Does OTA for Hopper process all OTA Stations or just digital

altr21

Original poster
Apr 4, 2013
Minneapolis
I asked guy who bought the OTA for Joey from Amazon if he gets non-digital broadcasts. He says he get every station in Philladephia including non-digital. But others say not. Dish Tech support says "all local stations"

What is the truth ??

digital only last I checked

per dish site
When the scan is complete, the results show how many digital over-the-air channels were found.

I was hoping it did non-digital because I wanted to run some modulated sources through the Joey rather than having to change sources on the TV.

Thank You,

I asked guy who bought the OTA for Joey from Amazon if he gets non-digital broadcasts. He says he get every station in Philladephia including non-digital.
For what it's worth, there are likely only a very small number of (obscure) analog channels remaining. I think that only "low-power" stations are allowed to continue broadcasting on analog frequencies. MOST people don't even know about these stations.....

Worse, even TiVo, the last decent DVR for OTA (the Bright and Channel Master DVR's fall way too short compared to sat, cable, and TiVo DVR's, and Chanel Master's now come with additional costs if one wants a reliable EPG), is petitioning the FCC to allow it to eliminate analog tuners in ALL of its next models of DVR (likely still Series 4, but still retaining the "Premiere" moniker). Considering that the FCC granted TiVo's previous request to drop analog tuners for the 4 tuner models, I would expect the FCC to grant the exemption because even cable cos. are working to go all digital and are far along that process. This would mean that anyone who wants to DVR low powered OTA analog (I believe HDTV's are still required to support analog) will have even fewer of the very few options today. They would have to consider legacy equipment to DVR those channels. Ironic to allow the low powered analog, but FCC moves to NOT support their reception, by DVR's, at least. The low-powered analog should be allowed some kind of transition to a muxed digital OTA, at least.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)