now.
seems as though the VL off + reboot did the trick. Go figure. Thanks.
You're most welcome! We are glad to hear that those steps worked for you! We will definitely share this with our Tech Ops team to review for troubleshooting.

Reactions: TheKrell
You're most welcome! We are glad to hear that those steps worked for you! We will definitely share this with our Tech Ops team to review for troubleshooting.
Unfortunately back to square one. I’m at a loss. Seems that when I switch channels or go to Netflix the DD is lost. Same when I turn everything thing off and back on. Very frustrated. Any additional help or advise would be very appreciated. Thanks again.

I can confirm this for the actual hopper as well, but it's actually not a big deal. I have a hopper 3 that when using the netflix app, is outputting pcm 5.1 via Hdmi directly to my AV receiver. For some reason, instead of passing through the dolby digital plus (DD+) 5.1 signal from netflix and letting my receiver decode the DD+ 5.1 signal, either the netflix app or the hopper 3 is decoding the DD+ signal to output as PCM 5.1, which causes "Dolby Digital" to not be displayed on the receiver unfortunately.

Nothing wrong with this as eventually everything gets converted to pcm and then out to the speakers (since dolby digital is essentially a compression format) and you still have 5.1 surround. BUT being nitpicky, I'd rather have the netflix app just Bitstream/passthrough the DD+ to my AV receiver so it says dolby digital on the front of it, rather than "MULTI IN" (some people's receivers will say "PCM" instead of multi in, depending on brand). The only downside to this is that if this issue exists on everyone's hopper, if you want to use netflix with HDMI ARC, we all know ARC can only transmit 5.1 compressed as Dolby Digital/bitstreamed, but cannot transmit PCM 5.1 and instead is converted to stereo.

IIRC, unfortunately, the Netflix app on the Hopper was provided by Netflix itself and not developed by Dish, so that is where the situation lies. There have always been issues with the version of Netflix on Dish receivers and most just recommend you use some other hardware than the Dish receivers to access Netflix.

I’m just happy that Netflix now sends out 5.1 on the Hopper. For years it was just stereo.
This is great if you have the hopper connected directly to an AV receiver or sound bar, but if you have the hopper connected to your tv and the tv outputs the sound (whether over optical or HDMI ARC) to a sound bar or receiver, it is only going to be 2 channel audio since ARC and optical cannot pass the 5 channel uncompressed (PCM) that the netflix app or hopper is sending out. Changing the hopper audio settings to dolby digital does not affect the netflix app; it is still outputting 5.1 PCM, at least for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)