Don't believe the hype! PS3 worth every penny!

dnyce

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 28, 2004
Atlanta
I've read a lot of treads on a lot of forums over the past few weeks just bashing the PS3. I am willing to bet lots of money that none of the people you see on this forum and others who bash the 3 actually own one!

For those of us who can afford it there is nothing out there that compares to the PS3. Out the box I can play gorgeous HD movies, I have enough Hard Drive space to hold my entire 17 gb collection of music. I have about 3 GB of pictures saved. BTW PS3 has the coolest slideshow options. Very cool to play while playing through your music during house parties. I do not own a laptop so instead of going upstairs to check my e-mail and update my fantasy I just use my PS3, yeah it has a web browser, smart huh. And yeah the video games look great too.

360 is a great video game system, that's all. PS3 is that and more. If your buying a video game system for your teenage son then yeah get the 360 but if you are an adult that spends allot of money on their entertainment system then the PS3 is for you.

Oh and those people that claim PS3 is soooo expensive see below please:

360 w/ 20 gig HD, external HD DVD drive, and wireless capabilities - $600
PS3 60 gig HD, built in Blu Ray, built in Wireless - $600

CASE CLOSED

CASE CLOSED

I paid $330 for my xbox360 from Overstock.com (shipped and no tax) and the external HD-DVD for $99.99(on sale at L.A) + local tax.. totals $ 438.00

Plus, this combo has HD-DVD which will outlast Blu-Ray hands down.

Studies are showing that most people buying a PS3 are not using it for HD movies.

The XBOX gives you the option of having that feature if you want it.

Again PS3 will be a powerhouse some day but at the moment its only a shell of what it can really do.

The PS3 is still about games, until those big household names come out people will still bash it sadly. even the PS2 was bashed hard and look at what it did after 5 years.

Bashing aside, I didn't like PS1, PS2, and I'm sure I wouldn't like PS3. Between PS2 and Xbox, Xbox IMO won the battle. I thought graphics were better, I liked the game list except a couple of games on PS2, but wasn't worth jumping over, and finally, I thought the controls were much easier.

I've dealt with Sony before--computers, TVs, VCR's, etc.--and all of my experience with them has not been good. Therefore, don't just blow off some people not liking Sony. The dislike is deeper than most know.

I hope Sony figures out that they need to stop cramming stuff down peoples throats. Blu-Ray will be no different, it will hurt them in the long run. Even if Blu-Ray wins the war, PS3 will be hurt my the price tag caused by the addition of the Blu-Ray drive. Not to mention the added expense and work for developers of PS3 games.

I've read a lot of treads on a lot of forums over the past few weeks just bashing the PS3. I am willing to bet lots of money that none of the people you see on this forum and others who bash the 3 actually own one!

For those of us who can afford it there is nothing out there that compares to the PS3. Out the box I can play gorgeous HD movies, I have enough Hard Drive space to hold my entire 17 gb collection of music. I have about 3 GB of pictures saved. BTW PS3 has the coolest slideshow options. Very cool to play while playing through your music during house parties. I do not own a laptop so instead of going upstairs to check my e-mail and update my fantasy I just use my PS3, yeah it has a web browser, smart huh. And yeah the video games look great too.

360 is a great video game system, that's all. PS3 is that and more. If your buying a video game system for your teenage son then yeah get the 360 but if you are an adult that spends allot of money on their entertainment system then the PS3 is for you.

CASE CLOSED

this is why I own both systems. I don't care about a war I just like features on both sides.

how is the quality of the hdmi cable packaged with the ps3. do you think it is good quality or would you recommend buying a seperate one.

The PS3 does not come with a HDMI cable. It only comes with the composite cables (red, white, yellow). This is one thing that I think Sony did wrong.

The PS3 does not come with a HDMI cable. It only comes with the composite cables (red, white, yellow). This is one thing that I think Sony did wrong.
thats the big drawback, ps3 should come with both hdmi and component cables, its a joke that it doesn't

i fancy my ps3 right out of the box a real expensive ps2 with bluray

doesnt take much to include 2 extra cables in the box

once my component cables arrive im sure ill find my ps3 more useful

I paid $330 for my xbox360 from Overstock.com (shipped and no tax) and the external HD-DVD for $99.99(on sale at L.A) + local tax.. totals $ 438.00

Plus, this combo has HD-DVD which will outlast Blu-Ray hands down.

Wow...I'd love the HD-DVD for $99... what is L.A.?

Big deal with no cables. Buy one from monoprice for 6 bucks. People like to bitch over the stupidest things.

And the first post is DEAD ON.

The big deal about this is that most people will think that it has everything that it needs for HD out of the box and then not be very impressed with the PQ. This will give the PS3 and Blu-Ray unneeded negative attention. They don't need to provide HDMI but it should at least have component cables included.

The big deal about this is that most people will think that it has everything that it needs for HD out of the box and then not be very impressed with the PQ. This will give the PS3 and Blu-Ray unneeded negative attention. They don't need to provide HDMI but it should at least have component cables included.

I agree somewhat! The 60gig should include component or HDMI. But the 20gig, shouldn't. This is more like what the 360 offered for its Premium 360 and Core. I must admit I was upset that I bought the 60gig and had to run back to the store for a HDMI cable. But, it was still only a minor setback. Once I got the PS3 up and running, I hardly even remembered what was included in the box and what wasn't. Too excited and amazed at the 1080p quality of BD.;)

CASE CLOSED

I own both the ps3 and the xbox 360 and although they are both good systems, the 360 is a much better experience... I do not even use the ps3 anymore.

Big deal with no cables. Buy one from monoprice for 6 bucks. People like to bitch over the stupidest things.

And the first post is DEAD ON.

Yeah, but most people are going to pay for the high priced crap at CC or BB or where ever after they open the box or after the salesperson tells them no HDMI cable.

Also, I finally saw a PS3 in action and hands on tonight, one of my friends decided to buy one of the 12 that have been sitting at target for over a week now.

He bought Resistance Fall of Man and Madden 07.
He had an HDMI cable already.
  • Overall first impression, was ok, this is a pretty nice system
  • Games loaded as I would expect (not screaming but not slow like some claim)
  • Madden was nothing special compared to my 360, game play seemed slow for some reason, but not sure why
  • Fall of Man was fun, but I felt Gears of War was more visually stunning (not saying fall of man is bad at all)
  • System is sleek and slightly quieter than my 360 (I don't have additional cooling on my 360)
  • One blu-ray movie we tried was Superman Returns. PQ did no seem much different then the HD-DVD version

Overall, once the system gets some legs under it I see some nice competition for 360. The price point being the only major difference for pure-gameplayers.

I agree with others, give the ps3 some time and it will do ok. I think that 1/2 of the people that post neg. about any system is they are just very biased toward another.

Ya week now.

• Overall first impression, was ok, this is a pretty nice system

Yes it Is!!
  • Games loaded as I would expect (not screaming but not slow like some claim)

Thank you. It loads just as fast at the 360 for all I've noticed.
  • Madden was nothing special compared to my 360, game play seemed slow for some reason, but not sure why

Its a port. They basically look the same. I felt the gameplay was a bit slower as well, but it wasn't a problem after a couple of minutes.

• Fall of Man was fun, but I felt Gears of War was more visually stunning (not saying fall of man is bad at all)

I 100% agree that GoW was more graphically stunning, but one must also remember that RFoM was a 1st gen title. That makes a difference, but I still enjoyed RFoM over GoW, because it took so much longer to finish the game and the weapons are bad ass.
  • System is sleek and slightly quieter than my 360 (I don't have additional cooling on my 360)

Very Sleek, and honestly I'd say that it is 5X quieter. I have to turn off my 360 all the time, whereas I leave the PS on all the time b/c I can't hear it. I prefer to leave my systems on like my computers. I may get a SPL meter to test it one day and post a video.
  • One blu-ray movie we tried was Superman Returns. PQ did no seem much different then the HD-DVD version

Honestly, it is not. Also that is not a good movie PQ wise at all for BD or HVD. Check out Kingdom of Heaven.

Overall, once the system gets some legs under it I see some nice competition for 360. The price point being the only major difference for pure-gameplayers.

It's nice to see something unbiased. Both consoles are great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)