Does size REALLY matter ???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Unckle_Fun_Knuckles

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 9, 2005
Hey folks,
Gonna make the jump with a setup from Sadoun on Monday and I'm thinking about the 40 inch dish upgrade (instead of the standard 31) but the price diff between the lowly 36" upgrade (only$15) and the 40"( a whooping $85) is so steep, will the extra few inches be worth the extra $$$$??
I know the answer is "bigger is better" but as far as practically speaking?
Will I notice a huge differance in channel quality?
Will I be able to pull in those elusive birds?
Will my bald spot grow back ??
Will hot young chicks will find me desirable again?? :cool:

Any thoughts would be helpfull
Thanks

Yes to all/most of the above : ) The bigger the dish the more signal it will collect. You also want to get an LNBF with the lowest noise value you can afford, I use an Invacom 0.3db for example. Chicks really dig them!

Spend the extra money and get the bigger dish. No, your hair will never grow back!!! However, chicks really dig balding men with an extra 4 inches...expecially those chicks who smoke Camels.
peep13.jpg

If you really want a large e-penis go for a 120cm.
I've never felt more attractive.
If you have to go for a smaller dish you'll be mocked and shunned and feel self-conscious when you post asking questions or while taking a shower.

Size definitely matters, the more gain you can squeeze from your setup the better, as for picture quality, on digital systems it won't make any difference unless you're really suffering from a weak signal in which case the pic will break up along with audio, unlike an analogue system where you'll get sparklies but a watchable picture.

A larger dish not only has more gain but also has a narrower beamwidth. This makes it able to more tightly focus on the satellite your aiming at and not recieve interference from other satellites which may also be transmitting signals on the same polarity and frequency of the one your trying to recieve. So a larger dish is better not just because it will give more signal strength but also because it will give you higher signal quality resulting from less interference from adjacent satellites.

franenstein dish

Ok so size DOES matter...how about this...
The 90cm dish is an extra $85. They have the 180cm C band dish for an extra $135.
Can I get the cband dish and slap a Ku lnb in it and have a SUPER chick magnet?
will this actually work or are the dishes differant?
could I still use a motor??
What would other considerations be??
Thanks

The 180cm dish is probably a good dish for the price but there are a few issues that would not make it the best dish for someone getting started. The first and foremost is it probably doesn't easily mount to the more common H to H motors and even if it could be adapted to mount to one is likely too heavy for the ones that are readily available. So, if you were going to use it youd likely have to use it as a fixed dish or youd have to get somekind of polar mount and use a linear actuator and if you did this youd need something to control the linear actuator as linear actuators and motors for larger dishes need different control signals. So youd then need either, a separate box, an old analog reciever, or something like the Vbox or Vbox II to control the actuator.

Another issue with the 180cm dish is that it's a prime focuse dish and prime focus dishes have lower F/d ratios than offset dishes. This means they need different feedhorns to match their F/D ratio. So youd need to find and purchase a feedhorn and LNB or LNBs to work well with this dish. The traditional LNBFs (LNBF is a feedhorn and LNB made together as one piece) are generally made and optimised for offset dishes which have a much higher F/d ratio. Therefore the performance would suffer quite a bit and the 180cm dish might not perform any bette (or much better) than a smaller dish if you didn't use an appropriate feed assembly on it. Also, if you had any idea of trying to get C-band on the dish youd need to get a feedhorn that does both C and Ku which means youd need something like a corotor or bullseye type feedhorn.

Anyway, the 180cm dish could perhaps be part of a fairly decent FTA system but youd have to spend more on the feedhorn and LNBs and youd have to spent more to motorise the dish and by the time you got through youd probably be better off getting a right proper BUD that's at least 8.5' of larger as a 120cm dish isn't really optimal for C band.

One thing you might want to look at is getting an old 40" x 30" primestar or 1.0M or 1.2M channel master dish and using it for a motorised Ku only setup. If you look around you might be able to find one locally for cheap or even free form someone who used to subscribe to primestar before they went out of business and has yet to remove the old dish from their yard. You can also sometimes find old BUDs that way, but a BUD will me more work, cost more, and may be a bit more complicated to get up and working for someone new to FTA.

I dont have the link to Invacom at hand, but they coment that there is a difference in the single and dual output models on signal quality. I believe that they state that the dual output lnbf works better on larger dishes. I have a thread " $ 5 C band dish " , will offer some of my findings there today. Best wishes !

I dunno 'bout all of this. I think those buying the 120cm dishes are compensating for something.... ;) After all, it's how you use the dish that matters.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)