DSR410 up and running

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Corrado

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2007
Hudson Valley Region, NY
I received my dad's 410 yesterday. At first glance it looks like an old friend the 905. Out of the box it looks like new. No sign of it ever being used, with a new remote and AV RCA cables and manual. The setup instructions were for setting up a dish actuator, I think an error.

At first I thought I had a bad unit as the remote didn't work. I later found this box requires a hit from a provider before it does much of anything.

Out of the box it was on channel 255, and from what I read elsewhere it needed to be on channel 205. Only channels 200-210 did anything. I let it sit for a while and it didn't do much. Very low signal on all but 205. Once I saw the provider ID 4160. I called SRL and it tripped right away.

It then began to map the channels. The "please wait while we process your request" went to a gray screen. Within 2 minutes it had video.

Did you stick around long enough to develop an opinion about it? How it works, pq, etc? I was wondering if anyone had got one of these set up and working yet.

I have it setup at my house for the time being to see how it works. ( I sent my 922 back for repair/ replacement) I used it for 3 hours last night and it works great.

I will say that if someone is trying to set one up to be sure you have a perfect lock on X4. Only 205 gave me a green light with a strong S&Q. The EMM stream only would show on that channel. I had to switch the polarization from left to right from options 6-0. Select Home not Business. Leave the SR and Code on Auto. Code is actually FEC. Once it maps it will have a banner on the top center on the menu from Satellite Receivers Limited. Trip counter went to 15 by 11:pM.

This unit looks similar to it's 4DTV cousin but functions differently. The channel 205 turns out to be ALTV. All the channel numbers are completely different. The EPG is rocket fast and loaded ahead several days. But, no program detail. I'm not sure if that's normal or it needed to download overnight. I didn't check this morning.

This unit doesn't have S-Video but the manual and some pics show it. Perhaps some lucky buyers will get ones that do. Pic quality looks great.

Skyvision needs to let buyers in on some of this. Otherwise phones will be busy.

Still no luck for me. The other night I had a couple of green blinks on 206 but that was it. Today i took the reciever to the dish and tried adjusting still no go.My birdog is still pegging the meter and my viewsat is showing 92% quality on the mpeg2 channels on 99.Looks like it will be going back for replacement.

Is this receiver only for X4? or is all Ku Satellites? or is it just Digital C/ku? i've seen this in the skyvision mag but didnt bother to read up on it? just wondering what it's for

Still no luck for me. The other night I had a couple of green blinks on 206 but that was it. Today i took the reciever to the dish and tried adjusting still no go.My birdog is still pegging the meter and my viewsat is showing 92% quality on the mpeg2 channels on 99.Looks like it will be going back for replacement.

The trick with this receiver is getting it to receive a hit from the provider to become functional. It will not map without it. The unit here did a software download yesterday afternoon. After that, several menu items were different yet again. I wasn't receiving program detail until then either.

Is this receiver only for X4? or is all Ku Satellites? or is it just Digital C/ku? i've seen this in the skyvision mag but didnt bother to read up on it? just wondering what it's for

the 410 is ONLY for X4. The original design was for smaller cable companies that could really upgrade to digital. The customer could plug their analog cable in the box and set up a dish for X4 and subscribe to HITS to get the other digital channels. If I remember right, they could map the channels so the analog channels would be in the guide too. IT wouldnt show the guide but allowed the customer to select a channel from the receiver without having to turn it off when they wanted thier analog cable :)

The trick with this receiver is getting it to receive a hit from the provider to become functional. It will not map without it. The unit here did a software download yesterday afternoon. After that, several menu items were different yet again. I wasn't receiving program detail until then either.

So even without a green DC light I should call and get a hit? I tried last week and SLR said they could not do it without the green sat light.

oh alright thanks iceberg

the 410 is ONLY for X4. The original design was for smaller cable companies that could really upgrade to digital. The customer could plug their analog cable in the box and set up a dish for X4 and subscribe to HITS to get the other digital channels. If I remember right, they could map the channels so the analog channels would be in the guide too. IT wouldnt show the guide but allowed the customer to select a channel from the receiver without having to turn it off when they wanted thier analog cable :)

I also had problems getting my green lock, my problem was polarity related which I haven't actually sorted properly.

I looked for the hidden menu under Options>6>0 but can't find a polarity option.

Are there any other hidden menus for system setup on the DSR410?

I just got mine installed. I got a green lock with an 80 signal. Its been sitting on the Please Wait a moment.... We re processing your request screen for about 20 minutes now.

How do I know when its ready to call for activation?

Scott, I waited 45 minutes before calling - as suggested on the setup paper.

I don't think you have to wait that long though, if you check your system status you will notice EMM provider numbers, when I first set my unit up those numbers weren't there.

On a side, if you go to the satellite tuning where you have 80% signal you can enter one of the EMM IDs and it will say "Searching for proper signal" (something like that) and it will turn green and say correct signal found.

Call 'em now - if it doesn't take you can always get a re-hit :)

Final thought....when I first switched my unit on, the screens were Black & White, they changed to Colour after locking on a signal.

Last edited:
I have called and activated. After about 45 minutes I changed the channel to find out I have been acivated. :)

Just no guide yet. when I press the guide it says GUIDE INFORMATION NOT AVAILABLE.

I don't like the on screen listings for the DMX music channels It looks like this...
Title: Double Wide ParadiseArtist:Toby Keith
Comp:Thorn/MaddoxAlbum: Dream Walkin'
DMXID:0110115680Label:Mercury Records

I think I need a software update, which I havent got yet, if I go into Option 6, 4 and look at Line Q my current version is is: 00000098
On Line R the Target Version is: 00000114

I think soon I will get the 114 version. Not sure how to force it though. Do I turn it off or keep it on?

Maybe I shoud go back to 205 and let it sit. They have a few channels on here that I wish Dish or DirecTV had, the MTV suite is GREAT. I was disapointed that they dont have PBS Kids SPROUT.

Its funny just punching in random numbers lots of PPV even though PPV will never be supported on this platform.

There is a Satellite Receivers LTD. Logo in my guide.

If you have this please let me know what version of the software you are on. :)

BTW here is what I did when I got home, got an old Fortec Dish from on the side of the house I wasn't using anymore, went to the pole where my big 1.2 meter dish is and put this dish on the ground resting against the pole, then hooked the Dish to my SuperBuddy and moved the Dish until I hit the 99 degree satellite. Once I had it (only took about 30 seconds to find) I took some wireties and secured the mount to the pole, then took two big rock and placed it on the sides of the Dish to keep it from moving back and fourth. And now its stuck there and really solid. I will need to mount it permantently later but for now this will do. Got a nice 94 signal, not bad for just putting a Dish on the ground. :D

Excellent setup Scott!

I am running s/w: 98 with a target version of 114

I haven't checked this morning if an update has occured. I seem to remember for the DSR920/922 it needs to be turned off at night for the updates.

Regarding the guide, I got mine straightaway, I have seen the message about Guide Not Available but that was on a channel where I didn't have a lock (Red satellite - read my other post about polarity issues!) - all other channels with a green satellite show the message "Guide information is loading, you can continue to watch television"

I got 114 last night, I now have a few new options under the setup memnu, yet I still have no guide. I am going to power cycle the box today and see if that helps.

I am getting all the channels I pay for. I just hope I get the guide soon so I can figure out where all the channels are (I also want to put together a Channel Chart for SatelliteGuys) :)

Hmmm strange about the guide...

I don't have 114 yet, my rcvr was on all night.

I am now getting program descriptions.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)