DP 510 Software Updates

Remilk

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 14, 2003
Unfortunately, I travel extensively for business so I cannot always address these problems when they arise.

We have had this setup, DP510 and DP 301, for about 3 years and DishNetwork service for over 10 years. We have never experienced any picture or audio problems that were not weather-related or LNB-related (one LNB needed to be replaced and it affected both units).

About 3 weeks ago, my wife informed me that the DP510 (DVR) began having a lot if pixelation, brief freezes, picture shifting, and audio break-up. There were no such problem on the DP 301.

When I got home this weekend, I noticed how bad and annoying this is. On Monday, November 19, I tried the following steps to try to diagnose or isolate the problem. The weather was clear with wind at less than 2 mph.

1. I checked the signal strength on both units, locals, spotbeams were lower but at virtually the same level on both units; the remaining 'valid' satellite/transponder signal strength was 118 or greater and matched on both units. This took about an hour and I tracked on a spreadsheet,

2. I ran through every channel to see if it was isolates to locals, certain satellites, and/or transponder, excluding PPV. This took about 2 hours and these problems occurred on all channels;

3. I unplugged the DP 510 for 30 minutes; I also checked all connections inside and out. I then plugged the DP 510 in and let it boot up. I then ran the check swtich, the checked signal strength. The signal strength was nearly the same; but all non-locals were still 118 or better.

4. I removed the DP 510 and installed the DP 301. This was to see if maybe there was a cabling problem or a problem in that line. However, there was no pixellation (sp?) with thw DP 301.

5. I installed the DP 510 at the TV that originally had the DP 301. Immediately, there was pixellation problem.

6. I then re-installed everything as original. The DP 510 still had pixellation problems; no problems on the DP 301.

I was too busy Tuesday to call DishNetwork and intended on calling them Wednesday morning.

On Wednesday morning, November 21, I watched ESPN and there were no problems, the picture was clear as bell. Wednesday evening, we watched several shows over a 4 hour period and there was not one pixel out of place, no freezes, no dropouts.

What happened? I know there was a software update before the problems started as the timer clock and some backgrounds on set-up had changed. Was this software updates the source of the problems? Was there a software update November 20/21 that fixwed the problem?

I am at a loss.

Thank you in advance for any insights.

Bob

how often do you turn your receivers off? everything was pointing to bad 510. you did a really good trouble shooting. so if it happens again call dish and have them send you a new receiver

The DP 510 is turned off every night, usually by 11:30 pm ET. The only recordings at night were the Soprano's at midnight Sunday/Monday. During the week, this unit is not turned on until 6:00 pm or so. I do not recall this unit ever being left on all night, though it may have happened. It is also usually off during the day, excluding timed recordings. Weekend, this unit is on from about 7:00 am to 11:30 pm.

The DP 301 is turned off most nights, again usually by 11:30 pm ET. Occasionally, this unit is left on all night.

My thought is that the DP 510 is on the fritz.

Thank you,
Bob

sounds like more to me that your having harddrive issues.... somewhere on this site there was a way to reformat the harddrive , might fix the glitches or it could be getting ready to fail, i have a 522 that will pixilize occaisionly the same way

I called Dish Tech Support. The technican listened to everything I did and said that I did more troubleshooting than an on-site tech would do. Dish Tech Support is sending out a replacement 510. The cost to me is $19.00, which is basically the shipping charges for the new unit and the RMA return; no big deal since the unit is three years old and I do not carry Dish insurance.

I am pleased with how Dish Tech Support handled this.

Bob

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)