Dogs and Cats living together!

SandraC

On Vacation
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
OK I'm not sure if this is physically possible, but this die-hard Yankee fan has been and will continue to root for the Red Sox this postseason. I truly enjoyed last night's clincher, and was thrilled when Bay scored the winning run. Seems like not long ago I would have been disgusted, unable to watch.

I've been trying to think of why this has happened, and this is what I've come up with:

1. Most of the people I disliked on the Red Sox are no longer there. Schilling, Manny, Martinez, Millar, Damon (when he was an idiot), etc. I'm still not thrilled with Varitek for when he started a fight with A-Rod in full catcher's gear (he should have at least removed his mask), but I'll over look that.

2. I have to root for Jon Lester. What a truly incredible and heart-warming story. After beating cancer, I don't see how a big game could rattle this guy.

3. I like Terry Francona a lot. The man is pure class. He says and does everything the right way.

4. Same for Big Papi. For some reason without Manny he seems totally likeable to me.

5. It helps that I like to see the Angels lose, since the Yankees never beat them.

6. Let's see, would I rather watch World Series games taking place at Fenway Park, or Tropicana field? One is filled with history, quirky dimensions, rabid fans who are dressed for Fall, grass, and fresh air. The other has...I don't even know, or want to find out. A carpet, and it just looks plain ugly on TV. Tough call.

Sandra

OK I'm not sure if this is physically possible, but this die-hard Yankee fan has been and will continue to root for the Red Sox this postseason. I truly enjoyed last night's clincher, and was thrilled when Bay scored the winning run. Seems like not long ago I would have been disgusted, unable to watch.

I've been trying to think of why this has happened, and this is what I've come up with:

1. Most of the people I disliked on the Red Sox are no longer there. Schilling, Manny, Martinez, Millar, Damon (when he was an idiot), etc. I'm still not thrilled with Varitek for when he started a fight with A-Rod in full catcher's gear (he should have at least removed his mask), but I'll over look that.

2. I have to root for Jon Lester. What a truly incredible and heart-warming story. After beating cancer, I don't see how a big game could rattle this guy.

3. I like Terry Francona a lot. The man is pure class. He says and does everything the right way.

4. Same for Big Papi. For some reason without Manny he seems totally likeable to me.

5. It helps that I like to see the Angels lose, since the Yankees never beat them.

6. Let's see, would I rather watch World Series games taking place at Fenway Park, or Tropicana field? One is filled with history, quirky dimensions, rabid fans who are dressed for Fall, grass, and fresh air. The other has...I don't even know, or want to find out. A carpet, and it just looks plain ugly on TV. Tough call.

Sandra

Welcome to the dark side, Sandra! :)

I totally agree with you about the Varitek/A-Rod brawl too.

As much as I can't stand A-Rod (to me he's the anti-Jeter), I've always said it was bush for Tek to leave his mask on.

Welcome to the dark side, Sandra! :)

I totally agree with you about the Varitek/A-Rod brawl too.

As much as I can't stand A-Rod (to me he's the anti-Jeter), I've always said it was bush for Tek to leave his mask on.

And the Red Sox are doing everything right too. They've totally left the Yankees in the dust, and are setting the standard the Yankees will be chasing for the next decade.

Ellsbury, Pedroia, Papelbon, Masterson, Lowrie, Lester, etc., are turning out to be what the Yankees hoped Joba, Melky, Cano, Hughes, Kennedy, Gardner, etc. would turn out to be. There is still time for those guys to become stars, and of course with the Yankees' resources they will always be able to supplement what the farm system doesn't produce through free agency. So they'll never be out of it.

But oh how the tide has turned from five years ago, when it looked like the Red Sox would perenially finish second!

Sandra

And the Red Sox are doing everything right too. They've totally left the Yankees in the dust, and are setting the standard the Yankees will be chasing for the next decade.

Ellsbury, Pedroia, Papelbon, Masterson, Lowrie, Lester, etc., are turning out to be what the Yankees hoped Joba, Melky, Cano, Hughes, Kennedy, Gardner, etc. would turn out to be. There is still time for those guys to become stars, and of course with the Yankees' resources they will always be able to supplement what the farm system doesn't produce through free agency. So they'll never be out of it.

But oh how the tide has turned from five years ago, when it looked like the Red Sox would perenially finish second!

Sandra
Sandra,

The Red Sox producing quality home grown talent, reminds me of your Yankees in the 90's. Of course, the Red Sox home grown talent has a longggg way to go, to even sniff what the likes of Jeter, Bernie Williams, Posada, Mo Rivera, Pettitte, et al accomplished in Pinstripes (the '98 Yankees are the best team that I ever saw). But I think the Sox have definitely cultivated themselves a team that will challenge for years to come.

(the '98 Yankees are the best team that I ever saw)

Here's an interesting fact about those 1998 Bronx Bombers:

they did not have a single 30-home run hitter. The top home-run hitter on that team, Bernie Williams, had 28.

Here's an interesting fact about those 1998 Bronx Bombers:

they did not have a single 30-home run hitter. The top home-run hitter on that team, Bernie Williams, had 28.

Sabres,
that's a great stat :up, and I think that speaks volumes of why that Yankees team was so special. They were a T-E-A-M!

I think the Red Sox home grown guys are coming up huge. They may not be able to sniff Mariano, Jeter, Posada etc. but they are pretty close. Winning 2 titles in 4 years (maybe 3 titles in 5 yrs.?) is pretty hard to do.

I don't have a feeling on the A-Rod/Varitek brawl. I guess you could say it was bush that Varitek kept the mask on. I just think A-Rod is too about A-Rod. I thought the play he had with Arroyo was totally bush.

I will say that the Yankees have classy guys like Torre, Jeter, Rivera. I have to disagree with Sandra on two Yankee young players. Cano and Kennedy. You could have both of them. Cano has a somewhat lack luster player with a bad attitude. Kennedy shot his mouth off in Anaheim a couple of months ago. Everyone is fine.

I think the Red Sox home grown guys are coming up huge. They may not be able to sniff Mariano, Jeter, Posada etc. but they are pretty close. Winning 2 titles in 4 years (maybe 3 titles in 5 yrs.?) is pretty hard to do.

Mets,
while the '07 Red Sox had considerable contributions from their home grown talent (Youkilis, Papelbon, Pedroia, Ellsbury, Lester, Delcarmen and Clay Buchholz), the '04 team was more of a "bought" championship. Only Youkilis was on the '04 team, and he was a part time player backing up Bill Mueller at third base.

I don't have a feeling on the A-Rod/Varitek brawl. I guess you could say it was bush that Varitek kept the mask on. I just think A-Rod is too about A-Rod. I thought the play he had with Arroyo was totally bush.

Totally agree! :up The A-Rod "bitch slap" on Bronson Arroyo took bush league to a new level!

I will say that the Yankees have classy guys like Torre, Jeter, Rivera. I have to disagree with Sandra on two Yankee young players.

Throw in there Bernie Williams as well.

I know as a born and bred Red Sox fan that I'm ALWAYS supposed to "hate" the Yankees, but that core group you just named made it impossible. Respect is the only adjective I had/have for those guys (especially Jeter and Torre).

Sorry....but to me, the Red Sox have somewhat become "the evil empire-lite". I have ALWAYS rooted for the underdog that was not my team playing and as much I HATE Tropicana what-ever-it's-called....that stadium will not make me root for the Red Sox. AND ESPECIALLY how much they use to loved to fight with Rays when they sucked.....

...little brother won't be picked on no more....!:mad:;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts