Downgrading to Welcome Pack?

fmj77

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2017
Western North Carolina
Will Dish allow me to downgrade to the Welcome Pack and also add a couple of the Channel Packs such as Star And Stripes Pack and National Action Pack?

Called Dish and they said if I switched to the Welcome Pack I could only add the Heartland pack. Not what I was interested in, so I guess I'll deal with yet another damn price increase.

I have the Welcome Pack. My account shows I can add Heartland Pack, Outdoor Pack + Premium channels + Fox Soccer Plus, Dog TV, Racetrack TV + Latino Live Streaming channels + Midnight Lounge channels. I didn't see Star And Stripes Pack and National Action Pack listed. Flex Pack channel packs and most sports programs are not available in the Welcome Pack.

I have the Welcome Pack. My account shows I can add Heartland Pack, Outdoor Pack + Premium channels + Fox Soccer Plus, Dog TV, Racetrack TV + Latino Live Streaming channels + Midnight Lounge channels. I didn't see Star And Stripes Pack and National Action Pack listed. Flex Pack channel packs and most sports programs are not available in the Welcome Pack.
That is a pretty complete list of the add-ons that are available with Welcome Pack. I will just add that it was reported in the price increase thread awhile back that Welcome Pack subscribers with the non-grandfathered price also have the option to add the local channels. (Or rather, they have the option to remove the locals, since locals already come bundled in Welcome Pack by default. Subscribers with the grandfathered price do not have the option to remove the locals, since that price is already lower than what the non-grandfathered subscribers would pay after dropping the locals. The $12 savings for removing the locals is offset by a $9 fee for the first receiver that does not apply to the bundled price, resulting in a savings of only $3. Grandfathered subscribers automatically save $4, and get to keep the locals.)

I had the grandfathered Welcome Pack price, and I still chose to fight the $5 price increase by downgrading to International Basic. The International Basic package is not a stand-alone package, as it also requires that another International package be added before you can qualify for it. Still, by choosing the cheapest International package available (Portuguese RTPI) I was still able to save $1 per month compared to last year's grandfathered Welcome Pack price, which is a $6 per month savings compared to this year's grandfathered Welcome Pack price. That also means that International Basic is a total of $10 per month in savings compared to the new non-grandfathered Welcome Pack price, if you are paying the full price that includes the locals.

International Basic has the same add-ons available as Welcome Pack, plus International Basic also gives me the option to add Latino Bonus Pack, which is not available with Welcome Pack. Adding Latino Bonus Pack would offset the $10 savings I detailed above. However, I can choose to add it only when my favorite show that requires that package is in season, and then drop Latino Bonus Pack the rest of the time to save money.

Dish must have changed the rules then, but the info I have it from years ago,.
As I recall, the only time Dish Movie Pack (through all of its various name changes) was not available with Welcome Pack was when Dish rebranded it as Blockbuster @ Home, and included one disc at a time by mail at no additional cost. For whatever reason, Dish did not want Welcome Pack subscribers to have access to that service. I remember that because I had Dish Platinum (the previous name for that package) on my account at the time. I ended up being grandfathered in with Dish Platinum instead of being allowed to switch to the Blockbuster package, even though it was the exact same package plus the added bonus of DVD's by mail. (There was one other slight difference in the package, since Hallmark Movies & Mysteries was also added to the Blockbuster package at the time of the rebrand. That channel was already available with the Heartland add-on, though, and it eventually got added to Welcome Pack itself.) As soon as the Blockbuster service was discontinued, the movie pack magically became available to add to Welcome Pack again.

For the most part, yes, but DISH has overhead increases as well. Employees like raises.... ;)
Okay, so the employees who sell the larger packages should get the largest raises, and that price increase can be added to those packages, instead of increasing the price of the smallest packages. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)