Does your Gamestop do this?

For once, I agree with you. :)

That is cool.... but I just totally ddin't do what I said I was going to do.

Before I went to work for a couple hours I looked at every chain I could think of online to see if I could find the game I wanted anywhere. Target, Kmart, Walmart, Best Buy. The closest store to have it in stock outside Gamestop was in a town 30 minutes away (60 minutes round trip if traffic is good). Both the Walmart and BB in that town had it. So I thought, well my only choice is Gamestop or order it online.

So I finished working and went to Gamstop. I looked for it and couldn't find it new or used and told the fella behind the counter that the website says they have it instock "new."

Low and behold he said, "If we do it is the LAST COPY."

Is that their BS sales pitch answer for selling you a copy that is opened? Or did we all really experience last copy syndrome? Like I said, I typically buy my games on release Tuesday and they are always sealed and taken out of a shipping box. Until today, I have never been offered an opened item as new, not shrink wrapped.

Well, I wasn't in the mood to argue or get mad and order online so I inspected the disc and it was pristine. It wasn't used but did an employee take it home to play? Who knows. I needed some MS points anyway so I went ahead and bought it even though I said on here I wouldn't and had basically told myself not to.

But this isn't normally an issue and I doubt it will happen to me again. If and when I go there again it will be strictly to avoid the longer drive to Best Buy on a Tuesday release day, in the event Target doesn't have a game I want. But I would typically go to Best Buy anyway and get a couple movies or whatever too.

But, this circumstance was different. Sacred 2 Fallen Angel only got 6-7 out of 10 by the reviewers but the gaming community members who like such games said it is great. My thinking is that they didn't press enough copies, expecting poor sales. Gamestop can pretty much be counted on as having everything in stock new while Best Buy and Target often don't in just a few short weeks or months that follow a release of a game.

Another thing that annoyed me was that they were selling Sneak King used for $10. Hello, I am pretty sure we paid something like free to $5 for the BK Xbox games a few years ago. Who would buy Sneak King. If somebody wanted it that bad that I knew in real life I would probably just give it to them. It really isn't that fun.

Somebody asked how they know if you open it and play it regarding return policy. They put a queer clear round sticker on the case. I guess if the seal is broken they consider that the same as buying at a normal store and opening the shrink wrap.

I really cannot believe they get away with this legally and from the game manufacturers. It is totally foolish. They should not be opening these games. I understand wanting the employees to be familiar with the games at a specialty store like that. I often ask them how the game is knowing those dorks have probably played anything I am buying. But what they really need to do is either A- sell the kid his own copy at cost or B- have one copy that the employees can take home and then sell it as USED when everyone is done trying out the game. For god sakes it is only $5 mark down for a used game.

Let me ask, because I have never done it. If a game is one month old and a very popular game which they have very few of used and you go in to sell your game that they are going to turn around and sell for $55, what do they give you for the used game? $25? $20? Talk about a huge profit margin. I read an article that they are making way more money off used games than new. I should stand outside their store with a sign saying "For trade: game a, game b, game c. Looking for: game d, game e, game f." That way, nobody is profiting off my trade like they are. What foolishness.

Make sure the security labels are on it too if its a 360 game. Most Gamestop's have a shrinkwrap machine to put shrinkwrap back on the case.

Make sure the security labels are on it too if its a 360 game. Most Gamestop's have a shrinkwrap machine to put shrinkwrap back on the case.

Yeah, that is sneaky... but right, the official new games have an MS logo sticker thing along the side.

The dude made no attempt to trick me, as if in his own mind it was common and legal for a store to open something and sell it as new. Maybe MS should bring back those old plastic things stores like Walmart used to use to prevent theft. You would have to cut your new CDs out of that big plastic contraption. This opening the games and trying them out at home business must be put to a stop. They should remain sealed until the customer buys it. Jerks.

Let me ask, because I have never done it. If a game is one month old and a very popular game which they have very few of used and you go in to sell your game that they are going to turn around and sell for $55, what do they give you for the used game? $25? $20? Talk about a huge profit margin. I read an article that they are making way more money off used games than new. I should stand outside their store with a sign saying "For trade: game a, game b, game c. Looking for: game d, game e, game f." That way, nobody is profiting off my trade like they are. What foolishness.
Very often you get ripped off on the trade-in of games. I used to trade stuff in a lot and I'd have to trade in 3+ games to get enough credit to buy 1 new one. Once I finally wised up to this I signed up with Gamefly and saved much money and time by just holding on to games and returning them after I beat them, and often their "Keep it" prices are very reasonable. The best is when you get a game "first" (you get it rented the day it is released) and you have a lot of coupons and discounts available, because when you "keep it" you essentially get a brand new game at a used price (minus negligible wear and tear from the shipping process.)

Very often you get ripped off on the trade-in of games. I used to trade stuff in a lot and I'd have to trade in 3+ games to get enough credit to buy 1 new one. Once I finally wised up to this I signed up with Gamefly and saved much money and time by just holding on to games and returning them after I beat them, and often their "Keep it" prices are very reasonable. The best is when you get a game "first" (you get it rented the day it is released) and you have a lot of coupons and discounts available, because when you "keep it" you essentially get a brand new game at a used price (minus negligible wear and tear from the shipping process.)

Wow.... I may try Gamefly.... I have been buying a lot of games and many of them turn out to be crappy even after good reviews and I just eat the loss. I try my hardest to get into a game but sometimes I cannot. Maybe Gamefly is the way to go. I am not really into renting at Blockbuster and stuff. But Gamefly is just like Netflix for games, right?

Wow... I just noticed they have a shipping center in Tampa Florida.... that is right in my back yard (I live in St Pete). It is a day via the mail system.... score!

Wow.... I may try Gamefly.... I have been buying a lot of games and many of them turn out to be crappy even after good reviews and I just eat the loss. I try my hardest to get into a game but sometimes I cannot. Maybe Gamefly is the way to go. I am not really into renting at Blockbuster and stuff. But Gamefly is just like Netflix for games, right?

Wow... I just noticed they have a shipping center in Tampa Florida.... that is right in my back yard (I live in St Pete). It is a day via the mail system.... score!
Essentially it's Netflix for games, and if you have a shipping center that close, it's even better. Mine is about 2-3 days away from me, but I've had instances where it takes nearly a week for them to get my returned games. I don't see that being a problem for you though. Generally they are very good with sending and receiving games. If you have an open slot on the day a game in your queue is released, odds are very good that you'll have a copy shipped out that day. And you also get constant rewards/discounts and they often run sales and such. I've had a few problems with games being broken or scratched up, but those are very rare, and they'll send you out another copy if you report it (but remember that it's not automatic that you get it. I had to wait a week to get another copy of RE5 shipped to me.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)