Drake ESR 1424 Earth Station Rcvr...What's it good for?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

papabruski

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 5, 2011
mountain west
It sez Videocipher II Plus Descrambler Equipped...

Saw it in a thrift store. Manual is attached.

Does this need a special lnb? Is a 6ft dish large enough? Subscription?
Thanks...

Sounds like an old analog receiver, not much left in analog viewing any more.

If operable, should be able to use it to move a BUD, and/or switch polarity on a servo-controlled feed.

Does not need a special LNB, and there is no subscription programming available for it.

Unless you just need a BUD mover, or a servo controller it's not real useful, and definitely not worth much money in any case.

And if you got it you would want to pull out the VideoCipher module before the battery pukes.

The Videocipher II module is not worth anything and best removed from the receiver.
The receiver itself can be used to move a BUD(power the actuator) and control the polarity of a servo driven feed horn. It can also supply the LNB operating voltage.
It can also be used to tune the last of the analog signals. Think there's only 6 left.
Requires a Normal C or Ku LNB. (Suggest using a LNBF**, so FTA box can select polarity. Use the analog to move the dish ONLY)
**Connected to the FTA box ONLY. Connect LNB input(analog) to Loop Out of FTA box using a DC Block to tune the analog channels.
6ft dish is the minimum for FTA. Susceptible to adjacent satellite interference. And marginal gain for high FEC transponders.
Many have a 6ft on their subbed 4DTV receiver.
btw: to get into programming it, think you may have to, from the remote: Press HELP and enter 0000

Last edited:
I have an ESR 1624 that I use to move my 10 ft BUD. It's old, but they were built to last 'forever'... I think it's a shame that Drake doesn't make digital receivers...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts