DSR-31x Question

joshuals

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
I have a three-year-old DSR-315 that is working fine.

I am currently on my yearly trip to Quebec and have a question for the tech-savvy in this forum......

With whatever technical changes Shaw is planning in the near future, is there any reason to upgrade from a DSR-315 to a DSR-319 while I have the opportunity to buy one while in Canada? Or is the 315 likely to continue to function in spite of whatever new stuff Shaw comes out with?

Not really interested in HD or any new functions....just want to be sure the old is going to continue to work thru the winter......

Thanks in advance for any advice.

The 319 has a different EPG setup (better interface...quicker loading) and has the option for the instant weather

otherwise pretty much same unit as the 315 except faster channel changing/guide loading

found some info on the 315...the 317 was the "upgrade" and now the 319

info on the 317
From the outside, the DSR317 looks exactly like the DSR315 with identical hardware features: 5.1 Optical and Coax outputs, 2 RCA jacks, modem (for IPPV and caller ID), S-video, and the addition of a USB port on the back of the receiver to be used for future enhancements.

On the inside, IT IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT, with a dramatic increase in memory, processing power, and more sophisticated software.

This new receiver has an easy to use picture-in-guide, faster channel changing and access to amazing interactive options that will be coming in the near future.

I believe they say the DSR-319 is "8psk capable" or something like that. What does that mean?

And if Shaw's signal is changed to 8psk will that make the 315 obselete & inoperable?

8PSK is a modulation format that is more bandwidth efficent than the older standard QPSK modulation. Read the attached file that is more for DVB-S2 but talks about the possible modulation options as well. Phase-shift keying - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Once Shaw Direct changes over all their channels to 8PSK modulation the 315 will be obsolete but that should not happen in the very near future. I'd get the 319 and be done with it myself.

Attachments

• trev_300-morello.pdf
    358.3 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)