Dtv canadian Broker Raided!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The difference is that it isn't against US law to receive (or possess equipment capable of receiving) Canadian content.

In Canada, it is a violation of national law to receive DIRECTV.

thank for the newsflash holmes. I know that :rolleyes:

but as my post said, he is using a broker which HERE at Satelliteguys is OK in my book. Like the folks who "move"...but some people will sit and argue that what we are doing is "wrong"

I pulled a "move" once, I was made I couldn't see Yankeeography and Yankee Encores on YES outside of the viewing area. My dumb ass called tech support trying to find out why the only locals I could get were 2, 4, 5 and 7 which are CBS, NBC, FOX AND ABC respectively. WWOR, WPIX among others said program not available in my area. I finally called tech support (like a dummy) and they were clueless. I finally then realized months and months later about the spotbeam deal, lol.

Well knock on wood, Mines still going fine. Im just curious as to what plan "b" is. If you care to share fire me over a PM. Thanks and good luck to all of us

Name a Canadian citizen who paid for DirecTV, was charged, and prosecuted (fined and/or jailed). It has never happened. And it never will.

Actually there have been prosecutuions but no one has gone to jail for "staeling'a signal that was not legally for sale in Canada. But aren't we splitting hairs here?

Actually there have been prosecutuions but no one has gone to jail for "staeling'a signal that was not legally for sale in Canada. But aren't we splitting hairs here?

I doubt it and stand by my initial claim. For the record, I'm not talking about anyone involved with "hacking" (using, profiting, or otherwise) DirecTV's signals, like what took place several years ago. I'm talking about someone who is paying a monthly bill and resides in Canada with DirecTV taking in revenue from that individual.

No hair splitting here. :D

I don't get it. An admin has stated -- in this thread, no less -- that discussions dealing with such topics as "moving" and "brokers" are permitted on this site, yet the baiting, flaming and negative comments continue. It's pretty obvious what several users here think of Canadians paying for DirecTV's services, and you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but how exactly are you adding value to the thread by telling us what we already know?

I dont want sympathy from anyone. Im simply saying its over and im disappointed. If you feel other wise thats your right but im in no way asking anyone to feel sorry for me.

I don't get it. An admin has stated -- in this thread, no less -- that discussions dealing with such topics as "moving" and "brokers" are permitted on this site, yet the baiting, flaming and negative comments continue. It's pretty obvious what several users here think of Canadians paying for DirecTV's services, and you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but how exactly are you adding value to the thread by telling us what we already know?

exactly. I guess some of the "goody goodies" who think what a Canadian subscribes to is wrong also thinks that they dont lie at all or have done anything wrong :rolleyes:

I have "moved" numerous times. In the 7 years I have had Dish I had my legit address for maybe 6 months. First I lived somewhere where Dish didnt have locals on sat but did the neighboring DMA...so I "moved"...then I moved to that area (back to Minneapolis) and I "moved" to my cabin to get distants. Then when the distants went kablooey I "moved" to the neighboring DMA.

I also have had a Canadian TV subscription for 5 years now. Need my hockey fix :)

no problems here. Folks know we do it and love it. Check the Canadian DTH area and at least 75% of the posts there are from "southern subs".

I guess its wrong for the Canadian folks to get the LEGIT channels and not some basterdized version. A fair amount of the channels that are in Canada are cheap ripoff versions of the actual one...complete with Canadian content. I guess someone going to a restaurant in Vancouver classifies as Canadian content for Food Network Canada (as an example).

sorry for the rant but it never fails. When someone posts how to move or asks about subbing to US TV in Canada some folks always feel their .02 is worth more :rolleyes:

Iceberg...

you are one of the few with any common sense here. I enjoy reading your posts and quite often learn from them.

The idea of Canadian residents not being able to pay for DirecTV is absurd. If the signal is available and they want to pay for it then they should be able to. Just like in the US if a resident wants to subscribe to Canadian satellite, then they should be able to as well.

Unfortunately, it has to do with laws that are out of touch with today's world. Getting lawmakers to change antiquated laws to be more in sync with technology is the only way be done with this whole broker nonsense. Why not make your plan B to lobby your representatives in government?

Last edited:
I dont want sympathy from anyone. Im simply saying its over and im disappointed. If you feel other wise thats your right but im in no way asking anyone to feel sorry for me.

Ignore the wannabe border patrol agents, when they comment shows a lack of self awareness. I would hate to be their neighbor, they are the kind to be in all your business.

Hate to resurrect old threads but here I go anyways :)

I'm in Ontario and my broker has indicated that they were also raided in August. I've been told that my service will eventually expire so my questions are for those that have gone through similar situations:

1. When the service was cut, did you call your credit card company to ensure that the payments stopped, or did they just essentially stop?

2. Have you been able to continue your service with any other broker (or other means)? If so, have you been able to re-use your existing receivers and credit card?

3. Any other bits of information that I should know about, or anything that I'm missing? If this open thread isn't the place for answers and you'd rather send me a PM, I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks in advance.

you are one of the few with any common sense here. I enjoy reading your posts and quite often learn from them.
thank you or do I say Merci? ;)

The idea of Canadian residents not being able to pay for DirecTV is absurd. If the signal is available and they want to pay for it then they should be able to. Just like in the US if a resident wants to subscribe to Canadian satellite, then they should be able to as well.
so true. I and others already do :)

Unfortunately, it has to do with laws that are out of touch with today's world. Getting lawmakers to change antiquated laws to be more in sync with technology is the only way be done with this whole broker nonsense. Why not make your plan B to lobby your representatives in government?
because the companies are much larger. Believe me, DirecTv & Dish would love to sell in Canada. Just that Bell & Starchoice say no.

Hate to resurrect old threads but here I go anyways :)

I'm in Ontario and my broker has indicated that they were also raided in August. I've been told that my service will eventually expire so my questions are for those that have gone through similar situations:

1. When the service was cut, did you call your credit card company to ensure that the payments stopped, or did they just essentially stop?

2. Have you been able to continue your service with any other broker (or other means)? If so, have you been able to re-use your existing receivers and credit card?

3. Any other bits of information that I should know about, or anything that I'm missing? If this open thread isn't the place for answers and you'd rather send me a PM, I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks in advance.

Anyone out there with any helpful tips?

:tux:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)