Status
Please reply by conversation.

elam budmore

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
sheboygan falls wi
DSR920 HOOKUP

I BOUGHT A DSR920 ON EBAY, AT THIS POINT IM LOOKING TO SEE IF THE REST OF MY OLD SYSYEM IS STILL WORKING AFTER ABOUT 5 YEARS NOT BEING USED. MY QUESTION BEING IS THERE GOING TO BE ANY CHANELL I CAN TRY TO PULL IN (WITHOUT HAVING A CURRANT SUBSCRIPTION TO ANYTHING) JUST TO SEE IF I HAVE A PICTURE AND SOUND AND SUCH? IF I HOOK THE RECIEVER UP, AND JUST MANUALY MOVE THE DISH SHOULD THE RECIEVER JUST AUTOMATICLY RECONIZE A SATALLITE WHEN I HIT ONE? AT WHICH POINT I CAN JUST SCROLL THROUGH CHANELS? WHAT SATALITE WOULD YOU RECCOMEND I HUNT FOR?
THANKS
ELAM

G1 (Galaxy15 @ 133) Channel / TP 5 - Arts Channel
Park it there, then tune to Channel 3, check for "DC" green light on front pannel, on the Remote, select Guide then Info, the guide should populate after a few minutes.

P.S. Turn your CAPS "off"

Last edited:
G1 (Galaxy15 @ 133) Channel / TP 7 - Arts Channel
Park it there, tune Channel 3, check for "DC" green light on front pannel, on the Remote, select Guide then Info, the guide should populate after a few minutes.

P.S. Turn your CAPS "off"

Classic Arts is on channel 5, not 3.

I have my dsr920, but at this point my dish mover motor is not working, i can move the dish manualy by turning the adjuster with a drill at the dish. is there a way to see on the tv that i have a signal with out having the correct satalilite displayed on the screen?

Unless you have the TV out by the dish the next best thing is have someone at the TV set giving you updates. The best thing is fix your actuator problem.
Also if the receiver is new to you then you have to have it activated before the clock will show the correct time and be able to get the guide and digital channels.

dsr920

Sergei
at this point all im looking to do is make sure the LNB and the cable buryed to the house is good/functional, i had a lightening strike here about 6 years ago, and never got all the issues with the dish worked out back then. The dsr920 i just picked up on ebay for $60.00 and if there is a problem with the cable run to the house it may end up back on ebay. so im only looking to spend coin on the basics at this point. with the old system, if i had the dish pointed to a satillite, differant than the one i had showing on the screen i would have no signal, so kinda back to my original question., if i pick out a satallite in the reciever, than manually turn my dish,...through my whole dish arc, will as i get to the satallite will something show on my tv to show that i picked up a satalite?
thanks
Elam

OK, depending on where your dish is setting now you have a couple of choices, first is G1-5 (arts), G3-7 (C-Span) or G4-17 (ABC) or channel 16 with G4 is almost at the top of the satellite arc and both are good strong analog signals.
Until you find your first satellite it's going to be a manual hunting deal, when you find one then you can have the receiver automatic set the other positions.

Depending on how old the receiver is it may not have all the new name satellites in its listing that's why finding G1-3 is important in getting a new satellite map reloaded. But you should still be able to something...with the receiver and cables hooked up do you get any signal at all?

Any inline meters work real good for locking on to analog satellites

Hopefully I answered some of your questions this time.

Last edited:
DSR920

Thanks Sergei
that should help. the problem i having with the actuator arm is due to a broken reed sensor (which i have on order) and i believe that is what the reciever needs to store satillite locations... am i right on that? I see that you have a dsr920 also, do you know if there is a way i can easaly move the dish with my remote control as opposed to having to do it out at the dish, or do you kmow where i may find a online version of a manuel for a DSR920
thanks
Elam

If the actuator is giving back errors when trying to move the dish you may not be able to do it manually, but here 's how I do it.....OPTION 6-4-4 then pick your satellite you want, hit enter, and then use 2 ( Dish position ) to move dish. If your not getting solid error you can use the go back command key to clear the intermittent errors and keep moving dish.
Have you double checked your wires at the dish and back of the receiver?
The sensor just gives the receiver a count back so it knows where it at...remember you have to set your east and west limits before you can program any satellites, with the limits set it then calculates for the locations based on the pulses it gets back from the sensor. All the sense setup in most actuators is a magnet on a wheel and a reed switch.

Sergei
one of the two wires is broken off right where it enters the reed sensor, (by the magnetic wheel) thats why i was hopeing to get the dish limits set and just move it with the remote untill i get a new sensor so at this point i havent hooked up any of the sensor or actuator arm wires to the reciever , in fear of it messing something up on the reciever. most likely im going to take a tv and the reciever right out to the dish and see what i can do. the main thing right now is for me to locate one satalite so i can tell if i have any signal.
thanks
Elam

If you can supply 12 volts to the motor wires it should move for you even without the reed switch, just reverse the two wires to go in the other direction.

DSR920 SIGNAL STRENGTH

Ok I was able to locate sat G1 and chan. 5 the arts. While i was searching for that satalite i came across some others as well ,not to sure what they are. Right now i have the reciever and tv out at the dish as my actuator is still broken. does anyone know how to veiw what my signal strength is and such on a DSR920? I want to get the best signal i can before moving the unit into the house and calling for the authorization download
thanks
Elam

the signal strength is displayed at the bottom of the Options-6-4-4 screen. If and when you get the digital channels (G1-3 and G1-100 and up) a 'Quality' box will appear to the right of signal strength. This one becomes the one you want to pay attention to for digital channels. If you cannot get channels 100 and above, or if a DC light on the reciever display isn't coming on at G1-03, you may need to check and see if your Unit ID number starts with 00-12xx-xxxx-xx. If it does, you may want to do a soft reset, which is to go to G1-03 and unplug the reciever for a couple minutes, then plug it back in and let it sit there while it downloads the updated maps, which can be anywhere from a few minutes to having to leave it overnight before it works. To my knowledge, it will download whether the reciever is on or not.

Thanks Somery
that should help, can anyone tell me if i may be able to use that "quality" box to hone in on a satalite as in moving the dish? will i be able to see that screen while im manually moving the dish?

the quality box will pop up anytime the digital lock light comes on. if you haven't found a digital channel, then you will just rely on the signal strength for now. quality of 1 will pop up right away when your reciever recognizes a digital feed. if you leave the Options 6-4-4 screen up and are moving the dish manually, it would still pop up/ update as the changes are being made. keep in mind that you should use somewhat slow and small movements and find an analog channel first. analog picture will pop up as soon as you pass over it. (no quality box will show on analog channels) Digital feeds take the reciever two or three full seconds sometimes to collect enough information to start a picture, which can cause you to pass a good signal by. your LNB is only bad (this part is my opinion!) if you are getting a solid 'signal 10' no matter where you point. if you get 60's and above, i wouldn't suspect the LNB at this time.

edit to add: i have heard that your model reciever doesn't recognize the digital channels until it downloads the maps, which has to be forced by the unplug/replug method mentioned earlier. I have done a full reset before and it wouldn't show the digital light at all until sitting overnight on G1-03 and only after showing at least a fair analog picture on G1-05 ARTS

oh another thing. first check on that unit ID! go to options 6-5 and check the id there. it should start with 00-12 Maybe another 920 owner can verify that i am correct on the 00-12? or is that only 922 models?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)