Don't scrap your BUD yet - programming available after January 1

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lonewolf454

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 27, 2009
Georgia, US
I heard over at the other 4dtv forum that Motorola ran tests successfully on 4dtv to see if it would be compatible with trickledown emm of hits/comcast 's w5 satellite. Based on comments I read, it does sound hopeful that w5 will be available for our 4dtv's now and after 1-1-2011.

Maybe subs will pick up and will be enough for a combomode capable ird to be made available for us tvro'ers.

This is of course, just speculation at this point. Would we have it any other way??

Yes I have read that too. Official word will need to come from Mike Kohl which he said will be announced on Sat Talk Live when it is. Lets all cross out fingers and toes :)

I have an advertisement on my 922 inbox with sale price of $599 from 2001-02? I think they were originally about $1k, I couln't bite then, my Toshiba TRX-1520 analog worked too good.

Mike said something on Sat Talk that Skyvision would have had to purchase some astronomical number of receivers before gaining access to other possible HITS feeds. I'm not sure what he meant by that. New or used?

But, I'm guessing they would be reluctant in doing so because of uncertainty of the amount of potential subscribers they could generate.

I wouldn't want to get stuck with a boat load of doorstops either if the numbers don't add up.

I wonder how many 410s they have up and running today vs. what they have sold since 2007.

I have this recollection that the 4DTV providers discussed with Motorola the possibility of developing a modernized version of a home DCII receiver. This number is coming out of thin air, but Motorola wanted a commitment for 20K receivers to proceed, which was kind of a deal breaker.

Not that Motorola/Shaw would ever agree to it, but I have wondered whether one could get them to license the firmware for the Shaw receivers to a party that would modify it for 4DTV-like use. I believe the current 505/530 can do most/all of the commercially available DCII (QPSK and 8PSK) modulations, but only decode MPEG-2. The upcoming 605/630 supposedly will be adding DVB-S2 and H.264 support, and maybe even DiSEqC, which is even better.

With Motorola trying to dump its satellite IRD and set top box unit I would venture to say no investment in R & D is going on currently.

You heard the saying: "When a door closes, another door opens."
This seems to be the case. Motorola has decided to move along to other fields of electronics and at first that's seem to be the end of 4DTV.
That door has closed.
Now a new door is opening and the 4DTV is heading into another opportunity. Skyvision is trying to salvage this situation and if we 4DTV system owners encourage them it could become a whole new ball game.
Who knows, if this go on ok, some FTA receivers factory may want to get into the action and create a receiver that does both DCII and FTA frequencies. And create competition with the pizza pan and cable companies.
I really wish that a programmer would allow CHOICES of what WE want and what PRICES we want to pay. It is crap to be paying $70 to nearly $100 a month to watch a few channels we want to watch and the rest we don't care anything about. I don't miss DTV at all.
I like the way the C Band progammers offer their services and I hope this will get better as time go on.
I feel that situation is heading the right direction! :)
Keep on keeping on, Skyvision! :up

Keep on keeping on, Skyvision! :up

Yeah! - Keep On Keeping On!!!

I'll happily give you my Dish sub!

Yeah I had to get one, reluctantly, I still have my BUD subs and will for as long as I can!

With Motorola trying to dump its satellite IRD and set top box unit I would venture to say no investment in R & D is going on currently.

I heard on the news that Nokia bought the STB business from Moto. Who knows if they will do anything. But at least it seems to be out of Motos hands now. maybe someone else can confirm if Nokia bought the STB division from Moto? Have a great day!

I heard on the news that Nokia bought the STB business from Moto. Who knows if they will do anything. But at least it seems to be out of Motos hands now. maybe someone else can confirm if Nokia bought the STB division from Moto? Have a great day!

googling motorola+stb+sale+nokia yields results that seem to confirm nokia has bought the wireless networking portion of moto for 1.4 billion ish. it also appears that moto is restructuring and grouping handsets and stbs together into one of two new moto entities. it seems there should be some new news on this any day now.

crackt out,.

Even if 4dtv does not get back online I will do the dsr410 route from skyvision. Either way it will work for me. W5 has most everything I like at a sweet price.

This receiver was supposed to be out over a year ago
I'm beginning to believe it is vapor-ware.

Shaw is currently showing the 630 as pre-order. I should now expect all the usual 'soon' jokes ad nauseam. The jury is still out on how well it will work, and the 605 has not yet been announced. But such tuners may offer the last hopes for a future in DCII-based master feeds to the home.

It does seem HITS will restore some oxygen to the slowly expiring 905, 920 and 922 receivers. Perhaps that might keep the remaining 20,000 DCII home subscriptions from plummeting an order of magnitude. But I don't see much of an infusion of new subscribers with a standard-definition-only service.

On the other hand there are those of us who would be highly motivated to subscribe to a HD master feed service. HITS would be a decent path if there was some way to demod the newer DCII modes. That will never happen with the DSR-410 or 4DTV receivers, but it could with the newer generation Shaw, or perhaps even with their previous generation. If it was possible to convert a Shaw-compatible receiver to HITS in the past, I would encourage those with the resources to consider something similar for the newer Shaw models. That would possibly get us to 8PSK and combo mode with the 505 and H.264 with the 605 (and maybe even DVB-S2).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts