Dolby Digital from Dish receiver

dntc0x

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 30, 2009
I've looked in some of the postings, and never found an answer for the following:

In my vip211 manual, it says that Dolby digital is available by using the optical output. It doesn't mention whether the HDMI output contains the Dolby digital signal or not.

The sound system that I presently have only has one optical input (built before HDMI), but no HDMI input/outputs.

I presently have a DVD player connected to the optical input on the sound system.

I'd like to be able to have Dolby sound from my Dish receiver, but as it is now I'd literally have to patch one component or the other to the one available optical input.
I'm trying to determine whether to upgrade my sound system, or to try and find an optical switch of some sort (which cost would probably be a significant portion towards a new system) that I could use with my present equipment. There is probably some sort of manual switch available to do that, but that's not much better than manual patching.

Before I make up my mind, I'd like to know if HDMI outputs from sources (like the Dish receivers) actually contain the Dolby audio, or do they only provide 2-channel digital sound?

I see that many new surround-sound systems have multiple HDMI ports, so I'm assuming that at least some components provide Dolby digital via HDMI, but does the Dish equipment?

If so, I wish that they would have said so in the manual!

Thanks!

My receiver seems similar to yours. Mine also has a digital coax (rca) input and my BR player has such an output as well, freeing up the single optical for the Dish receiver. Might want to check that out.

Yes, Dish 211 does output digital audio via HDMI.

Last edited:
Ditto. I would check if your DVD player and AVR have coaxial digital audio connections to free up the optical audio connection on the AVR.

Concerning your question regarding DD though HDMI on a 211.

When I tune OTA with my display's tuner, my display's audio info reads Dolby Digital Stereo.
When I use the 211k via HDMI, the display shows everything (including the pass through OTA) as PCM. I have the display set to detect either PCM or DD.

My 2009 display has never detected DD through the HDMI from the 211k. Your results may vary.
The 211k optical audio out is set to DD or PCM and I get DD to my receiver.

Most Dish channels have sub-par Dolby Digital anyway, without 5.1 (little or no audio from the surround speakers).
Then I use the analog audio output with CSII surround and get good sound out of all of the speakers.
Broadcast OTA has better sounding 5.1 audio.

Last edited:
You can get a manual 3-way optical switch/splitter/selector from monoprice.com for $6.34 plus shipping. Just go to their website and put in the part #, 2946, in the search box to find it. I just got one a couple weeks ago for an A/V receiver I have in a spare room that has only one optical input.
Yer welcome.

Ed

Yes Dolby digital is output over hdmi and optical. To the previous poster, most displays will only accept two-channel PCM. DD 5.1 is usually only for the internal tuner. Dish broadcasts the audio the provider sends, either 5.1 or PCM.

S~

Never had an issue with this on any dish receiver (including 922, 722k, 722, 622, 211k, or 942)

Dunno why but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

No problem with Bluray player and DVD recorder getting DD/5.1 via HDMI but could not do it with the 722. Would only deliver 2 channel stereo. No big deal to run an optical cable though.

Ed

The 722K only provides Dolby 5.1 thru the optical port for use with a external decoder/receiver.
The HDMI output on the receiver is designed to output Video and digital PCM only.

The 722K only provides Dolby 5.1 thru the optical port for use with a external decoder/receiver.
The HDMI output on the receiver is designed to output Video and digital PCM only.
The only situation where that would be true is if you are trying to pass 5.1 through your TV optical out, which most TVs will not do with the exception of OTA from TV tuner.

Last edited:
I just tried my 211 and it definitely outputs 5.1 though the HDMI.

As mentioned above, if you hook up a TV though HDMI, the TV is getting DD5.1 fromt he receiver. But there is no TV on the market that will take that DD5.1 signal and pass it through its optical output. This is by design to prevent pirating. It does nothing to stop pirating and is the most idiotic thing on the planet, but that's the way it is.

See ya
Tony

Dunno why but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

No problem with Bluray player and DVD recorder getting DD/5.1 via HDMI but could not do it with the 722. Would only deliver 2 channel stereo. No big deal to run an optical cable though.

Ed

What model Onkyo do you have? I have a Onkyo 607 and a 722K works great. Maybe I can help.

What model Onkyo do you have? I have a Onkyo 607 and a 722K works great. Maybe I can help.

Small world..........I also have a 607. The Dish receiver involved is a 722 (NON-K). I was surprised that I couldn't get DD/5.1 via HDMI especially since I do get it through HDMI from my Bluray player and Upconvert DVD player/recorder. All of these run directly to the Onkyo, NOT through the TV. No big deal though, just ran an optical cable. Love the Onkyo!:)
Ed

Small world..........I also have a 607. The Dish receiver involved is a 722 (NON-K). I was surprised that I couldn't get DD/5.1 via HDMI especially since I do get it through HDMI from my Bluray player and Upconvert DVD player/recorder. All of these run directly to the Onkyo, NOT through the TV. No big deal though, just ran an optical cable. Love the Onkyo!:)
Ed

A couple of things to try, make sure the 722 is set to Dolby & PCM, then in the 607 in setup under listening mode preset, #3, CBL/SAT, cycle tru and see if you can see" "Dolby EX" that is the best setting to me , or just Dolby Digital. Then to check it. Make sure you use a channel like HD net, not all channels are in. DD. Last make sure you have a 1.3 or 1.4 HDMI cable. Does not have to a Monster but a new version. My buddy has the same setup as me with a 722 minus the k. And his works as well. I am wondering if t will work. Peace It is not uncommon for that aspect of the reciver to fail from posts I have read stressed HDMI ports. lose fit and so on if you have the 6.00 maintenance plan. If they replace it will be a 722k. FTI

Thanks Budda, I'll give it a try. Probably something stupid I did. It's been quite awhile since I set everything up and being an old fart that CRS I don't remember what I did but I'm pretty sure I have the correct settings and the cables are all good quality 1.3.

Ed

UPDATE-
I rechecked everything and all my settings were the same as yours (I prefer EX also). NO DD over HDMI. As soon as I disconnect the optical cable it changes from DD to stereo. :confused:I really don't think it's the HDMI connection/cable because I DO get audio, just not DD. Again, NO biggie since the optical is already hooked up and works fine. Thanks again for your reply.

Ed

Receiver setting

UPDATE-
I rechecked everything and all my settings were the same as yours (I prefer EX also). NO DD over HDMI. As soon as I disconnect the optical cable it changes from DD to stereo. :confused:I really don't think it's the HDMI connection/cable because I DO get audio, just not DD. Again, NO biggie since the optical is already hooked up and works fine. Thanks again for your reply.

Ed

It's been a while since I had my Onkyo but it sounds like you don't have the DD settings to be coming from the HDMI on the input you are using. If I remember correctly you have to set that for each input or it defaults to the optical.

UPDATE-

Ed
I don't know about Onkyo, but the very first Denon that accepted HDMI inputs defaulted to 'standard' digital outs. You had to go into the AVR's onscreen manual and change the parameters for each particular input. I had to change the 'TV' input to Video = HDMI 1, Audio=HDMI 1 etc.

The new Denons all default to HDMI as standard but maybe the 'older' Onkyos were similar to the older Denons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)