Does OTA antenna work seamlessly?

RWB

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
With a 722 receiver and an OTA antenna, do you have to select between dish and OTA or does the receiver automatically select the OTA antenna when a local channel is selected.

I would like to dump the 5$ monthly local charge but I don't want to have to select a different input to do so. Rather, others in the house wouldn't do well with that.

With a 722 receiver and an OTA antenna, do you have to select between dish and OTA or does the receiver automatically select the OTA antenna when a local channel is selected.

I would like to dump the 5$ monthly local charge but I don't want to have to select a different input to do so. Rather, others in the house wouldn't do well with that.

It's integrated into the guide seamlessly. Do remeber that there is no analog tuner on the 622/722 and if you drop your Locals package, you will lose your guide data and have to set any timers manually.

S~

It even seamlessly integrates OTA stations that are not from your assigned DMA if you are lucky enough to live on the border and can receive signals from a neighboring DMA.

John

It's integrated into the guide seamlessly. Do remeber that there is no analog tuner on the 622/722 and if you drop your Locals package, you will lose your guide data and have to set any timers manually.

S~

True, but to be clear to the OP, the channels will display in the EPG, but they will display "Digital Service", instead of the actual programming if you dont subscribe to E* Locals. Seeing "Digital Service" and having to set manual timers may sound like no big deal, but it actually sucks compared to being able to see the program listings in the guide.

The cool thing (and highly useful thing) is that if you do subscribe to E* Locals, you (at least I do) get guide data for channels (and subchannels) that E* doesnt even provide in their Local package. (for me, I get a listing for PBS HD, even though E doesnt provide PBS HD in their local package).

It does work pretty much seamless. However, my FOX channel is 22 and on Digital it's 7.2. The 722 can't figure out they're the same damned animal, so I get 'Digital Service' on 7.2.

I don't know who to e-mail or I would've already. I'm guessing DishQuality isn't the guys.

It'd also be nice if they covered our CW channel, but since it isn't on the uplink (It's a digital only subchannel), they're not likely to, even though they carry the peering CBS station.

IF you send it to the dishquality folks they will send it to the technical department if it is warranted. But I think that the digital channels will be their department. They deal primarily with locals and their quality.

Thanks guys, I understand the caveats now.
Trying to save a buck always adds a caveat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts