Dolby 5.1 which reciever would I need??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wobbie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 22, 2004
I would like to get dolby 5.1 and my current reciever does not have the capability. Does anyone know what reciever I may need?? :confused:

If you are talking about satellite receivers then just make sure the satellite receiver has a dolby digital optical or coaxial output...........DIGITAL~DAN

Sorry, I'm talking Satellite reciever, would like the digital optical output on the reciver to feed into my sound system. Direct is suppose to becoming tommorow to upgrade my old reciever that went bad. The CSR at Direct told me that the technician would tell me when he got here. I just don't want to waste a day waiting to find out.

Just a regular reciever, do I need to upgrade to Tivo or HD to get dolby 5.1

The RCA standard receiver I had, had an optical out port. Note though that not all channels are outputting 5.1, mainly the HD and some of the premium movie channels.

I would highly recommend upgrading that standard receiver to a DTivo unit. Not only will you still have the DD 5.1 capability, but you also can record any show you want.

no, if you want a regular receiver that has dolby digital 5.1 then the install will probley bring you a rca or the hughes receiver that has DD 5.1. Its is according to what he has on his truck as to what you get. Directv has just announced recently that rca will be the only provider of there receivers in the future., so there is no telling what kind of receiver you will get because they are starting to deplete the inventory pretty fast.
...........DIGITIAL~DAN

NOTE: The standard RCA ird that the previous person is referring to is model DRD-435RH, and while it does have an optical audio out, it only supports PCM digital audio, not true Dolby Digital. Any Tivo or HD will support Dolby 5.1 sound. Here are the makes and models of some standard D* receivers that support Dolby 5.1 sound:

RCA: DRD460RE, DRD480RE, DRD430RG/RG-A, DRD450RG/RG-A, DRD451RG, DRD455RH, DRD485RG, DRD486RG/RG-A, DRD486RH

PHILIPS: DSX5540

SONY: SAT-A50, SAT-A55

SAMSUNG: SIR-S75, SIR-S310W

Note that not all of these receivers are compatible with programming from the 72.5/95 satallite, though they are all compatible with 101/110/119 programming. Hope this helps.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts