Dry erase board

shadowwalker

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 12, 2004
Has anybody ever used an dry erase board as a projector screen? If so how did it work out

Screen

It would hotspot because it's too glossy. What size screen are you looking for? There are numerous cheap DIY options.

Last edited:
Screen

Shadowwalker, which projector do you have? Do you want a white or gray screen? One very popular DIY screen is to use blackout cloth(it's white) from any fabric store, and staple it to a wooden frame you build(about $40 total). Or you can paint a sheet of Medium Density Fiberboard, $30 including paint(This is what I did for my screen). Or you can buy a 4'X8' sheet of Parkland Plastic wall panel, or Doable Board and hang it as is(they're both white). But they're hard to hang because they're thin. There's a lot of info at Avsforum.com in the DIY Screen section.

Last edited:
Shadowwalker, which projector do you have? Do you want a white or gray screen? One very popular DIY screen is to use blackout cloth(it's white) from any fabric store, and staple it to a wooden frame you build(about $40 total). Or you can paint a sheet of Medium Density Fiberboard, $30 including paint(This is what I did for my screen). Or you can buy a 4'X8' sheet of Parkland Plastic wall panel, or Doable Board and hang it as is(they're both white). But they're hard to hang because they're thin. There's a lot of info at Avsforum.com in the DIY Screen section.

Sounds like you did a lot of the same reading I did before building my screen. I used a 4 x 8 sheet of quarter inch hardboard for mine, and painted. I haven't kept up with Avsforum lately, but at the time I did mine Glidden Misty Evening flat was the preferred paint. It's a very light gray color, sold at Home Depot. I also built a small 50" screen out of the same stuff to take on vacation.

I have used both Whitboards and SmartBoards. LOTS of glare...but they work.

I use whiteboards a lot when doing travelling presentations. The trick is to have the whiteboard over on the far side of the presentation room and then angle the projector away from the audience. That way the glare doesn't reflect back. I am still looking for a practical portable screen that goes on an airplane.

I've used one temporarily and it will hot-spot. However, the pricture is very bright, and you can always arrange it so the hot-spot will not be visible to the viewers, by adjusting the vertical position of the projector and the height of the screen.

What is you main need to be considered "practical?

Da-Lite Portable and Tripod Screens
http://www.dalite.com/products/index.php?cID=19

NexTag Listing (of one)
http://www.nextag.com/DA-LITE-Dalite-DaLite-55199774/prices-html?nxtg=2dae0a1c0530-7E92FAE53E678FE7

The ones you cited would be good for a situation where you were working a local area by car, or for a tradeshow booth. However, they would be too bulky for presenting in a working group or customer where you were doing a lot of air travel. However, the following one from the da-lite site holds some promise.

http://www.dalite.com/products/product.php?cID=11&pID=334

Thanks for the pointer. I'll look into that one.

Thats exactly why I asked what your particular needs were, while tossing out some ideas in the mean time. As it seems you already are finding what you might want; Good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)