Does Temperature have an effect

Status
Please reply by conversation.

zigzag941

Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
On a motorised dish? I have a tri-band yagi beam for amateur radio HF work . The azimuth is controlled by a rotator motor which I can't use when the temperature goes below 0° C as the grease in the gearbox gets too stiff. So my question is.. does temperature affect the motor on a dish the way it affects my HF beam rotator? Anybody have any experience along these lines?
What about snow piling up on the top of the LNB? I've been driving around my neighborhood after a recent snowstorm , looking at all the dishes and although there doesn't appear to be snow sticking to the dishes themselves, the LNB's which are a little more horizontal are covered in snow . Would this situation be affecting their reception?

ZZ

well I have used the same motor for 4 MN winters now and it hasnt missed a beat yet. Still runs even though right now its below 0F. Just moved from SBS6 (74W) to G10 (123W) in the same amount of time as if it was summer. This past Saturday we had temp of +2F and windchill of -20F and it still ran like a champ

Sunday night we had 7 inches of snow and they were on the bottom half of my dish and on top of the LNB. Didnt lose any signal. Now if the snow gets between the signal from the dish & LNB, that's different and it will affect it

The temperature itself doesn't effect the motor or dish. However, snow piling up on the dish or LNB will have an adverse effect on signal and heavy snow could burn out your motor due to the added weight. I live in a "big snow" area and I clean my dishes and LNBs after every significant snowfall.

same here Tracy (except for the motorized right now...cant get to it but there is no snow on it)

On a motorised dish? I have a tri-band yagi beam for amateur radio HF work . The azimuth is controlled by a rotator motor which I can't use when the temperature goes below 0° C as the grease in the gearbox gets too stiff.
Is that a Yaesu or Hy-Gain? :D

My Stab HH120 was turning its little heart out last night as the temps fell to -13C. No issues here going from 72w to 123w.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts