Dolby Digital dropouts/static?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JerseyMatt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
Midwest
I searched quick but didn't see any other threads on this, only on the regular (quiet) sound glitches. Those I can deal with. The past week or so I've had serious audio issues with my two HD receivers. One H21, one HR24. Both have digital connections to their respective sound system (one via coax, one via optical). All of a sudden the sound will drop then there will be a wicked burst of digital static ranging from a blip to several seconds. Once it happens, it keeps happening every once in a while until I reset the receiver. Then it may not happen for a day or two.

I thought it was isolated to the HR24 or its sound system because that's where it happened the first two times, but now it's happening in the other room too..

Anyone else come across this one? Now I'm afraid to crank up the volume because I don't want to blow my speakers out when it happens.

How is the video connection being made to the TV. Do you have video connected directly to the TV and audio to the AV receiver? What brand of receiver?

I have a Sony STR-DE685. I have HDMI to my TV but I split sound off to the Sony. So basically my TV does video switching and my receiver handles audio. Occasionally I get these loud snap-crackle-pops and my receiver goes into PROTECT mode. I've noticed this NEVER happens if I turn off the receiver and turn on the TV's speakers.

I suspect it has something to do with splitting out the audio, but I don't know, technically, why this should happen.

For what it's worth, it did the exact same thing when I had E* using my VIP622.

Both TVs are via HDMI. However, one of them is an older plasma which does not have an HDMI port, it uses DVI-D with an adapter cable, therefore it does not receive audio through HDMI. Both DirecTV boxes are connected directly to the receivers. One optical, one coax. One is an Onkyo, the other is Yamaha.

Why not go from DirecTV to A/V unit and then A/V unit to the TV / monitor? I would think that would be cleaner and easier. I do this with my units (see sig below) and have no issues.

I would love to, but they are both older receivers. Neither one does HDMI. At some point I will replace them, but right now they work wonderfully and I can't justify the expense.

I have noticed extreme audio problems, also. However it has only been the last two days on both mr HR24s. So far it has been on 720 programming I've watched. No problems on NCIS but problems on Fox News and ABC

S~

charper1 said:
Why not go from DirecTV to A/V unit and then A/V unit to the TV / monitor? I would think that would be cleaner and easier. I do this with my units (see sig below) and have no issues.

I have seen this comment before, and I have ask you, how long do you think they have come with HDMI ports. I bought my receiver in December of 2006 and it only receives digital signals via coax and optical.

I would say the majority of receivers out there are not capable of being connected via HDMI. To ask someone "why not just connect it via HDMI" is being awfully naive.

It wasnt naive; simply asked the OP why not since he was using HDMI (to a degree) and he gave the answer, nuff said. I know numerous users connect both all HDMI and via other digital means (COAX, optical) they dont experience issues. I am beginning to think that something with the encoding process has issues with cetain types or gear or setup; maybe those of age or lesser quality

My $.02

I have had external sound problems since day one.
The progression of H-20's (optical) was a horrible affair.

I was finally upgraded to an H-21 over a month ago and it was pretty smooth sailing. The box did a software update on 11/5 and the next day the Hiss/Pop made the cat jump 3 feet into the air and my receiver cut out. (I wasn't listening at a high level) but the "Static Pop" was horrendous.

With a bit of leverage I received an H24, and so far it is worse than the 21, in this regard.

At the moment, I have Dolby Digital turned off on the H24, to get some run time just to see if my Marantz can manage to stay out of the shop.

I'm running HDMI direct to my TV with no sound problems at all. My receiver only accepts Digital Optical and Coax. It seems that the evil is coming from the Digital Audio port from either converter box.

I think that the software update threw a "boon-doggle" to their digital encoding. Yes, I made them aware of this and will be talking to Case Management by Monday.

My choices are the "Big 2" satellite providers and lovable Comcast. I cannot decide which is the better/worse of the 3.

I really don't care if you hate it or not. I made a mistake. Things happen. If it isn't what you wanted to know then just ignore it. Don't make a big deal out of nothing. Do you think that you are perfect and never make a mistake?

You didn't make a mistake, you just didn't bother to read any part of the thread except the title before you consciously searched out the other thread and pasted the link with your condescending remark. In a help forum, that absolutely unacceptable. Kthxbye.

You didn't make a mistake, you just didn't bother to read any part of the thread except the title before you consciously searched out the other thread and pasted the link with your condescending remark. In a help forum, that absolutely unacceptable. Kthxbye.

Yes I did make a mistake. I did read some of the thread but not all of it because I didn't have the time. I had work to do. I thought it was about something that it wasn't about and thought that the link might help. There was no condescending remark in the post. Just a link to a thread that wasn't going to be a help to you. For that I am sorry. But I must say that you seem to be the one getting all bent out of shape about nothing. I see posts from people here every day who make mistakes about things and you are the only one who seems to get upset. BTW I didn't have to search out the other thread because I have posted in it more than once. I knew the link and just thought it would help. Sorry that it was about the wrong thing and sorry that it didn't help, but I think that you need to grow up a little.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)