Don't Believe NPS about C band support ending.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I had filed a complaint with the Pennsylvania Attorney General's office a few weeks ago about NPS. His office contacted NPS and here is their written reply, just received today. If they're lying they just put it in writing and signed it. I blanked out my personal info.

I think that person at NPS created written purgery. You notice Mike Mountford isn't mentioned at all. Gee wonder why? Let the employee be the fall guy.

In my complaint to the atty. Gen here in Indiana, I included the info from Motorola that said they would continue as long as it was profitable and would re-evaluate every year. That kind of screws the story that NPS just stated in that reply if you ask me. Also NPS stated that 11 channels were leaving. At first NPS said comedy, and a few others were going but they are still there. It will be interesting to say the least to see what the response to my complaint will be. Have a great day!

Motorola has said they will continue support to the 4DTV as long as there is a dollar to be made. That is as official as it gets. NPS takes it's business plan to dump c band, and lets the propaganda fly.

Think about this? Why would NPS be privy to information from Motorola and not SRL and Skyvision? That would make no sense. If Motorola actually stated what NPS is saying SRL and Skyvision would have received the same information. What I think really went down was NPS refuses to pay the increases to uplink there G3 channel and tier bit increase to Motorola. If you notice NPS has moved on to there new online shopping gig Sobongo. They have took all there dollars and put it in that basket which leaves them no funds to support c band. SRL and Skyvision do nothing but satellite so why would they bite there bread and butter. I wonder how much of NPS's uplinking fees we have been paying for years was used to launch Sobongo vs being used to better c band? I would say a big chunk.

Per NPS's response'

"In December 2009 we received notification from Motorola that C-band authorizations would end on April 15, 2010."

That could be a true statement, think about this if you a bill from your local power company, and you choose not to pay it, or for that matter just couldn't pay it, they too would state that "Power would no longer be available"

So what if NPS is telling the truth, except they are "lieing" through omission of facts. We could speculate that maybe they owned Motorola some money and Motorola said if you do not pay up, or even if you do pay up, we no longer want to do business with your company, then by the farthest stretch of ones imagination that quote would be a factual statement.

Again I am just speculating. Have a great Sunday.

I wouldn't put it past NPS to not pay there bills. That's probably why they say channels are going away. They won't pay the renewal fees and of course they'll cut them off.

A week or so ago I was at a local C band dealer who is now mostly a "Charlie" dealer. He was in the business during C bands glory days and thinks that it still can survive. The guy seems to think that the number of C band subscribers is still decent and that it would be like running a "cable" company (meaning number of customers) in a small city like Pittsburgh PA. That should be lucrative enough to keep business interest in C band and keep it running he says. There are markets where there are no other means of receiving alot of those channels and C band can fill that void too. :up I must add that he is familiar with NPS but did not know about NPS' new policy towards C band. :(

If I could just get him to scrape that Charlie sticker off of his van I would feel much better! :D

Per NPS's response'

"In December 2009 we received notification from Motorola that C-band authorizations would end on April 15, 2010."

That could be a true statement, think about this if you a bill from your local power company, and you choose not to pay it, or for that matter just couldn't pay it, they too would state that "Power would no longer be available"

So what if NPS is telling the truth, except they are "lieing" through omission of facts. We could speculate that maybe they owned Motorola some money and Motorola said if you do not pay up, or even if you do pay up, we no longer want to do business with your company, then by the farthest stretch of ones imagination that quote would be a factual statement.

Again I am just speculating. Have a great Sunday.

Interesting thought, it's quite plausible - well done!

I heard last summer Motorola wasn't happy with NPS over the G3 thing. NPS wanted a Motorola engineer to come out for free to oversee Crawford flashing the old encoder firmware. I heard in one of the chats Mike Mountford said if we don't leave Motorola alone they won't have anything to do with them anymore. Is it possible that NPS was in hot water with Motorola already back then and now it escalated to this final outcome?

I currently get FTA DVBS and DVBS2 KU and C channels. I was thinking about buying the 4DTV gear and getting a SRL subscription. I pretty much read this whole thread. Should I still do this? How much longer can I expect 4DTV to be around? Is it worth the investment. The subscription prices are so reasonable though =(. I cant afford Charlie/Pizza. Motorolla doesnt make 4DTV receivers anymore right? Isnt the writing on the wall anyways? Looking for honest opinions as I really want to get a 4dtv sub but the receiver is $$. What receiver would be recommended at this point? Thanks!!!

I currently get FTA DVBS and DVBS2 KU and C channels. I was thinking about buying the 4DTV gear and getting a SRL subscription. I pretty much read this whole thread. Should I still do this? How much longer can I expect 4DTV to be around? Is it worth the investment. The subscription prices are so reasonable though =(. I cant afford Charlie/Pizza. Motorolla doesnt make 4DTV receivers anymore right? Isnt the writing on the wall anyways? Looking for honest opinions as I really want to get a 4dtv sub but the receiver is $$. What receiver would be recommended at this point? Thanks!!!

If you read the whole thread and listened to Mike Kohl in my audio files you know the score. I can't make the decision to get a 4DTV for you. If you listen to NPS's hype with any substance it can upset one and make them wonder. NPS is using scare tactics and they are disenchanting. To be honest, NPS's version of the truth bothers me from time to time if I listen too long.

There are people still buying 4DTV's, the one to get is the DSR-922. SRL & Skyvision has gotten quite a few of NPS's subscribers (including me). I'm still enjoying c band programming today and hope to for quite some time still. I don't care for pizza's prices, contracts, picture quality and games they play. Thats why I only like pizza with sausage and cheese :)

Last edited:

Just like tvropro says, we can't make a decision for you. I recently had a 4DTV model 920 receiver die on me.. Just about a month ago, I made the decision to stick with 4DTV for a bit and I bought a model 922 for a little over $100. Even if the 4DTV direct-to-home support dies, the receivers will still turn on some "free" channels, such as music and some talk channels. Plus, a nice bonus is when there are periods of time that the master feeds go into the clear due to technical issues. I've taken advantage of finding those feeds in the clear - and there isn't any other way to watch them other than having a 4DTV receiver. I think it all comes down to price. I personally wouldn't spend too much on a 4DTV receiver, but I would absolutely want to have one just to pick up the bonus channels that a normal FTA receiver can't get.

I received an e-mail from the assistant ag. In it was a response to my complaint about NPS. I will post it later today. If I am going to be able to respond to this contact, I will need written evidence as to what NPS is doing or this will be the end of my complaint. I would like to see anything from motorola and or people associated in the business that know the facts. I will then respond in one more e-mail thanking the assistant ag and offer up the info for them to chew on. The e-mail that I received from the ag mentioned that I might need a lawyer to pursue this privatly. So I need to show the ag that NPS is doing things that the ag needs to look into and thank them for their effortd so far. Looks like NPS has more credibility than little ole me.

I received an e-mail from the assistant ag. In it was a response to my complaint about NPS. I will post it later today. If I am going to be able to respond to this contact, I will need written evidence as to what NPS is doing or this will be the end of my complaint. I would like to see anything from motorola and or people associated in the business that know the facts. I will then respond in one more e-mail thanking the assistant ag and offer up the info for them to chew on. The e-mail that I received from the ag mentioned that I might need a lawyer to pursue this privatly. So I need to show the ag that NPS is doing things that the ag needs to look into and thank them for their effortd so far. Looks like NPS has more credibility than little ole me.

Thats how it always works big business has the upper hand. The only thing I can suggest to see if SRL or Skyvision has any input. You could talk to someone there about their side with Motorola.

The best thing we as consumers can do is to leave NPS promptly as our programming runs out, and get over to SRL or Skyvision. DO NOT give NPS or Charlie Ergen the satisfaction of getting Dish Network EVER.

As far as credit goes with NPS what I did with mine was used it up the day that NPS issued it to me. Soon as a couple alacart channels run there term I will be through with NPS. I already migrated over to SRL for most of my programming.
So even if it means getting something like HBO for a few months, use up any NPS credit ASAP. Those with large credit balances and yearly subs into next year I feel for you. Ever since analog channels were disappearing I ordered most higher price stuff 3 months at a time. I guess I was subconsciously protecting myself and not even knowing it.

The following is an e-mail exchange in regards to the loss of G3 channels, customer name has been changed to ****.

Dear ****,

****, I do apologize for the way you feel you were treated when our agents called to tell you about the Dish Network offer that we have for our C-Band customers. It is not our intention to ever make anyone feel pressured. Our goal is to try and make sure that our customers are informed about what is going on & to let them know that they have options, so that they don’t lose their programming that they enjoy. Also, since we have a special deal for our C-Band customers, we want them to be able to get the most programming for their money. This is a tough time for all of us, transition is hard. We are trying to make things as easy for our customers as we possibly can.

I understand your frustration & disappointment; I feel the same way about Motorola’s decision. ****, in case you haven’t heard the whole story, we do believe that Motorola will discontinue support of C-Band authorizations after the end of the year. In fact when they first presented the possibility of ending the authorization stream in late December 2009, they were looking to do so on April 15, 2010. We successfully lobbied to get that changed to the end of 2010 with possible reconsideration at that time. We do not believe that date will be extended so in good conscience we do not feel we can sell subscriptions that run beyond 12/31/2010.

If you reconsider at any time and want to hear about the specials with Dish Network, just reply back & I can have an agent contact you who will only give you information on packages & prices, that’s it. Thanks for your business & have a great week ****.

Mike Mountford
CEO
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: Michael Mountford
Subject: Loss of G3 channels in April

Dear Mike,

I'm sure you must get a lot of emails about this everyday and I do thank you for reading this one.

My wife & I are very saddened about the planned termination of channels on G3 in April and ask you to reconsider this decision.

We have been very happy big dish customers for nearly 10 years and love the flexibility offered by the service.

Is there no other alternative available?

You are the only big dish provider offering these channels, why not allow other providers to resell them for you (SRL/Skyvision?) and share the costs?

Even with the loss of these channels from the big dish, we will not switch to Dish Network. We were dissapointed and offended by NPS sales people and their hard sell tactics to switch us to Dish Network which has done nothing but leave a bad taste.

Regards

Well I can't figure out how to edit the personel info out of the copy of the fax that the ag sent to me. I will have to hammer it out by hand. I will post it on Saturday morning when I have the time to hammer it out. At least people will see what I got. Have a great day!

Well I can't figure out how to edit the personel info out of the copy of the fax that the ag sent to me. I will have to hammer it out by hand. I will post it on Saturday morning when I have the time to hammer it out. At least people will see what I got. Have a great day!

If you scan the document you can use a photo editor program to block our names. addresses etc, pretty easy.

If you scan the document you can use a photo editor program to block our names. addresses etc, pretty easy.

Thank You! Here it is. Notice the statement at the end about others uplinking after NPS drops them. So maybe they do have exclusive rights but once NPS stops uplinking them then others are free to take over. At least that is the way I read it. Have a great day!

Attachments

• Fax-Apr-19-2010-15-48-45-13283[1] (2).jpg
    Fax-Apr-19-2010-15-48-45-13283[1] (2).jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 152
Thank You! Here it is. Notice the statement at the end about others uplinking after NPS drops them. So maybe they do have exclusive rights but once NPS stops uplinking them then others are free to take over. At least that is the way I read it. Have a great day!

I never received an E-mail from NPS about c band ending and I still have some NPS services. So there's another NPS lie.

Seems NPS tells that same story over & over and over again. Notice how it's worded exactly the same. Standard cut and paste right from the sales script.
Last I heard from NPS they were saying well services may be around after Decenber 31'st after all. God they can't get there story straight.

At least they say that others can uplink after they drop. That was a question that people were asking. And just for your info, I received a new renewal notice from NPS the yesterday. There was no mention of a credit. So the credit is simply an offer to get other channels in this subscription that runs out in June. I want my news. I am on fixed income. So I am stuck with NPS until they drop the news channels. Then I will go to someone else. I can't afford to do both at the same time. My Pansat 9200 bit the dust last week so for now the only news I get is with C-band. I can only hope since NPS gave the clearance for others to take over, that someone does uplink the news channels. Have a great day!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)