Does the DirecTV HD-DVR HR54 work with a Slingbox Pro HD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mkerdman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Does the DirecTV HD-DVR HR54 work with a Slingbox Pro HD using the Component Video Outputs of the AV Dongle?

Does the HR54 output HDMI and Component Video simultaneously?

Thanks in advance.

It should work, I've used Slingboxes with Genies. The outputs are simultaneous. Using anything other than the component outputs can be challenging as the receiver will ask you to lower to SD output when viewing the guide. Essentially when they went to the HD UI they never implemented an upgrade to the SD version.

Using component with the HDMI connected can trigger a HDCP error. I found adding a basic active HDMI splitter (around $20 on Monoprice) resolves this. The other option is to use component output from the slingbox to the TV and not use HDMI at all (which avoids HDCP). This may not be an issue depending on the handshake your receiver and television make. It may take some trial and error to see if you need the extra step.

I retired my sling box when the Mobile DVR was released this summer. I don't use it much, and Mobile DVR is flakey, but for the occasional use I've been able to get it to work or use the applicable streaming app for that particular channel.

I am thinking of trying to use a Slingbox Pro HD connected to with Component Video and to control an HR54 and view it on a PC upstairs on the same network, while the HR54 is connected to the Main HDTV by HDMI.

So, I am asking if the HR54 will simultaneously output HDMI and Component Video.

Yes, provided the main TV is on to establish HDCP (or you add a HDCP capable splitter if needed to maintain the handshake if the main TV is off).
You won't know if you need to address HDCP until you try it, as some TVs maintain the handshake at all times.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts