Dolan to invest $400M in Voom

HD content vs HD television

riffjim4069 said:
Somebody needs to suck up their pride and realize the HUGE growth potential for a VOOM/HDNet partnership. Ten million HD devices are expected to be sold this year and the average consumer is going to demand HD.

I have to disagree, reluctantly.

The more people I talk to abouvt voom & HD television, the more I realize that folks think HD is all in the TV you buy, and never give a thought to what content goes on it. I've been in several living rooms w/ 50+ inch HD televisions that are watching basic cable, and have a total of zero high def. channels - the worst part is, they don't even know it! They are ALWAYS surprised when I explain that they do not have high def., only the capability to display high def.

Last parting shot on this one...

Rick,

if you do not see it, I guess I have to give up and just say: You are the absolute genius when it comes to this matters. I give up
This is my point. Too many people around here have the, "I'm right and you're not only wrong, but crazy for not agreeing with me." This is NOT what I have been saying. It can be boiled down to this--I have an OPINION, which I formed based on the information available to the pulic (not an, inside source," I know nothing about). Others have formed an opinion based on some of the same things and have taken the, "inside source," as gospel. Now, that's perfectly fine, we're all entitled to our own opinions. However, why is it, when someone has an opinion, which is, "Voom may have a tough time," or, "Voom may not survive," so many people get so defensive and try and tell the person with that opinion why he or she is not only wrong but crazy??? I have only retaliated to certain people in this way when I was attacked first.

And, yes, I know this is a Voom forum and all that. I thought the whole idea of a forum like this is for people to exchange information on Voom and share thoughts and opinions on certain aspects related to Voom. I guess it's turned into a forum where you'd better worship Voom and Dolan or you're hated. A bit harsh don't you think?

So it's not about, "I'm right and you're wrong." People have tried to tell me I'm crazy for having the opinions I've had. I have tried to explain why I have/had those opinions.

The Rickster

I don't think people are attacking you for you opinions Rick, but rather that much of the evidence you use to back up your argument is at best exaggerated and misinterpreted, or at worst fabricated outright.

You're welcome to your opinions, I've only argued with you when your facts were incorrect.

cpnkirk said:
I've been in several living rooms w/ 50+ inch HD televisions that are watching basic cable, and have a total of zero high def. channels - the worst part is, they don't even know it! They are ALWAYS surprised when I explain that they do not have high def., only the capability to display high def.

Each time I visit Best Buy or Fry's, I'm amazed at the lousy pictures displayed on high def sets. I remember being initially astonished when I installed rabbit ears and tuned to PBSHD in my living room. My bet is that their video switch networks don't have the bandwidth or the power to handle the job. I've told them that they would pay for a system upgrade with one day's increased sales. If people saw an uncompressed, high quality HD feed on even a low level HD set, most would be juggling their budget to take one home. Seems to me Voom could team with Fry's (which are in the more sophisticated markets) and display a quality Voom picture on select hardware for an instant boost in subs.

RocketMan said:
Each time I visit Best Buy or Fry's, I'm amazed at the lousy pictures displayed on high def sets.

The BB and CC out by us always have a HD demo loop up which looks very good on their HD sets.

Every one I've ever been to shows HD on the plasma and lcd's. This is great, but they need to show it on the less expensive ones too. If you want to entice someone on the fence to buy an HDTV, a 700 dollar investment looks a lot better than a 7,000 dollar one.

That's why they only show the good imagery on the $7K sets, don't you think ;).

I would say that the retailers have gotten much better in HD presentation in the past few months. A year ago you'd see stretched SD (or at best an uprezzed demo SD DVD) on all the sets from a crappy coax feed, now at least it's a 50% chance of actually being HD.

I don't think people are attacking you for you opinions Rick, but rather that much of the evidence you use to back up your argument is at best exaggerated and misinterpreted, or at worst fabricated outright.

You're welcome to your opinions, I've only argued with you when your facts were incorrect.
I won't get into this with you again butI will say this, coming from someone who is using an, "inside source," for your facts, I find it funny you're attacking my sources. You have yet to show anyone anything and keep claiming to, "know someone inside." At least I'm going off of articles and information available to the general public. And again, what does it matter what information I base an OPINION on? I'm not preaching and trying to convince everyone they're wrong and I'm right. I've been defending why I have my OPINION that is all. You (and others) have been trying to beat people like myself up over OPINIONS like mine. Remember, I stated my opinions and was promptly attacked. I never attacked anyone until I was (myself) attacked. We are all entitled to our opinions whether we agree with one another or not.

And you can claim I have misinterpreted information which has been available. This is your opinion and that way you have viewed the information available. Doesn't make you right or wrong any more than it makes me right or wrong. So why attack ME for it???

And yes, I have been attacked for my opinions. I'm not the only one who has been attacked for having an opinion that Voom may not make it. People take it as an attack on Voom and take it as, "anti-Voom," which I am not and never have been.

I have never fabricated any information either. Honestly, I'm sick of you claiming I have. It is downright insulting--especially coming from someone who has YET to show any evidence themselves. So please, just stop trying to make yourself more important than you are when you're just like the rest of us--waiting to see what happens.

The Rickster

You said the the Dolans said things in press releases and filings which they didn't. Those are either mistakes or fabrications... Take your pick. Again, I'm not attacking your opinions, but the "evidence" you have used to back up your opinions.

And I ***have*** (Jesus Christ, for the umpteenth time) I have shown you evidence - in the form of SEC filings and internal memos... Maybe you don't agree with my analysis, but I have shown you REAL evidence.

If you're insulted by my statements then maybe you should do better in the fact-checking department.

Niceprophet:

Believe what you want to believe. We've been over this many times...your sources are no better than what I mentioned. I never quoted anyone. I never said anything was the gospel truth. I interpreted what I read in one way, you interpreted it in another way. How can you claim someone is wrong when we're both looking at some of the same sources and just reading them differently???

If it feels good for you to insult people like that, then have fun. I'm done with you...

The Rickster

LOL... I'm not even talking about the analysis which is opinon... I'm talking about facts.

I could very easily search through the threads (as others have) and point out where you have said press releases SAID something and the Dolans even ADMITTED something, and it was just factually wrong.

But you know, it's just easier to put you on "ignore."

So... *poof*

Ah, another idiot who feels the need to feel as if you have any power by stating you are putting someone on ignore. As long as it makes you feel better. Keep posing your garbage about, "knowing someone who said something." According an article being published John Malone even has implied Dolan is not receiving funding from anyone else. He has said, and I am paraphrasing here, if Voom is going to survive it will be because Dolan Sr. does it himself. So, my interpretation must not have been too far off...

And no it doesn't matter where the funding comes from in one sense.

The Rickster

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)