dtv deals coming up

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

auctioneeral

Original poster
Jun 29, 2009
nj
thinking of getting dtv or dishnetwork.
but i was wordering what dtv would be coming out with soon for there new deals..
i was going toward dish but i'm not locking in 4 2 yrs and discounted only first 6 months... and dtv every time i go to price it out . they want $199.00 for the boxes...
see i got 2 hd tvs and 1 reg. tv.
any info would be great
thanks
allen

Both dish and directv have 2 year commitments and many of the cable providers are only giving the good pricing if you commit to one or two years. Comcast just came out with some nice triple play pricing if you commit to 2 years.

Thats a long time to be tied to any one service provider, but you can also pay huge bucks and buy all the equipment as owned and install your own dish.

i have had comcast now for over 20 yrs with no contract.. i just spoke to a directv person and i asked them about buying my own receivers and they told me i would not be a good because they would still charge the 5 month lease.
like i just told the guy right now have cable at 60 month basic no dvr.. and directv trying to talk me into the choice dvr hd pack at 55 plus lease rec. and after 12 months goes up another 21.00 that would be over 85 month. i told him no thanks

They would still charge you the lease fee, but you'd own the equipment and could sell it at a decent price, and there'd be no commitment or early termination fee, as far as I know.

Comcast does allow monthly payments, but as i mentioned they seriously cut the price if you commit to an annual or two year deal. Last time I checked, they were offering digital cable, phone and internet for $99 a month if you made the two year commit.

You're sort of comparing apples to oranges if you're comparing an analog expanded basic cable bill vs a directv bill with HD, more channels, and a dvr. In my area Comcast would charge me about a $50 installation fee and around $88 a month for their digital preferred with HD and DVR after the promo pricing went away.

The directv similar package is n/c for the install and ~$75 a month after the promo.

Directv does get more expensive up front once you want more than one dvr or have more than 2 tv's, but the monthly fees where I live offset that after a year or two.

Of course, cable pricing varies rather wildly around the country, so YMMV.

They would still charge you the lease fee, but you'd own the equipment and could sell it at a decent price, and there'd be no commitment or early termination fee, as far as I know.

How can they charge a "lease" fee if you "own" all the equipment? Sounds wrong to me.

I paid Directv $199 to start and have 2 HD boxes, 1 is a DVR. I have choice xtra, and HD service, no premiums, no protection plan. First year is $65 per month, then $83 after that.

To buy your own equipment is pretty much negating the 2 year contract which starts out at $480 and goes down $20 every month you have it.

Dish may have a better deal and I believe has less of a contract price. I think theirs is $240 and goes down $10 per month, but not sure.

Dish may also be a little cheaper monthly. I remember it being really close to Directv, but Directv had 2 or 3 more HD channels that I wanted. I went back and forth for a while, but chose Directv.

I got rid of Time Warner cable because of the poor channel selection and not enough HD. The final straw with them was when they added USA HD one week, and then it was gone the next.

see we have basic comcast right now. and only get a hand full of hd channels free.. my son counted the channels the other day and there is a total of about 107 channels which the hd channels are dupicated channels. which he said drop overall channels down to about 90 channels...
i just been kicking this around for a yr or more. and just don't know which way to go...
i'm tried of comcast because like 3 weeks ago going out and in all weekend long... there statement was, working in area....
but i just don't know which way to go... there is alot of directv & dishnetwork in my neighborhood... my son just got dish last week because of comcast high bill... he said he likes dish he only got the 19 dollar plan.
i have 3 tvs that i need hooked up. and maybe 1 of them on dvr... but then my son says i can buy a dvr later and hook up. i don't know...
dishnetwork i talk to and said i only needed 2 rec because they have a rec that will work 2 tvs..... plus i'm confused with the diffent rec. that dtv offer.. standard,hd rec..

see we have basic comcast right now. and only get a hand full of hd channels free.. my son counted the channels the other day and there is a total of about 107 channels which the hd channels are dupicated channels. which he said drop overall channels down to about 90 channels...
i just been kicking this around for a yr or more. and just don't know which way to go...
i'm tried of comcast because like 3 weeks ago going out and in all weekend long... there statement was, working in area....
but i just don't know which way to go... there is alot of directv & dishnetwork in my neighborhood... my son just got dish last week because of comcast high bill... he said he likes dish he only got the 19 dollar plan.
i have 3 tvs that i need hooked up. and maybe 1 of them on dvr... but then my son says i can buy a dvr later and hook up. i don't know...
dishnetwork i talk to and said i only needed 2 rec because they have a rec that will work 2 tvs..... plus i'm confused with the diffent rec. that dtv offer.. standard,hd rec..

Sounds like your wanting to get away from Comcast .
Keep in mind, if you go Sat, it's a 2 year commitment .... For many of use, thats really not an issue, for you it may or may not be.
Look at the overall programming, check out the pacjkages on each and decide what you and the family watch.
Are you into HD ?
How about Sports ? NFL Sunday Ticket ? MLB EI ?
How about Movies ?

Dish Network has the better Movie premium line up.
D* has the better Sports line up.

Go by what you would be watching, use that as a guide.

Jimbo

Actually it's a Lease fee or a mirroring fee for programming.
One way or the other it's $ 5 p/m

Correct technically the official word last time i checked was this

For owned equipment there is a 5 dollar per month mirroring fee for programming. Which technically also applies to lease receivers but dtv waives the mirroring fee for the lease receiver fee. It bleeping stupid but that is what an agent is suppose to say.

Correct technically the official word last time i checked was this

For owned equipment there is a 5 dollar per month mirroring fee for programming. Which technically also applies to lease receivers but dtv waives the mirroring fee for the lease receiver fee. It bleeping stupid but that is what an agent is suppose to say.

Just a way to make money, they could NOY chanrge for addl rec/programming, but seeing they have all this time, if they stopped now, look at the amount of money they would lose.

Actually it's a Lease fee or a mirroring fee for programming.
One way or the other it's $ 5 p/m

On the bill it says "Additional Receiver" for an owned unit and "Leased Receiver" for the lease fee.

First receiver/lease fee is waived, $5 a pop for each activated additional receiver.

Just a way to make money,

Of course it is. DirecTV is a business and they set the prices so they can make a profit. That's what they're suppose to do. If people don't want to pay it they have the option of not using the service.

i have had comcast now for over 20 yrs with no contract.. i just spoke to a directv person and i asked them about buying my own receivers and they told me i would not be a good because they would still charge the 5 month lease.
like i just told the guy right now have cable at 60 month basic no dvr.. and directv trying to talk me into the choice dvr hd pack at 55 plus lease rec. and after 12 months goes up another 21.00 that would be over 85 month. i told him no thanks

A sentence starts with a capital letter here in the US. You're comparing apples and oranges. If you like the price of your basic Comcast cable, you should keep it. IF you upgraded your Comcast service to digital HD with a DVR receiver(s), you would be looking at a total cost that would be higher than either DTV or Dish.

Right now you're sucking up a few HD stations without a Comcast HD receiver. There is no guarantee that Comcast will continue to pump locals in HD down their coax line without you paying for a Comcast receiver. You're just not being realistic about modern video transmissions.

And you can rant all you want to, but the price is not going down for you.

Of course it is. DirecTV is a business and they set the prices so they can make a profit. That's what they're suppose to do. If people don't want to pay it they have the option of not using the service.
Yeah, they're suppose to nickel and dime you with outrageous fees. If they can't get you with a "lease" fee, then a "mirroring" fee is just fine.:deal:

A sentence starts with a capital letter here in the US. You're comparing apples and oranges. If you like the price of your basic Comcast cable, you should keep it. IF you upgraded your Comcast service to digital HD with a DVR receiver(s), you would be looking at a total cost that would be higher than either DTV or Dish.

Right now you're sucking up a few HD stations without a Comcast HD receiver. There is no guarantee that Comcast will continue to pump locals in HD down their coax line without you paying for a Comcast receiver. You're just not being realistic about modern video transmissions.

And you can rant all you want to, but the price is not going down for you.
Yep, the price is the price, that's for sure. :cool:

I paid Directv $199 to start and have 2 HD boxes, 1 is a DVR. I have choice xtra, and HD service, no premiums, no protection plan. First year is $65 per month, then $83 after that.

To buy your own equipment is pretty much negating the 2 year contract which starts out at $480 and goes down $20 every month you have it.

Dish may have a better deal and I believe has less of a contract price. I think theirs is $240 and goes down $10 per month, but not sure.

Dish may also be a little cheaper monthly. I remember it being really close to Directv, but Directv had 2 or 3 more HD channels that I wanted. I went back and forth for a while, but chose Directv.

I got rid of Time Warner cable because of the poor channel selection and not enough HD. The final straw with them was when they added USA HD one week, and then it was gone the next.

$480- Wow-That early term. fee is twice that of DISH's. What would it be for 1 HD-DVR plus one HR20 HD-DVR that I paid for? I am considering D* for MLB-EI since I now have 1 DISH account on contract.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts