Don't put AZbox premuim Plus on top your 4dtv!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gardo403

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 25, 2009
S.E. Wisconsin
Ok, I spent days chasing this one! 4dtv was losing DC lock every 5-10 seconds...

First swaped out LNBFs (No change, but shes tweaked perfect now ) :mad:
Second new Coax (also no change):mad:
Took the 922 out of the rack to remove VC unit and check for bad capacitors
then things got better! :)(cause the azbox was not near the 4dtv box But I had not figure out that yet!)

Put everthing back and the 4d is dropping DC lock every 5 seconds agian:eek:

So I rip 4dtv out and put it on the floor, then It's fine agian.. hmmmm

This is the first time I''ve ever seen something like that,wow!

Guessing the wireless network broadcasting into the 4dtv ???

funny thing is I'm not even using the wireless! I have it plugged in to the Ethernet port directly.

Just thought I let people know so they do waste as much time as I did.....

I wouldn't put anything on top of the 4DTV because it needs it's ventilation. What would be interesting to try is to put a piece of steel plate between the two receivers and see if that alleviates the issue. In theory the steel should block the stray RF.

Actually you would

IMHO you would be better off not to put anything on either receiver. Almost every receiver I own plainly says in the instruction manuals not to place anything on the receiver or place the receiver inside something it can't vent or where air flow is restricted. Just for a Quick test you could try tin foil between the two but still I would not sit the two receivers on top of the other. The foil should be enough to block any stray RF getting into the 4DTV receiver.

I can tell you from my own problems with wireless internet and poor sheilding that you can have some troubles due to stray RF. My problems are the receiver or Feedlines messing with my internet connections. My solution was to move my Netgear wireless router and my internet cables are seperated from any feedlines from my receivers.

Todays receivers lack proper RF shielding and todays wireless routers are cheaply made. The combo makes for some problems concerning stray RF.

I would just make sure any of your internet cables do not come close or in contact with your satellite feedlines. Seperate them and make sure you don't have an internet cable the same length as the feedline.

Don't stack your receivers, you may not have any problems up front but over time this could damage your equipment due to lack of air flow and over heating.

I just got the azbox and wanted to try it out on the Main LR Tv .. The Rack is one that only has spots for 4 components.. Amp/tuner, Center Speaker , 4dtv , hd dvd player, DN 221k and now the AZ plus.

I would say that even if I put the Az Above the 4dtv in a different shelf It would have still done it. It had to be pretty far away before the dropping DC lock went away. ( a good foot)

Id bet a iron plate would stop it too.. :)
my Wife would have given me the weirdest look

Think of it this way, back when The big M was designing these, they probably never had something that advanced (azbox) sitting on or by it..

Wonder what would happen if you fired up a old Motorola Flip phone by it ( ya know the old 800mhz analog ones that you could pick up on your scanner):D

I stack them but put 1-1/2" spacers in between. In my case film cores, but your could use little chunks of 2x4s etc. anything to separate the two units, but not block the heat from escaping.

Try tin foil in between the units for a test. And put it on the bottom side of one rather than the top side of the other so the heat can still get out

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)