DSR 205/305 Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ksmithtwn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2006
Canada
I have a few *C DSR 205's and 305's kicking around and I have a few questions about them. They were de activated 2 years ago when I switched to cable.

The questions I have are aimed at a DSR 305 system currently pointed at AMC2 (I know it doesnt work, but Im getting numbers off of it in the menus)

Questions regarding the System Status (Options, 6, 4)
There is a list of different status' that go from A. to V. and I would like to know what some of them mean.

C. Cable System ID: 5
E. Signal Strength: 22
F: Signal Quality: 99
M. Network Data Status: 499-04378
Q. Current Version: 00000206
S. Gatekeeper: 22
T. EMM Providers: N/A
U. EMM Provider: 4128
V. EMM Stream: Yes

This is while pointing at AMC2 at 85W

Question regarding the Manual Tune option (Options, 778, 1)
While on AMC2 (or any other satellite aside from Anik) can I possibly tune anything? Even get a signal? If I were able to what should I change these settings to?

Question regarding the Tune in Satellite Signal screen (Options, 6, 3, 1)
There is a number 1. at the top with a box that says 0, even when you lock on to Anik it remains at 0. If you punch in any number at random the big box below will turn green and say "Correct signal found." this will display even if the receiver isnt hooked up to a dish. How ever I recall if I am on Anik and punch in a number the box will turn red and it will say "Searching for correct signal." What does this do? Can I tune to a satellite and punch in a number and get some where with this? I recall seeing in other Motorola documentation that box had the numbers of 1482 enetred in to it.

Also on this screen, there is section that says "Satellite" and a box becide it that says "A4" which is usualy does. Does this actually ever change? Can it change? and what can it change to? I saw in a Motorola documentation it said Satellite "XB".

On this screen while pointing at AMC2 I am getting a signal of 5%, but when I go in to the "System Status" it gives me a signal strength of 22% and quality of 99% why is this?

I'm sorry for the long post but Ive been wanting to ask all of this for a long time! Thank you everyone!

Questions regarding the System Status (Options, 6, 4)
There is a list of different status' that go from A. to V. and I would like to know what some of them mean.

C. Cable System ID: 5
E. Signal Strength: 22
F: Signal Quality: 99
M. Network Data Status: 499-04378
Q. Current Version: 00000206
S. Gatekeeper: 22
T. EMM Providers: N/A
U. EMM Provider: 4128
V. EMM Stream: Yes

This is while pointing at AMC2 at 85W
4128 means StarChoice is the provider..quality means its aimed at SOMETHING and its locked

Question regarding the Manual Tune option (Options, 778, 1)
While on AMC2 (or any other satellite aside from Anik) can I possibly tune anything? Even get a signal? If I were able to what should I change these settings to?
The SC box is Digicipher II (DCII)...Most of the stuff up there is DVB. If you are aimed at say AMC5 (79W) or G4 (99W) you might be able to get some of the DCII stuff. The way to manual tune is the frequency that LYngsat shows subtract 10750 (LNB LO) from and input that...so

If the frequency is 12000 you would enter 1250.00...the rest fill in like normal. But I think the SC boxes are defaulted to SC only so you might get some of the free channels on SC but thats it.

Also on this screen, there is section that says "Satellite" and a box becide it that says "A4" which is usualy does. Does this actually ever change? Can it change? and what can it change to? I saw in a Motorola documentation it said Satellite "XB".
A4 is what StarChoice is named..

On this screen while pointing at AMC2 I am getting a signal of 5%, but when I go in to the "System Status" it gives me a signal strength of 22% and quality of 99% why is this?

I'm sorry for the long post but Ive been wanting to ask all of this for a long time! Thank you everyone!

I dont know why it shows 99% as normally unless you're aimed at a satellite and locked on a channel it shouldnt be that high.

The big thing is that the SC boxes are DCII and most up there is DVB ;)

Thanks for that, Iceberg.

I'm going to be looking for a satellite tonight, im hoping for 87. Im using a Ku Analog receiver, what should I be looking for, are there any other analog Ku test cards out there becides on 85?

test cards on 85,105,121

Like I say, usually during the week not much on KU analog. Much easier to aim a dish with a FTA receiver and not an analog box ;)

test cards on 85,105,121
I took a look at the listings heres what I got:
85 = Analog Card
105 = Digital Echostar Card?
121 = Analog Card

Can you confirm this? Also, what TP would they be on.. I have 1 - 32 on my channel select.

Like I say, usually during the week not much on KU analog. Much easier to aim a dish with a FTA receiver and not an analog box ;)
Yeah, I dont have a FTA box just yet.. Its been on my to get list for quite some time. I have a PCI Card but its not the greatest for alignment. This analog receiver I have though I can tune a dish in less then 10 seconds by hand, its great!

85 its on TP24
121 I think its TP12...I can't move my motorized setup right now (recording something) so I'll have to check later

all 3 cards are analog

85 its on TP24
121 I think its TP12...I can't move my motorized setup right now (recording something) so I'll have to check later

all 3 cards are analog

Okay, well I dont do my dish moving until night so im still doing research until about 9:00PM..

I've got two pictures attached, one of a dish and the other is the back of the dish.. Its a *C one but its that 75-E-2 dish thats way bigger then the smaller elipitical one. Can I put a few more LNB's on there to get more then one AMC Sat?

Also, on the back of that dish take a look at the bracket, what kind of arm does that take? I cant find one anywhere.. It also looks like its got some bolts on the side for extra support? What were these dish commissioned for? *C service up north?

Attachments

• DSCF0146 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0146 (Small).JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 168
  • DSCF0150 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0150 (Small).JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 146
That bracket is a 2" pole mount If I remember right

The screw is the elevation adjuster (god I love those) :)
The 2 bolts on the side are for the elevation to be locked down

Question, if I were to tune to 101 with my DirecTV receiver.. Can I take the DBS LNB off and put on my Linear LNB to get AMC4 on my PC DVB Card? (Theres also some analog stuff on there)?

Last edited:
Question, if I were to tune to 101 with my DirecTV receiver.. Can I take the DBS LNB off and put on my Linear LNB to get AMC4 on my PC DVB Card? (Theres also some analog stuff on there)?

That will help you to aim the dish, but you may need to tweak it some for AMC-4 due to the fact that Ku linear requires a more precise aim than DBS.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)