DPP Separator and DPP 44

Swoop

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 16, 2005
Well I have finally decided to replace my old legacy Dish500 LNB's and legacy switch with a new DPTwin and a DPP SW44 and I have question.

My original plan was to feed my 721 off of port 1 on the SW44 and use a DPP Separator once inside the house this way I can feed the 721 from one cable from the SW44. My question is will this be okay or will this create a problem when connecting the power inserter? Should I put the power inserter before the line from port one goes into the DPP Separator or should I just put a single tuner receiver on port 1 with the power inserter? I would prefer to leave my 721 on port 1 if possible.

Thanks in Advance.

I'm not 100% certain on this, but experience would tell me that you should put the power inserter on before the seperator coming from the port 1.

ie:

FROM port 1, cable to inserter, out other sideof inserter into seperator... and two seperator cables into receiver....

Just make sure the power is going TO THE SWITCH... the side of the inserter that says to receiver should be hooked to seperator...

Its not really important what port the 721 is on on the switch, If Im able to I generaly place the switch in the basement near the fuse panel so as to power the switch there to an electrical outlette and keep the other recievers on ports 2 - 4. If you still want to put a reciever on port one then you can not have any device between the switch and the power insterter.

721 works fine with separator and DPP44. It's the separator and DPP Twin that doesn't quite work yet.

Swoop, "SW" applies only to legacy switches, it is not any part of the name for DP switches. There is a legacy SW44. The switch you are talking about is a DPP44.

Why are you upgrading? Is there a problem with your legacy setup? Do you have or are you adding other receivers you didn't mention?

You may want to hold off on buying the expensive DPP44. The 721 just got a software upgrade to L177. We have not yet heard if that will enable it to work with the DPP Twin. If it does, and you have no more than 2 receivers or 3 satellite slots, that would be a more practical solution for you.

Sorry for the late update, been out of town for a week. Did the upgrade that I earlier described. Everything went perfect. The reason I went with the DPP44 switch was I needed to ad a 4th receiver to my house and my legacy setup was full with two cable runs to the 721, and one each to two other receviers. I ended up putting the 721 on port 1 afterall. The line from port 1 on the DPP44 comes into the house and connects to the power inserter, then from the power inserter it goes into the DPP Separator then two lines out of Separator into 721, worked like a charm.

Thanks for all the help guys.

I have just had a D1000 installed, with a DPP44 and I have a 942 instead of a 721. I tried the setup as described above and i could not get a reception for 129. Check Switch was ok for 110 and 119 but not for 129.
Is this because the extra LNB for 129 is a DP dual ?
Not sure if this has any relevance but 129 transponder 17 has a signal strength of 43.
Thanks in advance
i was hoping to recover the 2nd cable to the 942 for 4th receiver.

You need to tell us more. How many receivers, how are they attached to the DPP44 (dual feed or single with DPP-Separator), how are the LNBs attached to the switch, etc., etc.?

Ok this is what works, i hope this makes sense. :)
It's a standard (based on what i saw announced) d1000. dp Dual for 129, dpp twin for 110/119. each is connected to the dpp44. (i.e 3 cables to the dpp44 from the dish)
the DPP44 is connected to the 942 with 2 cables, no separator. The power inserter is on one of the cables to the 942. 2 other receivers DP501 and dp508 via their own cables are also connected to the DPP44. Total of 3 in to dpp44 and 4 out.

What i want to do is free up one of the cables so i can use it for the OTA connection or possibly a 4th receiver

the dpptwin wont work with the dpp44, replace that lnbf with a dp twin and run the coax from both dish's to the dpp44 and rerun your check switch,

Im not sure i understand. This setup works today without a seperator, it only doesnt work with a seperator. I think, since it was installed for me, it's a standard d1000 as below. - extract from "SatelliteGuys First Look - Dish 1000 Satellite Dish" thread.

The Dish 1000 is slightly larger then a Dish 500 and comes with a dish pro plus twin LNB and a Dish Pro LNB

Dish 1000 & Sat 129

Who did your D1000 Install and what signal strengths are you pulling in from Sac? I am in the south san fran area and was curious as to who was getting the 1000's and by what installers?

Dave nye said:
You may have problems with that DP seperator and the 721. 721 have had problems not liking thoses,.
What problems?
My 721 (when using the seperator w/ DPP44) can't see my locals on Tuner 1 (Tuner 2 is fine though). After replacing all the cable runs, the only thing that fixed it was having 2 cable runs instead of the seperator.
I assumed the seperator was bad and was going to order a new one.

bk63ross, The Installer was a sub from Rescue, CA. I am getting the following signal strengths
SAT 119 TP 12 Sig 68, SAT 119 TP 11 Sig 80, SAT 110 TP 12 Sig 77, SAT 110 TP 11 Sig 82, SAT 129 TP 7 Sig 67, SAT 129 TP 17 Sig 55. This was on my DP501.

I actually ordered local stations, was told i had to have an extra dish, but the installer installed a D1000.

Call Dish and tell them that ever since day one that your signal strength as been very low and the 129 sat is not even coming in and he didn't put a seperator on the 942 either. They shouldn't charge you since its been like that since day one and it hasn't been long at all since your install. Its unreal how someone would actually leave your house with a low signal strength like that. And that guy calls himself a installer?????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)